Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 21,737 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to San Carlos and love it here. My husband works in Palo Alto, and I will be starting a job in San Ramon. We want to buy a place now and am unsure whether to buy in SC or Pleasanton. One of us will have to drive- San Ramon is the reverse commute so probably not too bad. We like the vibe on the peninsula but will get a much smaller house/property for our money compared to Pleasanton. On the other side, we're a bit concerned that Pleasanton feels too remote (we have kids in school- but both cities have great schools and are family oriented...it's more about other aspects of quality of life, restaurants, people's mentality, cultural events etc).

Any comments, insights, experiences are greatly appreciated. Since we just moved here a year ago we don't know anyone who lives on the other side.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Pleasanton is quite conservative leaning by Bay Area standards. It feels more like SoCal (some even call it the "OC" of the Bay Area...if this matters to you). The downtown area is very nice and has some really good restaurants but personally I would stick to San Carlos if I had a choice. Schools are pretty good but honestly I thought there was a LOT of "my dad makes more money than your dad" kind of mentality among the middle school crowd. As a native Bay Arean, I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere (ie, too far from San Francisco and Berkeley) for me to get used to.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM

291 posts, read 957,732 times
There's a lot of old money in Pleasanton and people do have an attitude about it. I hear that's true with San Ramon too but haven't experience first hand. The commute from Pleasanton to Palo Alto is going to be horrible! At least 1 1/2 hour. The commute from Pleasanton to San Ramon is doable. There is some traffic going 680 in that direction (AM & PM) though. The commute from San Carlos to San Ramon will be long (about 1 hour) but at least not much traffic, except for the 680 stretch. Looks like there are not many benefits to move, except for a possible bigger house. Pleasanton is not cheap so you might not be trading up much.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
I don't think that San Carlos wins hands down. I think both have nice downtowns, although San Carlos' is a bit larger. Neither city is really in the heart of the action. They're both away from the urban cores of the Bay Area, although San Carlos is adjacent to more nice towns, being on the peninsula. Both of these towns have good schools. Pleasanton is a bit cheaper, but not a ton. In San Carlos, you have access to Caltrain, whereas in Peasanton, you have access to BART. Pleasanton is a bit more conservative, but its not like you are in the south or anything. Some people prefer Pleasanton for the hotter weather in the summer. Pleasanton feels a bit less crowded. There are differences between the two places, but I think they're subtle.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
How about Fremont?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
If you like SC and your kids are doing well in school I'd stay there.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 21,737 times
Very useful comments. Thank you!

Like expected: it's not that straightforward. I guess, I'm mostly scared of the "OC" mentality mentioned above.....Maybe we just continue renting for a while and see how I go with the drive before we decide.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Very useful comments. Thank you!

Like expected: it's not that straightforward. I guess, I'm mostly scared of the "OC" mentality mentioned above.....Maybe we just continue renting for a while and see how I go with the drive before we decide.
I think its a bit different than OC. You do have some of those housewife types out there, sure. However, there are lots of people who live there and commute to the Silicon Valley, due to the good schools and lower housing costs. So, its a bit more diverse.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
The worst people are actually the ones in DAnville. Yuck! My sibling went to high school at Dublin High. (which in the tri-valley is considered "ghetto") ONe time they had a competition with some Danville kids at Dublin High. They actually said, "will my car be safe here?"

Not sure if you have been to Dublin, but it is pretty much the poster child of middle-class suburbia. There might be one "bad" block.

Some Pleasanton kids can be pretty snooty, I think Dublin is a lot more friendly. San Ramon is hit or miss in terms of friendliness. Alamo, Blackhawk and Danville = snooty.

I also find there is a lot of bias against the east bay in the Peninsula. In reality, it isn't all that different other than the housing stock.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The worst people are actually the ones in DAnville. Yuck! My sibling went to high school at Dublin High. (which in the tri-valley is considered "ghetto") ONe time they had a competition with some Danville kids at Dublin High. They actually said, "will my car be safe here?"
Really?.....that's harsh.

Quote:
Not sure if you have been to Dublin, but it is pretty much the poster child of middle-class suburbia. There might be one "bad" block.
Yeah, I dont get the Dublin hate out there at all. The place is basically middle class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland