U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 AM

1,082 posts, read 652,908 times

Advertisements

Jeez, you boys got your panties in a bunch over nothing. No sense of humor at all.
Quote:

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan mourns a vending machine at Oakland City Hall, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Jeez, you boys got your panties in a bunch over nothing. No sense of humor at all.
What humorous is that you actually think your clever.

LOL.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What humorous is that you actually think your clever.

LOL.
youryoure, destupidifying the masses

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,677,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What? That's the hood! There are no middle class areas in Oakland. It is only rich or poor.
Reported Crimes in Harrington Oakland Since February 1, 2012
Assault- 2/5- lyon Ave
Motor Vehicle theft-2/6-Lyon Ave
Robbery- 2/5- High street
Weapons violation -2/5-High street

Motor vehicle theft- 2/7- 41st Ave
Burglary- 2/1- High street
Assault with a firearm - 2/10- 42nd ave

Public drunkeness- 2/3- 41st ave
Vandalism- 2/5- Foothill blvd
Motor Vehicle Theft- 2/1-39th ave
Motor Vehicle Theft - 2/6-Foothill blvd

Assault- 2/5- 38th ave
Assault with a firearm -2/2 - Foothill and 35th
Motor Vehicle theft- 2/2- 36th ave

A neighborhood in Oakland where the median family income is 74k is not that far from poverty when you consider a family of four making living on 65k a year qualifies for "low income housing" in Oakland.

Consider the local schools in the neighborhood

Fremont High- This school was so bad it had to go charter (as mandated by law when the school performs bad-we are talking bottom 5% in the state). It just now in 2012 became comprehensive again.

Jefferson Elementary School- Also so bad it had to go charter, which is still the current status.

I'm not saying the area is bad or the people are bad. Everyone has their own set of standards, but to me this is a bit too much crime and the schools are too poor for it to qualify as a stable "middle class area". For others, it may not be.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM

17,290 posts, read 11,992,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I'm not saying the area is bad or the people are bad. Everyone has their own set of standards, but to me this is a bit too much crime and the schools are too poor for it to qualify as a stable "middle class area". For others, it may not be.
This is not an Oakland problem. This is a California problem.

"Middle class" in CA =/= "middle class" anywhere else. To get the stereotypical middle class lifestyle here in the Bay Area, you need a household income of 200K for your 2 parent, 2 kid family.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM

6,917 posts, read 6,803,619 times
Quote:
Reported Crimes in Harrington Oakland Since February 1, 2012
Assault- 2/5- lyon Ave
Motor Vehicle theft-2/6-Lyon Ave
Robbery- 2/5- High street
Weapons violation -2/5-High street

Motor vehicle theft- 2/7- 41st Ave
Burglary- 2/1- High street
Assault with a firearm - 2/10- 42nd ave

Public drunkeness- 2/3- 41st ave
Vandalism- 2/5- Foothill blvd
Motor Vehicle Theft- 2/1-39th ave
Motor Vehicle Theft - 2/6-Foothill blvd

Assault- 2/5- 38th ave
Assault with a firearm -2/2 - Foothill and 35th
Motor Vehicle theft- 2/2- 36th ave

A neighborhood in Oakland where the median family income is 74k is not that far from poverty when you consider a family of four making living on 65k a year qualifies for "low income housing" in Oakland.

Consider the local schools in the neighborhood

Fremont High- This school was so bad it had to go charter (as mandated by law when the school performs bad-we are talking bottom 5% in the state). It just now in 2012 became comprehensive again.

Jefferson Elementary School- Also so bad it had to go charter, which is still the current status.

Harrington is bounded by 35th and 38th. The vast majority of those crimes did not happen in Harrington, they happened in neighboring Jefferson. Foothill Blvd doesn't really pertain to the neighborhood either.

And the middle class families in Harrington generally don't send their kids to the neighborhood public schools, they go to schools like St. Jarlath's or American Indian or the Aspire schools. Should they have to go outside of their neighborhood for their kids to get a good education? No, but like Jade said that's the way it's been in California for decades.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 AM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is not an Oakland problem. This is a California problem.

"Middle class" in CA =/= "middle class" anywhere else. To get the stereotypical middle class lifestyle here in the Bay Area, you need a household income of 200K for your 2 parent, 2 kid family.
Thank You.

As if every city on the coast isnt lacking in traditional middle class areas.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,677,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Harrington is bounded by 35th and 38th. The vast majority of those crimes did not happen in Harrington, they happened in neighboring Jefferson. Foothill Blvd doesn't really pertain to the neighborhood either.

And the middle class families in Harrington generally don't send their kids to the neighborhood public schools, they go to schools like St. Jarlath's or American Indian or the Aspire schools. Should they have to go outside of their neighborhood for their kids to get a good education? No, but like Jade said that's the way it's been in California for decades.
Thanks for pointing that out, that was not intentional, btw. But I still disagree..

-First and foremost foothill is very relevant to that neighborhood. That the main arterial road for the neighborhood, with many side streets feeding onto it. That's like trying to say Grand is not relevant to uptown.

-If you live on 37th and someone gets stabbed over on 40th are you going to be like "well that's over there in Jefferson", or is your reaction going to be "damn that was 3 blocks away".

- St Jarlath is an option, but most families can not afford the hefty tuition. Catholic schools do try to help lesser income people, but there is only so much to go around, so kids who are part of the perish typically get first dibs.

-American Indian is good, but it is highly competitive and selective. Most kids simply do not have "what it takes" to get into this school. That school is for the cream of the crop.

- The Aspire school ranks so low that at that point you might as well just stick with the Jefferson neighborhood campus.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM

6,917 posts, read 6,803,619 times
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, that was not intentional, btw. But I still disagree..

a) -First and foremost foothill is very relevant to that neighborhood. That the main arterial road for the neighborhood, with many side streets feeding onto it. That's like trying to say Grand is not relevant to uptown.

b) -If you live on 37th and someone gets stabbed over on 40th are you going to be like "well that's over there in Jefferson", or is your reaction going to be "damn that was 3 blocks away".

c) - St Jarlath is an option, but most families can not afford the hefty tuition. Catholic schools do try to help lesser income people, but there is only so much to go around, so kids who are part of the perish typically get first dibs.

d) -American Indian is good, but it is highly competitive and selective. Most kids simply do not have "what it takes" to get into this school. That school is for the cream of the crop.

e) - The Aspire school ranks so low that at that point you might as well just stick with the Jefferson neighborhood campus.
I lettered your points to correspond to my answers.

a) The point I was making about Foothill is that you get people from all over East Oakland on all parts of Foothill at all times... a crime - particularly a violent crime - that happens in the Harrington section (and other sections) of Foothill can literally have nothing to do with the neighborhood residents. And the Fruitvale/Foothill intersection is much more of a destination for people in the 30's (including Harrington) than the part of Foothill between 35th and 38th.

b) Strangely enough, that's how violent crime seems to work in Oakland... it seldomly spills over from a worse neighborhood into a better neighborhood. Crossing from one side of 38th to the other literally changes the demographics of the neighborhood you're in... while the proximity of the hypothetical stabbing would indeed bother me if I lived in Harrington, that would lead me to believe I should spend less time in Jefferson instead of wondering if it's going to happen in Harrington next.

c) 75%+ of the student body at St. Jarlath's is on some form of aid... I know that from currently volunteering there. It's also mentioned in this article:

The Catholic Voice - an online publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland

Not everyone will be able to afford it but people who live in Harrington tend to be able to generally speaking.

d) This is true.

e) There's a variety of Aspire schools in Oakland, and some rank better than others.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Thank You.

As if every city on the coast isnt lacking in traditional middle class areas.
You're delusional. So you think Oakland has a high crime rate because all the locals don't make $200k a year? WTF are you smoking and did you buy it in Oakland?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland