U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM

20 posts, read 28,939 times

Advertisements

This was originally my response to a thread about dressing (clothes) in San Francisco, because the topic explored the idea that most people do not consider it to be fashion conscious or its citizens as fashionable people, but I obviously think otherwise. My post just became so long that I decided to make a thread instead and to spread some of my knowledge. My apologies for its length.

Home & Inspiration of Key Designers
Although it may not quite be the fashion capital of the world as New York or Milan is, however I consider it a trendsetting city and a source of inspiration to the style & fashion industry. Betsey Johnson lived in San Francisco during the 60's and Marc Jacobs has stomped around the city many times before, he also has a Marc by Marc Jacobs store on Fillmore. Fashion designers Alexander Wang and Derek Lam are from SF, and from the bay area Erin Fetherston, including the Mulleavy sisters of Rodarte who graduated from UC Berkeley. Joseph Altazurra of French born and Chinese-American descent is an up and coming designer who visits the city frequently because of his mother's roots there.

San Francisco Street Style
New York Times wrote an article about San Francisco style talking about the “tribes” of the city and the different sartorial ways.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/fashion/02Diary.html?pagewanted=all

Here are a few photos of daily stylish San Franciscans you might bump into:
http://streetpeeper.com/cities/san-francisco?type=street_peep

Silicon Valley Meets the Fashionworld
One of the most influential fashion bloggers is Blair Eadie who is based in San Francisco and recognized by people in the industry such as Joe Zee, Creative Director of Elle Magazine. Her blog:
http://atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com/

Christine Suppes of San Francisco, who is a collector of haute couture and vintage, but who is also famous as the pioneer who fused fashion and the internet in her now defunct website Fashionlines.com; which is a precursor long before Style.com. Leave it to the Silicon Valley to combine fashion and the web. You can still check out the archives:
http://www.fashionlines.com/

Exclusives
San Francisco also has an exclusive on the French luxury brand Goyard, which is considered to be more luxurious than Louis Vuitton. Goyard bags are literally handmade, every part of it including its prints. It's only location in the U.S. is in San Francisco. Also, Japanese brand UNIQLO, the Gap of Japan, has an exclusive store in New York. It is gaining momentum and it is currently scouting out locations for a second store opening in San Francisco. This is not about clothing, but SF is exclusively home to Café Pascussi, an Italian franchise. I recommend their delicious Italian style Hot Coco; find them near 3rd and King across from AT&T Park.

Food, Lifestyle & Rankings
The city always ranks as one of the most beautiful city but it occasionally ranks in other areas as well. In 2009, Forbes ranked San Francisco in 9th place as one of the world's most stylish cities.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/30/cities-stylish-ten-lifestyle-style-real-estate-fashion_slide_3.html

San Francisco was the only U.S. city to rank with a Michelin Star rating. This is a big deal if you're in the food industry, but it means that San Francisco has a large number of great restaurants per capita in league with the rest of the world. As New Jersey born Anthony Bourdain put it, author of Kitchen Confidential and producer/host of his own television shows; if New York chefs could afford to they will move to San Francisco immediately. This is due to the endless creativity and no boundaries approach or no bars attitude toward culinary exploration. SF may quite possibly be the first city, or the first to set the trend of pop-ups. A pop-up is a restaurant within a restaurant or temporarily using the space of random places such as a warehouse. Rice Paper Scissors, an independent Vietnamese cuisine ran by second generation Vietnamese sisters, is a great example of this trend. Article about the Michelin ranking:
http://www.refinery29.com/s-f-is-the-only-u-s-city-ranked-michelin-starred-in-the-world

So, now you have something to brag about in the bay area other than Silicon Valley or the Golden Gate Bridge. If not, at least the world is keeping a close eye on San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 PM

6,899 posts, read 17,484,931 times
Can't wait for "The Real Housewives of San Francisco" to air.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM

31,028 posts, read 49,772,921 times
I went to the Goyard grand opening party several years ago. That was quite a coup for SF.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,385,543 times
LOOOOL....SF, plze don't dream you're NYC or LA... cause you're not and people dress mousy

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
LOOOOL....SF, plze don't dream you're NYC or LA... cause you're not and people dress mousy
Yawns....I know. Ive definitely noticed that San Franciscans are generally not brand name wh*res like people in other cities. I guess that's because of high self esteem.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 AM

25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Generally, I think people in SF tend to dress pretty practical: ie appropriate shoes for their day, coats and layers.

I do agree with the overall theme that SF isn't all that stylish on the whole, but there are plenty of stylish people. But at the end of the day, your life and the perception of you is made or broken based what and who you are wearing.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,385,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns....I know. Ive definitely noticed that San Franciscans are generally not brand name wh*res like people in other cities. I guess that's because of high self esteem.
What? Brand names? I guess you're an expert on those but myself I dunno any of them really... sorry, in SF DO NOT dress creatively, but disgustingly mousy and conformist. You can't even tell the difference between all those yuppie drones that walk around there... they all look the same, standard. Yikes. This little wannabe provincial town got nothing on NYC, LA or European cities. Ahaha, and those ridiculous links posted.... little, little village who thinks they're something.... mousy nothingness. There're NO creative people living in this yuppie pit.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,562,109 times
SF is all about wearing a parka, gloves, a wool hat, and hiking boots when it's 80 degrees out. I'm not kidding, when it warms up a bit you still always see people dressed like this, and it's not just the crazy people who seem to have lost the ability to feel temperature, it's a lot of normal-looking people on their way to their boring tech jobs too.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 PM

797 posts, read 1,374,998 times
What is stylish is subjective. But there are those who believe what is featured in fashion magazines defines "style".

Creativity comes in many form. Some use clothes to express themselves, other do it by other means..i.e. doing cutting edge work at the "boring tech jobs".

Something might be boring or mousy to you, but it could mean something else for the person who is wearing it/doing the job..they are probably thinking your job is boring, or what you are wearing is conventional.

Look around closely, and you will see SF residents are toting plenty of "brand" name products, like Chrome, Timbuk2.

You miss out on some really good, smart, creative and cool people, if you judge them just by the clothes they wear.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
What? Brand names? I guess you're an expert on those but myself I dunno any of them really... sorry, in SF DO NOT dress creatively, but disgustingly mousy and conformist. You can't even tell the difference between all those yuppie drones that walk around there... they all look the same, standard. Yikes. This little wannabe provincial town got nothing on NYC, LA or European cities. Ahaha, and those ridiculous links posted.... little, little village who thinks they're something.... mousy nothingness. There're NO creative people living in this yuppie pit.
blah blah blah...apparently some people wear wet blankets all the time too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland