U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

17,290 posts, read 11,992,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
East Oakland has tons of accessible parks. North Oakland not so much, but there's no shortage of them around where I live. I don't notice a shortage of them in West Oakland or DT Oakland either.

Here's a list I just made of the "urban parks" in East Oakland that I've been to:

• San Antonio Park
  • W.D. Wood Park
  • Brookdale Park
  • Central Park
  • Peralta Hacienda Historical Park
  • Clinton Square
  • Union Point Park
  • Maxwell Park
  • McCrea Memorial Park
  • Peralta Park
  • Bella Vista Park
Here's the nature parks I've been to in East Oakland/the hills:

• Dimond Park
  • Dimond Canyon
  • Joaquin Miller Park
  • Leona Heights Park
  • Redwood Regional Park
  • Knowland Park
  • Chabot Park
  • Shepherd Canyon Park
  • MLK Regional Shoreline

Here's urban parks in DT and West Oakland I've been to:

• Lake Merritt
  • Harrison Square
  • Madison Park
  • Kaiser Rooftop Garden
  • Ogawa Plaza
  • Lafayette Square
  • Jefferson Square
  • Snow Park
  • Lowell Park
  • Marston Campbell Park
  • DeFremery Park
  • Mandela Greenway
  • South Prescott Park
  • Poplar Park
  • Wade Johnson Park
Here's nature parks in DT/West Oakland I've been to:

• Middle Harbor Shoreline
  • Rose Garden
  • Oak Grove Park

That's why when y'all say that Oakland doesn't have very many accessible parks, I don't really understand what you mean by that. North Oakland is somewhat of an exception, but the rest of the city is definitely not "under-parked". Even in North Oakland there's Bushrod Park, Mosswood Park, Lake Temescal, Merriwood Park, etc.
There is also:
Glen Echo Park (Piedmont Ave)
Splashpad (Grand Lake)
Oak Glen Park (Adams Point)

I don't feel under-parked because these 2 of these and the Rose Garden and Mosswood are within a 10 minute or less walk for me. But I agree, Rockridge has fewer parks. Temescal is slightly better as most of these aren't too far off. I think it is really that corner of North Oakland that has the park problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanist34 View Post
For your first point, disagree Oakland has some good public schools you just have to pick the right neighborhood.
Well, I tend to agree.

As far as private schools, Oakland's score among the best in the nation:
Quote:
Wall Street Journal National Ranking of Top 65 Prep Schools, 2007-2008

California
National Rank
5 Polytechnic School, Pasadena
6 College Prepatory School, Oakland
15 Crystal Springs Uplands School, Hillsborough
21 San Francisco University High School, San Francisco
22 Menlo School, Atherton
25 Harker School, San Jose
28 Webb Schools, Claremont
35 Head-Royce School, Oakland
42 Branson School, Ross
43 Bishop's School, La Jolla
50 Castilleja School, Palo Alto
57 Francis Parker School, San Diego
As far as publics, Oakland has some of the highest scoring schools in the state..along with SF.

Oakland Unified School District API 900+: 17 schools
Elementary Schools: 10
Hillcrest Elementary 972
Montclair Elementary 972
Lincoln Elementary 961
Thornhill Elementary 954
Crocker Highlands Elementary 952
Chabot Elementary 940
Peralta Elementary 937
Joaquin Miller Elementary 920
Redwood Heights Elementary 913
North Oakland Elementary 901

Middle Schools: 3
American Indian Public Charter 990
Oakland Charter Academy 933
KIPP Bridge Center 911

High Schools: 4
American Indian Public High 964
Oakland Charter High 938

vs.

San Francisco Unified School District API 900+: 14 total schools
Elementary Schools: 13
Alice Fong Yu Elementary 955
Clarendon Elementary 945
Chinese Immersion School at DeAvila 944
John Yehall Elementary 939
Ulloa Elementary 936
Sherman Elementary 932
Lawton Alternative Elementary 919
Sunset Elementary 914
Robert Louis Stevenson Elementary 926
Lafayette Elementary 907
Claire Lilienthal Elementary 906
George Peabody School 902
West Portal Elementary 902

Middle Schools: 0

High Schools:
Lowell High 951

Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, I tend to agree.

As far as private schools, Oakland's score among the best in the nation:

As far as publics, Oakland has some of the highest scoring schools in the state..along with SF.

Oakland Unified School District API 900+: 17 schools
Elementary Schools: 10
Hillcrest Elementary 972
Montclair Elementary 972
Lincoln Elementary 961
Thornhill Elementary 954
Crocker Highlands Elementary 952
Chabot Elementary 940
Peralta Elementary 937
Joaquin Miller Elementary 920
Redwood Heights Elementary 913
North Oakland Elementary 901

Middle Schools: 3
American Indian Public Charter 990
Oakland Charter Academy 933
KIPP Bridge Center 911

High Schools: 4
American Indian Public High 964
Oakland Charter High 938

vs.

San Francisco Unified School District API 900+: 14 total schools
Elementary Schools: 13
Alice Fong Yu Elementary 955
Clarendon Elementary 945
Chinese Immersion School at DeAvila 944
John Yehall Elementary 939
Ulloa Elementary 936
Sherman Elementary 932
Lawton Alternative Elementary 919
Sunset Elementary 914
Robert Louis Stevenson Elementary 926
Lafayette Elementary 907
Claire Lilienthal Elementary 906
George Peabody School 902
West Portal Elementary 902

Middle Schools: 0

High Schools:
Lowell High 951
Don't forget some of the outstanding private schools too

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,794,062 times
Mosswood is pretty dumpy, and along with Bushrod is just kind of a functional place with a lot of basketball courts and a few picnic benches and playgrounds, they serve a purpose but again aren't really pleasant places to sit with a book.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 AM

35 posts, read 72,101 times
If price is no issue, SF still better than Oakland for reasons stated by others. The views in some parts of SF alone are reason enough to live there. (I know the Oakland hills have some nice views but they are of things that are further away whereas SF views seem like they're at arm's length.) I also think SF is still more exciting if you're the kind of trendy girl in your 20s who reviews everything on Yelp and calls herself a "foodie" simply because she likes to stuff her face.

If you're 30+ and you're not rich or if you're in your 20s and a little more mellow / down-to-Earth, I think Oakland is better. It's more chill and you might actually be able to afford housing down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Diversity and artists are not a plus in my book.
You are probably just a troll but in my experience parts of Oakland are more white than many parts of San Francisco. I'm not just talking about the hills either. I think part of it is that the population is a little older / middle-aged and generally-speaking middle-aged and older people in America are whiter as opposed to the younger generations which are dominated by non-whites these days.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM

109 posts, read 151,413 times
Joaquin miller rd. has a major bus route or two running up it.. this borders redwood park, which is connected to 100's of miles of hiking/biking trails. you can be at the fruitvale bart station in the heart of a lively, ethnic, bustling neighborhood and in 15 mins, (by public transport) be strapping on your boots going for a 15 mile hike (through towering redwoods, fern groves, vast meadows, oak stands) without seeing more than 10 other people. THIS explains my love for Oakland. The views in the Presido are great and GG Park is a top notch city park... but, both will take me more than 15 mins from a bart stop to get to, and I may very well see 1,000 other people.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM

12,804 posts, read 10,917,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
Joaquin miller rd. has a major bus route or two running up it.. this borders redwood park, which is connected to 100's of miles of hiking/biking trails. you can be at the fruitvale bart station in the heart of a lively, ethnic, bustling neighborhood and in 15 mins, (by public transport) be strapping on your boots going for a 15 mile hike (through towering redwoods, fern groves, vast meadows, oak stands) without seeing more than 10 other people. THIS explains my love for Oakland. The views in the Presido are great and GG Park is a top notch city park... but, both will take me more than 15 mins from a bart stop to get to, and I may very well see 1,000 other people.
This exact thing is exactly what I also like about Oakland, as well as Berkeley. So urban in Oakland but just over the hill, it's like you're a million miles away with no hint there's a major urban area adjacent to the wildlands.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM

946 posts, read 1,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
If you're 30+ and you're not rich or if you're in your 20s and a little more mellow / down-to-Earth, I think Oakland is better. It's more chill and you might actually be able to afford housing down the line.

what does this mean? not rich. seems like that is most of the people

the median family income in sf is around $90,000
the median single family home price is $677,000
only 35% of san francisco residents own their home
a nice home in a nice neigborhood starts at $1.2 million or more

it looks like almost everyone in sf would be better off in oakland

Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,794,062 times
A lot of people in the Bay Area get stuck in a bubble and start thinking that everyone is just like them and makes over 100k. Yeah there's a lot of people like that, more here than in most other parts of the US, but there's still a ton of people who don't make anywhere close to that amount of money. If you don't do very specialized tech stuff or you don't have a union job then you're probably going to be stuck making around $30 to 45k a year with little chance of advancement, because employers here assume that if you want a raise you'll just quit and find another job--but the economy sucks here for anything but tech so there's not really any way to go get another job. I've been one of those people for the last 8 years, and I'm done with it, I'm moving to Long Beach soon and then teaching English abroad for a while. Part of the job market here being so imbalanced is the nature of the Bay Area, part of it is that the US economy as a whole has sucked badly for almost 4 years now. When I first moved to the Bay Area it was fine and I was able to live cheaply with roommates in SF about 20 minutes from work, now it's become harder and harder to live like that because rents keep going up while incomes have been stagnant for 4 years now unless you're a precious techie.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
A lot of people in the Bay Area get stuck in a bubble and start thinking that everyone is just like them and makes over 100k. Yeah there's a lot of people like that, more here than in most other parts of the US, but there's still a ton of people who don't make anywhere close to that amount of money. If you don't do very specialized tech stuff or you don't have a union job then you're probably going to be stuck making around $30 to 45k a year with little chance of advancement, because employers here assume that if you want a raise you'll just quit and find another job--but the economy sucks here for anything but tech so there's not really any way to go get another job. I've been one of those people for the last 8 years, and I'm done with it, I'm moving to Long Beach soon and then teaching English abroad for a while. Part of the job market here being so imbalanced is the nature of the Bay Area, part of it is that the US economy as a whole has sucked badly for almost 4 years now. When I first moved to the Bay Area it was fine and I was able to live cheaply with roommates in SF about 20 minutes from work, now it's become harder and harder to live like that because rents keep going up while incomes have been stagnant for 4 years now unless you're a precious techie.
Sorry to see you go... have always enjoyed reading your perspective on topics.

I agree... there are many people that are just getting by at no where near the incomes others take for granted...

Two people earning minimum wage and modest benefits would be around the 40k combined.

My siblings and I all had roommates starting out... people in other parts of the country could get a decent place for what renting a room typically costs here.

I'm an engineer by profession that ended up in the Medical side of things... it was never planned... Started out in construction and then was asked to do some Medical Facility Consults. Hospitals need people to maintain and operate the facilities and manage leased space... so here I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland