U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
 
26 posts, read 24,709 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello group

My wife and I work in financial sector on the IT side of the business. I am a project manager and my wife is a business analyst. We have worked in the east coast and mid west. Now we would like to move to CA. Does SFO have a good financial services industry. Hiwndoes the job market look for financial sector. If SFO does not have financial services industry then which part of CA is good for people in that industry.

Appreciate you help
Thanks
Rsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 10,472,997 times
Reputation: 2915
"Hiwndoes?" Must be one of them fancy banker terms.

SF is probably the best place on the West Coast for banking, there's a lot of big banking HQ's in SF. But I don't think there's anywhere as much investment banking or stock trading as there is in NYC or Chicago. I dunno what the scene is like in LA but it's a much bigger urban area by size and population so it probably has a lot of opportunities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 AM
 
26 posts, read 24,709 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
"Hiwndoes?" Must be one of them fancy banker terms.

SF is probably the best place on the West Coast for banking, there's a lot of big banking HQ's in SF. But I don't think there's anywhere as much investment banking or stock trading as there is in NYC or Chicago. I dunno what the scene is like in LA but it's a much bigger urban area by size and population so it probably has a lot of opportunities too.
Thanks for your response mayorhaggar. "Hiwndoes" in banker's jargon means
"we are screwed". :-)

Jokes aside. Which in your opinion will be a good location for me to park myself and look for a job in the SF area. I will have a car. I am looking for a 6 month rental to being with until the time I find a decent job. Once I settle and get a feel of the place I will probably look into buying a property.

Thanks again for your help.
rsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
hsw
 
2,144 posts, read 5,915,916 times
Reputation: 1497
By many metrics, biggest finance industry epicenter in world, outside MidtownManhattan/200 West/Greenwich, is found in SF/Menlo corridor

BigHedgeFunds in SF
Mutual funds/ETFs in SF
Various private equity HQs in Menlo and SF
Tech investment banking HQs in Menlo and SF
Most of world's top VCs HQd on SandHill
BigTechs include massive treasury depts (cos. like AAPL, GOOG, etc arguably have more net cash and healthier balance sheets than any major country in world): sprawled around PaloAlto region in various HQ campuses
BigDumbBank and BigCreditCard processor HQd in SF

Perhaps most yuppies in finance, whether they work in Menlo or SF, tend to reside in SF; like any other major city, families tend to reside in far cheaper, more spacious suburbs, not in city itself....it's an extraordinarily easy drive from SF to SandHill....and intra-SF is a car town, unlike Manhattan and kinda like Chic....driving to office/run errands, etc is awfully efficient in both SF itself and along 280 corridor to SandHill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
 
26 posts, read 24,709 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
By many metrics, biggest finance industry epicenter in world, outside MidtownManhattan/200 West/Greenwich, is found in SF/Menlo corridor

BigHedgeFunds in SF
Mutual funds/ETFs in SF
Various private equity HQs in Menlo and SF
Tech investment banking HQs in Menlo and SF
Most of world's top VCs HQd on SandHill
BigTechs include massive treasury depts (cos. like AAPL, GOOG, etc arguably have more net cash and healthier balance sheets than any major country in world): sprawled around PaloAlto region in various HQ campuses
BigDumbBank and BigCreditCard processor HQd in SF

Perhaps most yuppies in finance, whether they work in Menlo or SF, tend to reside in SF; like any other major city, families tend to reside in far cheaper, more spacious suburbs, not in city itself....it's an extraordinarily easy drive from SF to SandHill....and intra-SF is a car town, unlike Manhattan and kinda like Chic....driving to office/run errands, etc is awfully efficient in both SF itself and along 280 corridor to SandHill
Thanks for the info hsw. This is very helpful. I am, by any stretch of imagination, not a yuppie. My wife & I are in our late 30's and would eventually like a nice suburban home with max of 1 hour commute one way. But to begin with I would like to be in a place that is convenient for job search.

Thanks
rsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Newark, CA
2,016 posts, read 4,026,107 times
Reputation: 2926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk12 View Post
Hello group

My wife and I work in financial sector on the IT side of the business. I am a project manager and my wife is a business analyst. We have worked in the east coast and mid west. Now we would like to move to CA. Does SFO have a good financial services industry. Hiwndoes the job market look for financial sector. If SFO does not have financial services industry then which part of CA is good for people in that industry.

Appreciate you help
Thanks
Rsk

FYI, "SFO" refers to San Francisco International Airport. Are you looking into getting into the finanancial services industry at the airport?

San Francisco is "The City" or just "SF". The entire region is the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,644 posts, read 23,652,953 times
Reputation: 3472
SF's financial industry is centered around the area east of Chinatown and near Market & Embarcadero. It's quite easy to get there by train from the East Bay, so you might eventually focus on Piedmont, Orinda/Lafayette/Moraga (Lamorinda informally), or Walnut Creek as offering better suburban value than points to the west of the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
 
26 posts, read 24,709 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
FYI, "SFO" refers to San Francisco International Airport. Are you looking into getting into the finanancial services industry at the airport?

San Francisco is "The City" or just "SF". The entire region is the Bay Area.
Thanks for pointing that out mstnghu2, so bay area it is.

rsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
 
26 posts, read 24,709 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
SF's financial industry is centered around the area east of Chinatown and near Market & Embarcadero. It's quite easy to get there by train from the East Bay, so you might eventually focus on Piedmont, Orinda/Lafayette/Moraga (Lamorinda informally), or Walnut Creek as offering better suburban value than points to the west of the bay.
Thanks sonarrat. are there any websites I can look at for rentals in bay area. How does one go abt finding a rental not bieng ther physically.

Thanks again
rsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,644 posts, read 23,652,953 times
Reputation: 3472
Out of towners mostly use Craigslist, people who are already there drive around looking for signs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top