U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
 
6,624 posts, read 3,052,442 times
Reputation: 3359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Dogs are NOT allowed on any of the trails on the Peninsula, except for a couple very short stretches in specific parks.
Maybe you can't have them on many trails, but you can certainly have them in a good amount of places: Openspace.org - Great Activities - Ideas for Dog Owners

This is just for the open space preserves and doesn't deal with other parks on the peninsula.

Some more info: Bay Area Hiker: Where to Hike with Your Dog
http://sanfrancisco.lovetoknow.com/w...Area_Dog_Hikes (some redundant info)
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Hikes-Dog.../dp/0898867576 (interesting book, if I were a dog owner, I'd look at)


Seems to be plenty of options. Then again, I don't have a dog so I never think about these restrictions. I've also seen plenty of people with their dogs (off leash) on trails that weren't supposed to have dogs, and it didn't bother me (although, they were taking a risk, I suppose).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-20-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 3,926,039 times
Reputation: 1626
Default Healdsburg for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Thanks, Mayor. We happen to have sea kayaks.

Anyone willing to make a pitch for the Peninsula, North Bay or South Bay?
Healdsburg! North Bay, just north of santa rosa. Google the chamber of commerce. Seriously. The russian river is right there; the old plaza is so well maintained-and much less hectic than sonoma. Many wine shops, boutiques, GREAT restaurants, good coffee, nice people and just over an hour to sfo, with no traffic, of course.(:

I can't think of a second suggestion for you in north bay-perhaps petaluma or mill valley would work? But healdsburg IMO is perfect for your interests.
And it's not foggy at all; summers are pretty hot, actually.
You have probably already gone and come back-but i'm searching threads for myself and this came up. Good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
 
457 posts, read 592,956 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Healdsburg! North Bay, just north of santa rosa. Google the chamber of commerce. Seriously. The russian river is right there; the old plaza is so well maintained-and much less hectic than sonoma. Many wine shops, boutiques, GREAT restaurants, good coffee, nice people and just over an hour to sfo, with no traffic, of course.(:

I can't think of a second suggestion for you in north bay-perhaps petaluma or mill valley would work? But healdsburg IMO is perfect for your interests.
And it's not foggy at all; summers are pretty hot, actually.
You have probably already gone and come back-but i'm searching threads for myself and this came up. Good luck!
Healdsburg is a great town. Not to mention it is home to some of the best Pinot Noir wineries in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Location: A bit further north than before
1,575 posts, read 2,903,201 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Maybe you can't have them on many trails, but you can certainly have them in a good amount of places: Openspace.org - Great Activities - Ideas for Dog Owners

This is just for the open space preserves and doesn't deal with other parks on the peninsula.
.

But check the actual trails you're allowed on - most are only a mile or so long, one is literally a 1/2 mile from the road to the observation point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
 
6,624 posts, read 3,052,442 times
Reputation: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
But check the actual trails you're allowed on - most are only a mile or so long, one is literally a 1/2 mile from the road to the observation point!
OK, but that is just one site. Did you look at the other links? I saw some with miles of trails open to dogs (particularly on this page: Bay Area Hiker: Where to Hike with Your Dog).

Some examples:
Mcnee Ranch (Montara mountain, 8 miles): Bay Area Hiker: McNee Ranch State Park

Windy Hill (7 miles): Walking the Dog at Windy Hill

Sweeny Ridge (5 miles): Bay Area Hiker: Sweeney Ridge

Baylands Preserve (5 miles): Bay Area Hiker: Baylands Preserve

I'm not a dog owner, but all I'm trying to say is that there are (some decent) options if you are...Of course, dogs are not allowed everywhere, but I've found most of the bay area to be pretty unwelcoming to dogs (especially if you're a renter, which is the primary reason I don't have one). This has always surprised me since there are so many dog owners in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
993 posts, read 374,787 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Healdsburg! North Bay, just north of santa rosa. Google the chamber of commerce. Seriously. The russian river is right there; the old plaza is so well maintained-and much less hectic than sonoma. Many wine shops, boutiques, GREAT restaurants, good coffee, nice people and just over an hour to sfo, with no traffic, of course.(:

I can't think of a second suggestion for you in north bay-perhaps petaluma or mill valley would work? But healdsburg IMO is perfect for your interests.
And it's not foggy at all; summers are pretty hot, actually.
You have probably already gone and come back-but i'm searching threads for myself and this came up. Good luck!
Healdsburg is nice, but I think it's too remote. Oakland is a terrific suggestion. Berkley would work too. Of course, there is always the city of San Francisco itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
64,657 posts, read 54,231,258 times
Reputation: 56313
Someone finally mentioned Lake Temescal! Also, there's the Berkeley Marina, and Tilden Park in the Berkeley hills, with Lake Anza for boating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 AM
 
952 posts, read 570,730 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Healdsburg is nice, but I think it's too remote. Oakland is a terrific suggestion. Berkley would work too. Of course, there is always the city of San Francisco itself.
Five year old thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Midtown Sacramento
306 posts, read 450,557 times
Reputation: 293
I'm the OP and just noticed that this thread was revived. I enjoyed re-reading the many great responses -- hopefully they will be helpful to others, and who knows, maybe to us if we ever move to the Bay Area. But given the current crazy prices and traffic there, I doubt that will happen.

My husband ended up taking a job with a different company, so we moved to Sacramento from Portland, Maine, in 2012. We bought a 1929 Tudor in a wonderful neighborhood in Midtown Sac, walking/biking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops and just a few blocks to the American River, where we can launch our kayaks and walk the dogs along the trails. We also have picked up biking, and often ride our bikes on the paved trail that runs along the river from downtown Sac all the way to Folsom. There are tons of great dog-friendly hiking trails and reservoirs for kayaking in the foothills and the Sierras, and we also take trips to Lake Tahoe, East Bay and Marin. My husband used to work a couple days a week in downtown SF, so he would ride his bike to the train station and take Amtrak on those days. Now he mostly works from home with occasional travel -- the airport is just 15-20 minutes from our house, so it's very convenient.

Although we could now live pretty much anywhere on the West Coast, Sacramento is pretty hard to beat for our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
64,657 posts, read 54,231,258 times
Reputation: 56313
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
I'm the OP and just noticed that this thread was revived. I enjoyed re-reading the many great responses -- hopefully they will be helpful to others, and who knows, maybe to us if we ever move to the Bay Area. But given the current crazy prices and traffic there, I doubt that will happen.

My husband ended up taking a job with a different company, so we moved to Sacramento from Portland, Maine, in 2012. We bought a 1929 Tudor in a wonderful neighborhood in Midtown Sac, walking/biking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops and just a few blocks to the American River, where we can launch our kayaks and walk the dogs along the trails. We also have picked up biking, and often ride our bikes on the paved trail that runs along the river from downtown Sac all the way to Folsom. There are tons of great dog-friendly hiking trails and reservoirs for kayaking in the foothills and the Sierras, and we also take trips to Lake Tahoe, East Bay and Marin. My husband used to work a couple days a week in downtown SF, so he would ride his bike to the train station and take Amtrak on those days. Now he mostly works from home with occasional travel -- the airport is just 15-20 minutes from our house, so it's very convenient.

Although we could now live pretty much anywhere on the West Coast, Sacramento is pretty hard to beat for our needs.
Thanks for the update, OP! It sounds like you landed just where you need to be. So glad it worked out for you, and that you love Sac. Have you been kayaking on Tomales Bay in Marin, yet? Give that a try, if you haven't. You could even make it an overnight trip, staying at Inverness, and explore the whole area, while you're at it. We love updates and happy endings! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top