U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 18,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
I know someone who commutes from downtown Oakland to San Ramon daily. Says 30 mins on 580 (don't take 24 home... the backup can extend to lafayette sometimes).

where are you coming from? if you are moving to the bay area to live in the bay area and enjoy all there is to enjoy (and you enjoy an urban environment), Oakland is worth the extra 10 miinutes than it would take you from walnut creek. I am your same age and i commute to milpitas daily. i moved here for work, but wouldn't sacrifice where I planned to live. the suburbs are hell... even san jose sucks. i really don't like walnut creek either, although it is one of the better suburbs. you only live once and life is short.
I'm moving from St. Louis. I've got offers in LA and San Ramon so I am coming out next month to visit both and meet the people at the offices. I've got friends in both places but the positions will be different so I've got a lot of variables to weigh between location and professional dynamic.

I fully agree with you about living once and not wanting to sacrifice my personal life for professional convenience. If I accept the San Ramon job then I am definitely leaning towards getting a place in Oakland. I'll be staying in Dublin while I am out there so I'll check out WC as well but based on everything I have seen I think Oakland is my best bet. WC is quite pricey and seems a bit upscale for my taste, though I am sure is it is a nice place for the right person. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 AM

15,486 posts, read 9,555,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by createdculture View Post
I'll be staying in Dublin while I am out there so I'll check out WC as well but based on everything I have seen I think Oakland is my best bet. WC is quite pricey and seems a bit upscale for my taste, though I am sure is it is a nice place for the right person. We'll see.
WC is suburbia. Most of the young people you'd meet there grew up there, live at home or hang out with their high school best friends. It would be difficult to meet people. It is really popular with the divorced soccer moms (if I were to stereotype). It would be BORING! You'd finish up the entire Walnut Creek scene in a week. Good for cougars and high schoolers (or families) crappy for anyone else.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Cool update! I am close to accepting the offer for San Ramon.

I just got back late last week from my visit in the east bay and really liked the office area. Beautiful drive down 580 from Oakland to San Ramon off of 680. Easy commute.

Are there any recommendations outside of craigslist for other websites or local places to use for apartment hunting? CL is good but I'd like some other options.

Also - the places recommended to me have been Lake Merritt/grand ave area which is nice, as well as Piedmont and Rockridge (very nice but a little expensive for me). Are there any other places in Oakland that I might want to consider looking at that are active and walkable? I've heard about Temescal but did not get a chance to visit that neighborhood while I was out there.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,595,355 times
Temescal is a pretty small neighborhood as far as restaurants and such. It's also a smidge sketchier I'd say, but definitely improving. You may also want to check out the area just south of Lake Merritt, off of Park Blvd, near the top of the hill. What is that, Glenview or something? Not quite as expensive, but nice, and you're also close to Piedmont and Montclair.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM

108 posts, read 133,695 times
As a single male, I would defintely recommend Jack London Square, Uptown, Lake Merritt/Lakeshore/Eastlake/Adams Point. The further North and East you go, the more it turns to couples and then eventually to familes. Of course, you don't need to live where you party, but on those days where you are lazy and don't feel like venturing too far, you will appreciate that you are close to your friends.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,712 times
I have a friend who is in his 30's and lives in Oakland near Rockridge and commutes to the lab in Livermore everyday. Doesn't seem to be a problem for him. He doesn't like the areas out here but felt oakland was a better choice for him for resterants etc. He likes the variety of oakland vs the vanilla of the trivalley area.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM

How is commuting on 24? I took it east into Oakland on a Thursday afternoon and it was pretty backed up getting into the tunnel. I am assuming it gets bad during rush hour? If I moved to Rockridge I'd have to deal with 24 so I am thinking the areas near 580 might make my life easier.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM

15,486 posts, read 9,555,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by createdculture View Post
How is commuting on 24? I took it east into Oakland on a Thursday afternoon and it was pretty backed up getting into the tunnel. I am assuming it gets bad during rush hour? If I moved to Rockridge I'd have to deal with 24 so I am thinking the areas near 580 might make my life easier.
The worst time to take 24 towards the tunnel is from around 4:30-6:30. But it is likely faster to take 580 to 680 to get to San Ramon most times of the day than 24 to 680.

The Claremont exit moves pretty fast, but you'll have a slow down for that last 2 miles or so. The rest should move fast. You could also experiment a bit and get off on the Harrison exit on 580, head up Oakland Ave to Grand > Pleasant Valley > Broadway. It may be much faster at that time.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM

I'm trying to keep my neighborhood options open as much as possible since I need to find a place that is pet-friendly.

I've seen a lot of suggestions on some of the cooler areas but I may have to stretch my search a bit so can you guys help give me an idea of where to avoid living? I am from St. Louis and lived in Chicago so I am used to diverse areas but I don't want to live in a disruptive area either.

Some of what I've read recommends living west of park boulevard and east of telegraph ave in North Oakland. I know in STL that north st. louis is really just not a place many people want to live since it is crime-ridden. Where is that at in Oakland? East Oakland? Southeast?

I might even look into leasing a little house or something so I'm just trying to figure out what my options might be outside of the cool areas without it feeling sketchy. Even if it's a bit residential that's all right since I'll still be close to everything. Near a BART station would be even better.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,712 times
I just talked to my friend and he does indeed live in the Rockridge area of Oakland. He said the commute to San Ramon would be easy and closer than his commute to Livermore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland