Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
hoodies??jersey shirts?? I didn't even dress like that in high school.
Dude. You. Are. Moving. To. A. New. Place.
Why do you keep trying to pigeonhole SF into your NYC worldview?

Anyways, executives here dress the same as everywhere. Business people wear dress pants and starched shirts, but jackets and ties are more the exception.

Almost no-one gets 'dressed up' like they do in NYC to go out. California Casual rules the day, although of course that means different things in a crowd of young designers and students than it does mid-30s singles in an upscale place.

Hoodies and North Face jackets are de rigeur because it's chilly most of the year.

In NYC the overpaid youth are all in banking and finance and showbiz, and need to flaunt their money. In SF they're all in tech and roll out wearing the same jeans and tshirt to dinner that they spent all day writing code in. Zuckerberg and Jobs set the tone, think what they're wearing in nearly every picture - casual pants, ratty shirt, sneaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
hoodies??jersey shirts?? I didn't even dress like that in high school.
People here on the whole dress more casually. However, you'll see plenty of well-dressed people around the bay area (particularly in SF, in certain neighborhoods, e.g. on weeknights after work in the financial district). Also, plenty of people dress well when they go out to restaurants. You won't get looked at like an alien/there's a foot growing out of your head if you have a suit on...but you might feel overdressed in most situations.

I remember my first day of work showing up in a button down shirt, nice khakis, and dress shoes...I was pretty overdressed, as everyone else (including my world-renowned scientist of a boss) was wearing jeans and casual shirts (some nicer shirts than others)). Granted, I work in a science lab at Stanford, but people here just dress more casually at work.

At the end of the day, people here really don't care that much about how you dress (assuming you don't look like a vagrant/bum). You can dress up all you want, but you won't be prejudged if you don't dress up (as you might in other places). The clothing you have described will not make you stand out...and even if you DID stand out for whatever reason, you would still be accepted just fine. This is one of the great things I love about this area!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Zuckerberg and Jobs set the tone, think what they're wearing in nearly every picture - casual pants, ratty shirt, sneaks.
Obviously the couture of the unsuccessful. How gauche.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM

218 posts, read 483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Dude. You. Are. Moving. To. A. New. Place.
Why do you keep trying to pigeonhole SF into your NYC worldview?

Anyways, executives here dress the same as everywhere. Business people wear dress pants and starched shirts, but jackets and ties are more the exception.

Almost no-one gets 'dressed up' like they do in NYC to go out. California Casual rules the day, although of course that means different things in a crowd of young designers and students than it does mid-30s singles in an upscale place.

Hoodies and North Face jackets are de rigeur because it's chilly most of the year.

In NYC the overpaid youth are all in banking and finance and showbiz, and need to flaunt their money. In SF they're all in tech and roll out wearing the same jeans and tshirt to dinner that they spent all day writing code in. Zuckerberg and Jobs set the tone, think what they're wearing in nearly every picture - casual pants, ratty shirt, sneaks.
This is kinda depressing to be honest, but hey at least the weather will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
People here on the whole dress more casually. However, you'll see plenty of well-dressed people around the bay area (particularly in SF, in certain neighborhoods, e.g. on weeknights after work in the financial district). Also, plenty of people dress well when they go out to restaurants. You won't get looked at like an alien/there's a foot growing out of your head if you have a suit on...but you might feel overdressed in most situations.

I remember my first day of work showing up in a button down shirt, nice khakis, and dress shoes...I was pretty overdressed, as everyone else (including my world-renowned scientist of a boss) was wearing jeans and casual shirts (some nicer shirts than others)). Granted, I work in a science lab at Stanford, but people here just dress more casually at work.

At the end of the day, people here really don't care that much about how you dress (assuming you don't look like a vagrant/bum). You can dress up all you want, but you won't be prejudged if you don't dress up (as you might in other places). The clothing you have described will not make you stand out...and even if you DID stand out for whatever reason, you would still be accepted just fine. This is one of the great things I love about this area!
This is good to hear. At least my Charles Tyhrwhitt shirts won't go to waste. Also, this is kind of silly, but are leather jackets overdoing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS. View Post
About this business of clothes-obsession, and how strangers will 'feel' about the clothes you are wearing--I really hope these are chicks talking and not men.
I'm one of the most heterosexual males you'd ever encounter.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Leather jacket is fine. You'll probably only want it in the evening though, as it doesn't get that cold until the sun sets.

(Some) people do dress up for dates and nice restaurants. Sometimes I'll notice lots of people dressed nicely, and I realize, oh right, it's Friday! Women generally dress a little nicer than guys. Some men do dress up more, but they tend to be significantly older than you are.

I walked through the Marina today and checked the local fashion to see if it was any different... but not really. Very typical look was layered sweatshirt + t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

Remember, this is the city where jeans were invented!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM

218 posts, read 483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Leather jacket is fine. You'll probably only want it in the evening though, as it doesn't get that cold until the sun sets.

(Some) people do dress up for dates and nice restaurants. Sometimes I'll notice lots of people dressed nicely, and I realize, oh right, it's Friday! Women generally dress a little nicer than guys. Some men do dress up more, but they tend to be significantly older than you are.

I walked through the Marina today and checked the local fashion to see if it was any different... but not really. Very typical look was layered sweatshirt + t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

Remember, this is the city where jeans were invented!
Hmmm I guess I'll have to adjust. Thanks for giving me the lay of the land.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Somewhere between very casual and smart casual.

>Originally Posted by clongirl
You can dress the way you like as long as you keep your offensive and childish mouth shut.

Don't mind her, most Californians are nice.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
dress well, everybody else does.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Somewhere between very casual and smart casual.

>Originally Posted by clongirl
You can dress the way you like as long as you keep your offensive and childish mouth shut.

Don't mind her, most Californians are nice.
Quote feature

Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
True but I don't wanna look out of place either. When in Rome and all that good stuff..
This is a pretty diverse metropolitan area; you have to decide which crowd it is that you're trying to hang with. There's about every kind of dress code you could think of around here depending on where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland