U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,385,543 times

Advertisements

You can't compare SF to LA, Portland, or NYC. Complete ack of style and always extreme attempt to "fit in" and look invisible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
blah blah blah...apparently some people wear wet blankets all the time too?
Not sure what you mean. SF had expelled all artists/creative people long time ago. They can't survive reantal competition with the yuppies. People in SF look and dress like drones.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 AM

25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
You can't compare SF to LA, Portland, or NYC. Complete ack of style and always extreme attempt to "fit in" and look invisible.
Portland?!?!?!??!?!!? Do you mean flannel and north face is stylish?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 AM

31,028 posts, read 49,772,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yeah, that says a lot.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
North Face? You're talking about Seattle. Didn't see that in Portland--you haven't been there in the last 5 years. People in Portland often dress creatively, unlike in SF. North Face is where the yuppies live, and it ain't no Portland.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, that says a lot.
I make clothes for performers as a hobby... I don't know what you mean by your comment, but if you think SF has ANY style or creativity you need to visit LA or NYC. Portland isn't LA, but they still have 100 times more creative people living there than in SF, where they all got pushed out by yupppies. It disgusts me to drive through SF on a Friday night and see the display of conformist boring mousiness. Not to mention that SF clubs are a horror. Sorry, but SF is extremely provincial little tech center (where previous culture got wiped out by the dot com boom) that is wannabe "fashionable" city. There's no original art in this city.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 AM

506 posts, read 899,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
What is stylish is subjective. But there are those who believe what is featured in fashion magazines defines "style".

Creativity comes in many form. Some use clothes to express themselves, other do it by other means..i.e. doing cutting edge work at the "boring tech jobs".

Something might be boring or mousy to you, but it could mean something else for the person who is wearing it/doing the job..they are probably thinking your job is boring, or what you are wearing is conventional.

Look around closely, and you will see SF residents are toting plenty of "brand" name products, like Chrome, Timbuk2.

You miss out on some really good, smart, creative and cool people, if you judge them just by the clothes they wear.

Seriously, I do not choose to waste my time and energy trying to impress random passersby on the street by wearing impractical clothes. I am an artist. I put my effort into my work.

But it's true that my Timbuk2 messenger bag is custom-made and very snazzy.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 AM

897 posts, read 807,067 times
Quote:
What? Brand names? I guess you're an expert on those but myself I dunno any of them really... sorry, in SF DO NOT dress creatively, but disgustingly mousy and conformist. You can't even tell the difference between all those yuppie drones that walk around there... they all look the same, standard. Yikes. This little wannabe provincial town got nothing on NYC, LA or European cities. Ahaha, and those ridiculous links posted.... little, little village who thinks they're something.... mousy nothingness. There're NO creative people living in this yuppie pit.
LOL what's this guys problem

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

31,028 posts, read 49,772,921 times
Quote:
I make clothes for performers as a hobby.
So you think your style defines what is and what is not stylish? Welcome to reality sunshine, people have different tastes.

Which is fine, but then you hold up Portland? Er, epic fail.

Quote:
It disgusts me to drive through SF on a Friday night and see the display of conformist boring mousiness.
If the clothes you made were popular, you'd be singing a different tune.

In the meantime, friday nights in cities across America generally have identical dressing styles. Please get over this special anger towards SF. LOL.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 12,564,349 times
Quote:
I make clothes for performers as a hobby...
So...like a part-time freak show? Seems that would fit into many nightclub scenes in the City. Stefon on SNL would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland