U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
 
23,855 posts, read 45,572,330 times
Reputation: 16604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Obviously the locals enjoy the Oakland's property crime and murder rate.
Spoken like a true ex-pat...

Don't get me wrong... I love the Pacific Northwest and especially Western Washington...

The thing I don't love is the constant berating of the place where they couldn't make it.

There are so many ex-Californians in Washington and Oregon... it boggles the mind... and many can't say enough bad things about California instead of concentrating on the good things of where they are now...

Just an observation of a person that has lived it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,087 posts, read 49,872,432 times
Reputation: 13931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Spoken like a true ex-pat...
evergraystate person has never lived in Oakland to know what he/she is talking about, but instead bases all of their info on what they see on the news. What else is new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
 
23,855 posts, read 45,572,330 times
Reputation: 16604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
evergraystate person has never lived in Oakland to know what he/she is talking about, but instead bases all of their info on what they see on the news. What else is new?
I was going by the location notation:

Location: Bay Area native exiled in Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,785 posts, read 7,009,557 times
Reputation: 4009
Well, I suppose I could stay out of Oakland like I had for most of my life and spend all my money and time in San Francisco instead.

I would think that it's become a "gem" of a city because people like me (ex-San Franciscans that moved to the East Bay) are willing to venture in now days..normally a very positive thing for a city like Oakland.

But it sounds like you want to hang onto it's old reputation of shi**y, undesirable, poverty and crime stricken, and easily avoidable like it historically has been for most of my life. If you want the reputation to be more along the lines of Detroit, then I can certainly stay away so smarties like you can revel in it's wonderfulness and have the bragging rights as a proud local that it's still as crappy as ever was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,045,322 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Well, I suppose I could stay out of Oakland like I had for most of my life and spend all my money and time in San Francisco instead.

I would think that it's become a "gem" of a city because people like me (ex-San Franciscans that moved to the East Bay) are willing to venture in now days.
.normally a very positive thing for a city like Oakland.

But it sounds like you want to hang onto it's old reputation of shi**y, undesirable, poverty and crime stricken, and easily avoidable like it historically has been for most of my life. If you want the reputation to be more along the lines of Detroit, then I can certainly stay away so smarties like you can revel in it's wonderfulness and have the bragging rights as a proud local that it's still as crappy as ever was!

Spoken like a true "Brooklynizer". The problem is this ain't Brooklyn. Again, if you're scared of "shi**y, undesirable, poverty and crime stricken, easily avoidable" Oakland, why are you coming here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,045,322 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
And you're basing this on........?

Pretty sure these people are going to see places outside of Piedmont and Rockridge.

Who are these articles written for? If I were from another part of the country and I read the NYT blurb on Oakland, what would jump out to me immediately is the sub title "New restaurants and bars beckon amid the grit."translation: Before all the new restaurants and bars opened up, Oakland used to be somewhere you avoided but now it's cool. If I knew nothing else about Oakland and heard the constant Brooklyn comparisons, I'd assume they mean that Downtown Oakland is an oasis in a sea of ghetto neighborhoods. People do the exact same thing to Detroit. Even though it has amazing neighborhoods outside of downtown that have been amazing for decades, the only time Detroit is mentioned in a positive light is when someone's talking about the yuppification of downtown. It's great that Downtown Detroit is rising back to its former stature, but the rest of the city has gotten thrown under the bus in the media.

Why should I be "excited" that the same thing is happening here in Oakland? I can be happy about the fact that DT Oakland has been revitalized without liking the media coverage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,283 posts, read 1,582,792 times
Reputation: 799
"For many of us, the old urban grittiness of Oakland was always a big part of her charm."

So you see urbran grittiness as charm? I'm not exactly sure how you define your kind of charm. Others would easily say grittiness leans toward dirty streets and borderline ghetto. That ain't the kind of "charm" I'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,785 posts, read 7,009,557 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Spoken like a true "Brooklynizer". The problem is this ain't Brooklyn. Again, if you're scared of "shi**y, undesirable, poverty and crime stricken, easily avoidable" Oakland, why are you coming here?
Why do you keep complaining that Oakland's reputation is improving? I like going into Oakland because their are some great restaurants and I love the Fox theatre. Sounds like you just have a lot of anger about Oakland getting better. I didn't say I avoid the place but you seem to WANT people to. Please learn to read and relax a bit.

Oh, as for the term "Brooklynizer"...I don't know it. But I'm from San Francisco and I'm sure if Hunter's Point were to improve a bit then it would be considered a positive by most people. I find it weird when you have to be mad about something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,045,322 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Why do you keep complaining that Oakland's reputation is improving? I like going into Oakland because their are some great restaurants and I love the Fox theatre. Sounds like you just have a lot of anger about Oakland getting better. I didn't say I avoid the place but you seem to WANT people to. Please learn to read and relax a bit.

Oh, as for the term "Brooklynizer"...I don't know it. But I'm from San Francisco and I'm sure if Hunter's Point were to improve a bit then it would be considered a positive by most people. I find it weird when you have to be mad about something good.

There was already a great restaurant scene here before downtown was revitalized. Has it gotten better? Absolutely. I would indeed have to be a fool to complain about that. Since you're an SF native, though, my question is why you didn't come to Oakland for the great restaurants before? You already answered that question:

Quote:
But it sounds like you want to hang onto it's old reputation of shi**y, undesirable, poverty and crime stricken, and easily avoidable like it historically has been for most of my life.
The great restaurants didn't go anywhere. So why was the reputation stopping you then but it isn't now?

I use the term "Brooklynizer" to reference the flocking of Manhattanites to Brooklyn when they "discovered" that Brooklyn wasn't Baghdad. They only flocked to one or two parts of Brooklyn though because the other parts were still too "ghetto" (translation: Black).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
10,863 posts, read 8,489,654 times
Reputation: 9573
I know what Nineties is saying, re: the code language being used, but in the end these articles are only highlighting what we (and other Oakland boosters) have been saying all along. Oakland continues to change (i.e. get more integrated) but it's not losing its character. Ishmael Reed and the like may continue to bemoan black flight from Oakland, but black culture in Oakland is not going anywhere and merely has to share the pie where it once dominated all aspects.
Even if it were true most new residents are moving to only a few certain areas and afraid to go to East or West Oakland, eventually many will leave their comfort zone and explore the city and support family businesses which normally might not have made it. Or is the whole point of keepin it real in The Town to stay poor and kill each other while blaming the lack of economic opportunities in your community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top