U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,567,297 times

Advertisements

The financial services sector in SF has been shrinking rapidly since the recession. I can tell you that I know a ton of people who were laid off and they have not found employment in over two years. These are people who worked in front, middle, and back office for banks such as BGI/BlackRock, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan, and Wells Fargo. Since you are in IT in finance, I can tell you that you are going to have a rough time finding something in SF since a lot of the IT functions have been eliminated in SF. That said, there are still some IT jobs in finance in SF but they are much much harder to find and get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

26 posts, read 25,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The financial services sector in SF has been shrinking rapidly since the recession. I can tell you that I know a ton of people who were laid off and they have not found employment in over two years. These are people who worked in front, middle, and back office for banks such as BGI/BlackRock, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan, and Wells Fargo. Since you are in IT in finance, I can tell you that you are going to have a rough time finding something in SF since a lot of the IT functions have been eliminated in SF. That said, there are still some IT jobs in finance in SF but they are much much harder to find and get.
Thanks for the heads up. I am mentally preparing myself to rough it out for 3 to 6 months. I hope i get lucky and find something within that time. But I got to try to find out. Wish me luck.

Thanks
Rsk

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
SF's financial industry is centered around the area east of Chinatown and near Market & Embarcadero. It's quite easy to get there by train from the East Bay, so you might eventually focus on Piedmont, Orinda/Lafayette/Moraga (Lamorinda informally), or Walnut Creek as offering better suburban value than points to the west of the bay.
I thought abt it further and here is my criteria to find a 6 month rental accommodation.

1) must not be more than 1/2 hour commute either by public transportation or by car to the financial district.
2) must be a safe area with shopping at walking distance.
3) 2 bedroom , 2 bath apt.

With this criteria, what would you suggest as a good place to start looking and what kind of rent am I looking at.

Thanks again for your help

Rsk

Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,598,673 times
You are not going to want to drive to downtown SF, parking is super expensive. Take BART or Muni.

Getting a 2br will really depend on your budget. It would be like $2500 and up for a decent place in a decent neighborhood in SF and more like $1500 to $2000 a month in the nice parts of Berkeley and Oakland. I'd recommend North Berkeley and Rockridge in Oakland for nice neighborhoods with BART stations. Walnut Creek, Orinda and Lafayette would work if you want something more suburban, or possibly Albany. Walnut Creek is a 35 minute BART ride but when you add up getting to and from the BART stations be prepared to deal with a commute that is more like 45 to 60 minutes, 30 is very short unless you live in the NE quadrant of SF which is very expensive.

And if you can't make any headway in finding a banking job, if your IT skills are generally good then look into just an IT job, there is a tech boom going on here both in SF and Silicon Valley. Figure out what employers want and see if your experience and skills are what they are looking for.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
You are not going to want to drive to downtown SF, parking is super expensive. Take BART or Muni.

Getting a 2br will really depend on your budget. It would be like $2500 and up for a decent place in a decent neighborhood in SF and more like $1500 to $2000 a month in the nice parts of Berkeley and Oakland. I'd recommend North Berkeley and Rockridge in Oakland for nice neighborhoods with BART stations. Walnut Creek, Orinda and Lafayette would work if you want something more suburban, or possibly Albany. Walnut Creek is a 35 minute BART ride but when you add up getting to and from the BART stations be prepared to deal with a commute that is more like 45 to 60 minutes, 30 is very short unless you live in the NE quadrant of SF which is very expensive.

And if you can't make any headway in finding a banking job, if your IT skills are generally good then look into just an IT job, there is a tech boom going on here both in SF and Silicon Valley. Figure out what employers want and see if your experience and skills are what they are looking for.
Thanks for your response mayorhaggar. My budget for the rental is around $2500. I would need this place only for the first 6 months until I find a job and get to know the neighbourhoods. 45 mins commute is not bad I guess. How is daly city area. Is it too expensive.

I was looking at rent.com and I found A few places. I have no idea how these places are. Ay input is much appreciated.

Rent.com: Search Results

Thanks
Rsk

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,598,673 times
Daly City could work especially temporarily, and it has BART which is convenient, but most of the year it's socked in by fog so it's gray and windy compared with other areas which are sunnier--the western parts of SF (the Richmond District and the Sunset District) are similar.

Craigslist has a temporary lodgings section, I'd look there for places.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,567,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk12 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I am mentally preparing myself to rough it out for 3 to 6 months. I hope i get lucky and find something within that time. But I got to try to find out. Wish me luck.

Thanks
Rsk
Well, I can tell you that the people that I know who had the most trouble in finding employment in the financial sector were those who were pursuing front office roles. As awful as the market is for Finance IT, it is far far worse for those who work in front office. Your skills should be able to convert to different industries so if you don't find something in the financial services sector you can probably find something in a different industry, I know plenty of people who switched. Of course, that's if you are interested in switching.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Well, I can tell you that the people that I know who had the most trouble in finding employment in the financial sector were those who were pursuing front office roles. As awful as the market is for Finance IT, it is far far worse for those who work in front office. Your skills should be able to convert to different industries so if you don't find something in the financial services sector you can probably find something in a different industry, I know plenty of people who switched. Of course, that's if you are interested in switching.
Thanks X14Freak. I am kind of a general purpose PM more on the IT side but have done extensive implementations for financial service industry. That does not mean that I want to stick to financial services. If I find a good opportunity in the tech industry, I will go for it as well.
Thanks
rsk

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Daly City could work especially temporarily, and it has BART which is convenient, but most of the year it's socked in by fog so it's gray and windy compared with other areas which are sunnier--the western parts of SF (the Richmond District and the Sunset District) are similar.

Craigslist has a temporary lodgings section, I'd look there for places.
Thanks again mayorhaggar, how is San Mateo. I think Franklin Templeton has a big presence there. Is it s a goo place to live.

rsk

Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM

25,241 posts, read 25,345,904 times
San Mateo is not bad. A little suburban, pretty good downtown. You won't be able to walk to much. Things are spread out into office parks, and there usually isn't much near the office park. My company's office is in San Mateo, and there aren't many lunch choices in walking distance even though it is a huge office park. Downtown is decent and has intersting restaurants for the Peninsula. FYI: Urban areas (i.e. Berkeley and Oakland) in the east bay generally have a lot more creative and interesting bars and restaurants than the peninsula. On par with SF. So I am a little biased. My Peninsula friends love to come over and check out the scene because they find it more fun and unique.

If I recall Franklin Templeton is by Whole Foods in a new development with lots of condos and office parks -- they had layoffs not long ago. A former coworker of mine, his dad was working there in San Mateo, and was laid off (with a 18 months of severance). You could find a rental right next to the office, but it is pretty expensive though. My friend was sharing a two bedroom and paid $1400 or $1500. She was in a new place in an OK part of town (on the edge, near the freeway). BART isn't close that close, about a 10-15 minute drive. You could take Caltrain, but Caltrain is 1-1.5 miles from the Financial District.

BART or a bus to the transbay terminal is a superior transit choice to get to the Financial District. That gives you a 10 minute walk or less to almost every office in FiDi. So if you are set in working specificially in the FiDi, the east bay has the easiest commute options. I live in Oakland. The drive to San Mateo takes ~30-45 minutes outside of peak commute. I it is more like an hour in commute times due to the bottleneck in Hayward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland