U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was just offered a job for a firm in the Dogpatch neighborhood. I have been to San Francisco a few times in my life, including this week for a series of interviews but wanted to ask for some advice about housing since I don't know the city very well. Ideally, I'd like to live without a car and rely on public transportation, walking, a bicycle or perhaps a motorcycle. I am 37 years old and initially would be moving myself and my wife would follow in about four months. Any thoughts of neighborhoods nearby where I should look for a one or two bedroom apartment? I have to say I have been really surprised by how hight the rental prices are and the scarcity of properties. I would prefer an area that feels a bit more like a neighborhood with places to walk to and that is quiet.

I really appreciate any insight, I have been struggling with whether to make the move or not and the housing option is key.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,464,653 times
Your budget?

And rental prices in SF are going crazy, there isn't much supply. Compared to just a year ago prices are like 30 to 50% higher.

Dogpatch isn't a great neighborhood to commute to because most areas south of it are either desolate warehouse districts or crappy neighborhoods, and it's not particuarly near any great neighborhoods or any good public transit links like BART. You could live somewhere in San Mateo County and ride Caltrain to 22nd Street Station but San Mateo Co is pretty suburban and you'd have to have a car to get around down there.

Potrero Hill is near Dogpatch but is both kind of desolate-feeling compared to other parts of SF but also is very expensive because it's near Caltrain and downtown. SOMA is similar but even more desolate--it just doesn't have the walkable feel and neighborhoody vibe that somewhere like the Mission or North Beach have. The Mission is pretty cool but the nice parts (pretty much anything west of Mission Street) are pretty far from Dogpatch. But if you were biking it would be an ok commute since you wouldn't have to depend on the flaky buses that go to the Dogpatch area. Bernal Heights would work too for a bike commute. Dogpatch should be pretty easy to park in so if you had a car you could live pretty much anywhere.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

858 posts, read 1,877,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Miami View Post
Hi

I was just offered a job for a firm in the Dogpatch neighborhood. I have been to San Francisco a few times in my life, including this week for a series of interviews but wanted to ask for some advice about housing since I don't know the city very well. Ideally, I'd like to live without a car and rely on public transportation, walking, a bicycle or perhaps a motorcycle. I am 37 years old and initially would be moving myself and my wife would follow in about four months. Any thoughts of neighborhoods nearby where I should look for a one or two bedroom apartment? I have to say I have been really surprised by how hight the rental prices are and the scarcity of properties. I would prefer an area that feels a bit more like a neighborhood with places to walk to and that is quiet.

I really appreciate any insight, I have been struggling with whether to make the move or not and the housing option is key.

Thanks
Dogpatch is a charming area but it is kind of small. There are a few restaurants there and they are all very good. There's a light rail on 3rd St. and Caltrain station in Mission Bay which is next neighborhood over. A bike is the best mode of transportation in the are due to flat roads and pretty distant Caltrain station (1.5 miles away) where all the buses are connected to. Bayview to the south is gentrifying and should have low rents. Mission Bay to the North is pretty expensive. South Beach, north of Mission Bay is very expensive. There's also SOMA (very large neighborhood) which is further out should have decent rents. Potrero Hills to the left of Dogpatch is pretty expensive. Mission is a hot neighborhood which half is gentrified and the other not has some decent rentals. All the places I mention to you are very bike-able to Dogpatch.

Good luck!

Last edited by ubringliten; 01-18-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM

5,953 posts, read 2,826,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Dogpatch is a charming area but it is kind of small. There are a few restaurants there and they are all very good. There's a light rail on 3rd St. and Caltrain station in Mission Bay which is next neighborhood over. A bike is the best mode of transportation in the are due to flat roads and pretty distant Caltrain station (1.5 miles away) where all the buses are connected to. Bayview to the south is gentrifying and should have low rents. Mission Bay to the North is pretty expensive. South Beach, north of Mission Bay is very expensive. There's also SOMA (very large neighborhood) which is further out should have decent rents. Potrero Hills to the left of Dogpatch is pretty expensive. Mission is a hot neighborhood which half is gentrified and the other not has some decent rentals. All the places I mention to you are very bike-able to Dogpatch.

Good luck!
One small side note: Why use the 4th and King caltrain station when the 22nd street caltrain station is essentially in the neighborhood (or right next door)?

The rest of the above is accurate and good feedback regarding life in SF.

If you're feeling priced out of SF or are interested in moving outside of the city, there are towns along the peninsula that are cheaper (but still overall more expensive compared to the rest of the U.S.). Just follow the caltrain corridor south and check some of the towns out. Keep in mind the train schedule, as well, since some towns have express trains stopping at them (for a much quicker trip to 22nd street in SF). My personal favorites: San Mateo, Burlingame, Milbrae, Belmont/Hillsdale (the latter being in San Mateo, but a different area than downtown). I wouldn't personally go south of Belmont as your commute would start to become pretty long, and it only gets more expensive the closer you get to Menlo Park/Palo Alto...these areas might feel to suburban for you, but some of the downtowns are still fairly urban/walkable.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times
Thanks very much mayorhaggar, ubringliten and HockeyMac18 for your advice. I am still negotiating the salary so that is why I wasn't specific about my budget, but it is clear my housing costs are going to be significantly more than where I am living now. Your comments really help though and give me some areas where I can focus my search. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland