Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM

140 posts, read 436,523 times

Advertisements

Take everyones advice with grain of salt - we all have our preferences.

Forgot where you mentioned in NYC area, but my friend in Atlantic Highlands in NJ would sometimes take 3 hours to get into NYC to meet me apologizing profusely over some kind of traffic disaster. I have a series of fun films I also made from my car (video camera on dash) of my making illegal U-turns, going across medians etc in NYC area when traffic became a parking lot. One time heading from NJ toward George Washington Bridge, and especially funny video U-turning on Queensboro Bridge nearing toll plaza, trying to drive out of NYC up north somewhere. Gave up.

Also used to live in Scarsdale NY (27 miles away), and would drive into NYC & would take 47 minutes and was not bad commute think due to no bridges. However, if have to tunnel or bridge it between Queens or NJ, I never knew what would happen, or how many hours it may end up taking. Same east bay into SF, and can be lots of unexpected surprises because of the bridge and the "maze". There's always an extra surprise element whenever a bridge or tunnel is involved. Hwy 880 in east bay is also a trucking route - lots of 18 wheelers. I don't like to drive on it at night.

But everyone is different - my tolerance is less than most dealing with traffic.

If you can BART Fremont over to SF, and like novels, you are all set - 45 minute ride. Here's our transit calculator here:
511.org

The nicer homes are up in the hills.

When you get out here, and drive around, you will get a feel for what you like best. Everyone is different. There is good to be found everywhere, and compromising is necessary. It is smart to be near your job, and more environmentally friendly too.

I also like up around Lake Chabot area, and play golf there. Start by comparing schools first, though, as best to settle in where there are good schools. Fremont does have good schools.
http://www.greatschools.org/california/fremont/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbler View Post
Ok, I am really confused. Fremont is only 37 miles from San Fran. I live in NY area now and we live about 27 miles away from the city. And let me tell you....that Washington Bridge can have some traffic. But we make it to the city every couple of months or so. Why do I need a weekend trip to make it to SF? Anybody, any help...I do not want to be to far from Fremont since I don't want my husband on the road all the time. His benifit...his work schedule allows him to travel at non peak hours...On the road at 4:45 am and back from work round 3:30 pm.
The weekend traffic from Fremont to SF is no problem if you avoid the Bay Bridge and take either the San Mateo Bridge or the Dumbarton Bridge. An easy 50 minute drive.

Driving Directions from Fremont, California to San Francisco, California

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Weekend Bay Bridge traffic isn't typically all that bad, especially if you come from 880 -- except at dinner time.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Used to live in Fremont. I consider it one of the prettier neighborhoods in the Bay Area because of the newer and nicer homes up on the hills (also where the good schools lay). The rest of Fremont is pretty much typical suburbia with big chain stores, just just the rest of the Bay Area. I doubt any new comer can tell the difference between Fremont, Newark, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Castro Valley and the rest.

Also, Fremont has nice amenities in terms of being close to everything. If one is going to live in the suburb, one can do much worse than Fremont. My experience from living all around the Bay is that the burbs along 880 (and most of 101) are pretty much one and the same, with schools and demographic pretty much the obvious differences. Once you get to the Walnut Creek surrounding, then the towns start to differentiate itself more.

Btw, if it weren't for the distance from Fremont, I really think you'll like Walnut Creek. Its downtown is a central hub for all its neighboring towns filled with trendy restaurants/shopping, and it is 30 mins from SF (when no traffic).

Last edited by beb0p; 01-12-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM

291 posts, read 958,129 times
I agree with Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin and Danville (tri-valley) suggestion. This area is super family friendly with great schools, lots of parks/trails and cute downtown areas (except for Dublin). You can be in SF in less than one hour on weekends for some family fun. The Pleasanton BART is very convenient to get to SF. If you want to be closer to SF I suggest looking into Lamorinda (Laffayette, Moraga, Orinda) area but it might be too far to commute every day to Fremont. I am not crazy over Fremont/Milpitas but it is just a personal preference. I just like more open space...in any case, go check it out and see what you think.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM

2,344 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Sunnyvale! Good schools, low crime, very temperate weather. We don't need AC in the summer. San Jose isn't far but is about 10 degrees hotter in the summer. My sister-in-law lives there and needs that AC.

To Milpitas, it's a reverse commute. To SF, it's 45-mins to an hour. Take I-280 to SF, it's a gorgeous, scenic drive through rolling hills and wide open spaces. Do NOT take Hwy 101 to SF, it'll get you there maybe 10-mins faster but has what I describe as an "industrial" feel to it, and more traffic. 280 is scenic and a more relaxing drive.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,841 times
Thannk you everyone! You have been very helpful!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Default Ummm....Sunnyvale & Mountain View

Everyone said for me to look at Sunnyvale & Mountain View for the schools, so I drove by the schools, looked at houses over a few weekends, and didn't like the feel for the area at all, except did love the Indian grocery stores & shops. One of my offices used to be in San Jose, but would never want to live there. Just not my style - flat & suburban, although do get a view of hills in distance, so not all bad. But I need the ocean, the city, a friendly village, or at least be in the hills or near the redwoods - something like that.

Remember to study the school system carefully, as it may have an overall high rating, but a terrible middle school, etc. Any home you look at, study the possible assignments for all schools - elementary, middle & high school. Skip if any school looks unattractive to you. Some school districts assign by address, some by lottery, so always ask.

Livermore is where SF sends its garbage, and is our garbage dump - I would not live there. I also had a tenant who moved into one of my apartments in Emeryville, relocating from Pleasanton, and said she didn't like Pleasanton very much - too boring for her. I love the town of Saratoga, but 30 minutes south from Fremont. Definately check out Castro Valley, right next to Lake Chabot.

Castro Valley Unified School District in Castro Valley, CA | GreatSchools

Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM

291 posts, read 958,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by

Livermore is where SF sends its garbage, and is our garbage dump - I would not live there. I also had a tenant who moved into one of my apartments in Emeryville, relocating from Pleasanton, and said she didn't like Pleasanton very much - too boring for her. I love the town of Saratoga, but 30 minutes south from Fremont. Definately check out Castro Valley, right next to Lake Chabot.

[url=http://www.greatschools.org/california/castro-valley/Castro-Valley-Unified-School-District/
Castro Valley Unified School District in Castro Valley, CA | GreatSchools[/url]
WHAT?????????? Did you know parts of SF along the bay and the Marina District are built on top of a landfill? This also is true for Alameda and Oakland.
Liquefaction Hazard Maps

And yes there is a landfill in Livermore and many others around the bay area. The south bay/Peninsula is filled with landfills! Energy Justice Map

Livermore is a lovely city and ideal for families. Please refrain from talking trash (literally). That's not helping anyone!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Not all landfill is garbage, and some liquefaction areas are reclaimed land from marshes, or low lying areas, etc, not necessarily related to garbage.

In old days, garbage was commonly dumped in bay & ocean, still is in many parts of world. The Financial District area is filled with old ships, etc. Our old garbage dump in Brisbane (30 years) - between 1/2-2/3, is made of garbage. Brisbane is also built on San Francisco's debri from the 1906 earthquake.

But currently about 1800 tons of our trash goes out to Livermore every day. Plans are in the works to move it out further to Wheatland in 2015, good news for Livermore. Another positive is they are working hard at Altamont to make renewable fuel from recycling, powering their trucks. See YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_XZNejVdY

Last edited by Jasmine658; 01-13-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland