Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM

12 posts, read 56,395 times

Advertisements

It seems that SF rents are substantially higher than San Jose / South bay. What explains the difference? What makes people pay such high rents when they can get a peaceful place with a yard and garage in south bay and don't have to worry about parking, SF driving complexity, etc.

Jobs are mostly scattered between south bay and SF but I think still mostly concentrated around south bay. And many SF people have to commute to peninsula or south bay for jobs.

Is the lifestyle in SF better overall? Or is it because of convenient public transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafetarian View Post
It seems that SF rents are substantially higher than San Jose / South bay. What explains the difference? What makes people pay such high rents when they can get a peaceful place with a yard and garage in south bay and don't have to worry about parking, SF driving complexity, etc.
I wouldn't say that rents are really that much higher in SF, but in the South Bay you do get more bang (sq. ft.) for your buck.

If you live in SF, chances are getting a "peaceful place with a yard and garage" is not your top priority. Neither is worrying about driving.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
South Bay = suburban. SF = urban. In most metros in the US, if the homes are roughly equivlanet in neighborhood levels and amenities, the suburbs are cheaper. It is no different in the Bay Area. For some people, paying the premium to live in a denser area is worth it. Others can't fathom it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,701 times
Quote:
What explains the difference? What makes people pay such high rents when they can get a peaceful place with a yard and garage in south bay and don't have to worry about parking, SF driving complexity, etc.
Reason 53: There are more than 60 restaurants within a 5 block radius of my house.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,671 times
Quote:
?
Some people like city living, some like suburban. What answer did you expect to get?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
It seems that SF rents are substantially higher than San Jose / South bay. What explains the difference?
One reason is that rent control limits the available supply of units in SF. Many people who would move stay because of rent control. This leads to a much lower turnover of available units and the few units available for rent can command higher prices.

For example I know someone who bought a large house in the East Bay but they still keep their very cheap rent controlled apartment on Russian Hill that they had since the 1980's. In a normal supply and demand market this unit would be available for rent.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Prices around Palo Alto and Western San Jose, Cupertino etc are very high. Average prices of similar units around SF and the Palo Alto area are similar, but apartments and houses in SF are really small, on small lots, and are older with less likelihood of amenities--washer/drier, dishwasher, parking, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 AM

12 posts, read 56,395 times
I think only Palo Alto may come close to the rents in SF. The other places you mentioned are not so expensive compared to SF.

Also, the places you mentioned have some of the best schools in bay area and that is why rents are higher. SF doesn't seem to schools as good as Palo Alto, Cupertino or Los Gatos and schools create a lock on the rental / purchase market. Without living in school district your kid cannot go to those schools. Whereas people can always live in a suburb and travel to SF for social life / dining etc.

capoeira had a good point about rent control and reduction of supply.

I wasn't looking for any specific answer but just trying to understand. Personal preference (being city person vs. suburban) is one thing but often economic factors of supply and demand have a big effect than just vague personal preferences.

I also thought that may be some people in SF get rid of a car which is not possible in suburbs. And avoiding car expense, they can justify higher rent in SF vs suburbs. Is that what you see? Because car expense can easily cost close to 1000 per month including everything.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,335 times
I'd rather a urban life, so SF is much more desirable than the suburbs of the south bay. I don't care about a yard or a picket fence. Not having to have a car is a big plus as well. All the money that I normally would spend on a vehicle can go to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland