U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:10 PM

310 posts, read 481,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the update, OP! It sounds like you landed just where you need to be. So glad it worked out for you, and that you love Sac. Have you been kayaking on Tomales Bay in Marin, yet? Give that a try, if you haven't. You could even make it an overnight trip, staying at Inverness, and explore the whole area, while you're at it. We love updates and happy endings! Thanks again.
We had planned a kayaking trip to Tomales Bay but had to cancel at the last minute - we will be sure to do it this year. There are so many beautiful places to explore in Northern California. Aren't we lucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM

3,866 posts, read 7,333,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone finally mentioned Lake Temescal! Also, there's the Berkeley Marina, and Tilden Park in the Berkeley hills, with Lake Anza for boating.
There's no boating at Lake Anza. It's a small swimming lake.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 PM

505 posts, read 378,945 times
You should check out El Cerrito. I really find it weird more people don't recommend that city.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:19 AM

48 posts, read 31,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Hello,

I have spent hours researching the threads here, and they have been extremely helpful. However, I still need your help in picking the best area for us. We are a couple in our 40s, no kids, 2 dogs, enjoy the outdoors but also good restaurants, theater, etc.

Here is my wish list:

- Hiking trails and parks (especially ones that allow dogs)
- Places to kayak
- Beautiful views
- Walkable downtown with character
- Budget: 2 bed $2500-$3500
- Ideally an hour or less to SFO and Redwood City
- Not too hot in the summer

I'll be coming out in the next month or two, so I'm hoping to compile a list of areas to check out. I know the Peninsula or South Bay would be the most convenient, but I am really drawn to the North Bay, and I think the East Bay would be worth checking out, too. Thank you for your help!
My wife and I are in our mid to upper 30's. We moved here about a year ago. We picked North Bay. We are VERY happy with our choice. Not sure how much time you have spent in SF. I thought I would love it and possibly move closer eventually. I now avoid it at all costs. Not to mention the traffic! Ugh! Nightmare! We are in the Santa Rosa area. So much outdoors stuff and tons of dog stuff to do and you can still get to SF (early in the morning on the weekend) in an hour or so. The weather is great. It can get a little hot in the summer but just head out to the cost! I have been all over "the bay area" and still have not seen an area we like better.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

299 posts, read 365,031 times
El Cerrito is a great recommendation. The East Bay in general would be my recommendation.

However, this thread is six years old, so theoretically the OP has already moved here.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM

69,878 posts, read 60,942,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVImports View Post
My wife and I are in our mid to upper 30's. We moved here about a year ago. We picked North Bay. We are VERY happy with our choice. Not sure how much time you have spent in SF. I thought I would love it and possibly move closer eventually. I now avoid it at all costs. Not to mention the traffic! Ugh! Nightmare! We are in the Santa Rosa area. So much outdoors stuff and tons of dog stuff to do and you can still get to SF (early in the morning on the weekend) in an hour or so. The weather is great. It can get a little hot in the summer but just head out to the cost! I have been all over "the bay area" and still have not seen an area we like better.
The North Bay has some beautiful areas. Glad you found the right place for yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland