U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBizzy47 View Post
Hi there, I'm a female, 23 years old and single. I live in New York State but have wanted to move to California for years now. Besides a cousin that lives in Fremont, I don't have any attachments and really would be willing to live anywhere.

There are definitely some things I look for in towns. I'm a small town girl and love small, mountain towns rather than big, bustling cities... on the other hand, I can't drive and that has forced me to have to stay in larger towns where I can get to everything (doesn't have to be too big, right now I live in a town of 20,000 and can get to everything I need). Also I'm out of college but not making much money yet, just over minimum wage. So wherever I move, the rents would have to be affordable.

If anybody has any thoughts or recommendations on some nice towns to check into, that would be appreciated greatly

Hey Lizzy! I live in NY now and I also have been thinking of moving to California for quiet some time now, it is becoming to expensive to live on Long Island, and I am starting to look into moving to cali, I wanted to know if you moved yet, and if so where abouts and how much!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 10,959,518 times
Quote:
Hi there, I'm a female, 23 years old and single. I live in New York State but have wanted to move to California for years now. Besides a cousin that lives in Fremont, I don't have any attachments and really would be willing to live anywhere.

There are definitely some things I look for in towns. I'm a small town girl and love small, mountain towns rather than big, bustling cities... on the other hand, I can't drive and that has forced me to have to stay in larger towns where I can get to everything (doesn't have to be too big, right now I live in a town of 20,000 and can get to everything I need). Also I'm out of college but not making much money yet, just over minimum wage. So wherever I move, the rents would have to be affordable.

If anybody has any thoughts or recommendations on some nice towns to check into, that would be appreciated greatly
Mt Shasta City is a small mountain village, about 3500 people at an altitude of 3500 ft. It lies at the base of the gorgeous and solitary Mt Shasta. It's within your price range, but you can get even cheaper rents at two nearby villages, Dunsmuir and Weed, which often have apartments for $500/month. However they are shabbier than Mt Shasta City, which has a nice downtown.

There is a county bus system that connects all these.

It's far from the ocean, but has a lake. The weather is usually nice but there is a fair amount of rain and snow during the winter.

The only problem is that the area is fairly isolated - it takes hours of travel to get to a major city like San Francisco, about 30 mi to Walmart, and you don't have many major shopping/restaurant chains. Everything you need is there, but more expensive unless you can make it out to Walmart on the Stage bus.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 PM

13,637 posts, read 16,341,764 times
Redding is cheap, has a decent bus system, has lots of low-level jobs, but has about 91,000 people.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM

6,947 posts, read 17,272,986 times
Truckee
Placerville

Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
Smile Dez

Your best bet is somewere in the central valley part of California. Cities like Fresno would be your best bet. They have very affordable rent in Fresno California. It all depends on how close you want to live near your family. I'm sure there is other cities in nothern California but most really cheap areas in California areant desired places to live. Try not to move in areas like Stockton or Modesto good luck. Fresno probably has the most affordable rent in California.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 810,921 times
cheap and california are an oxymoron. But if I were you, I would suggest Sacramento if you want to live close to the bay. Even though you're 90 minutes out, you could get an apt. for about 700 for a 1br or can rent out a room for even less. Hell, i have a 3,000 sq foot house and I'm renting out my room for 450 a piece. (not including utilities) And I learned to love Sacramento but to each of their own, I guess.

I have never set foot in redding or fresno so i cannot speak about their rent and their way of living. If you want the bay area living, then your best bet is in the far east bay like antioch and pitsburgh. Even though those places are not cheap, it is the least expensive part of the bay

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM

151 posts, read 182,754 times
Quote:

Can you be a bit more specific about what is drawing you to CA? If you are looking for low-cost, small towns then that rules out many of the places most people think about as quintessential California. Let us know what you really want to get out your move, and people can give more specific recommendations. In general, smaller low-cost towns will be more isolated, less desirable, and/or have fewer jobs than the expensive parts of the state... hence the lower COL. That being said, CA has numerous small towns that can be very appealing to some people. Here's a quick rundown of some areas with small towns in Northern CA, which is the part I'm more familiar with:

Central Valley - Large, flat, agricultural and hot but not without some good towns. Parts, like Sacramento/Davis are accessible to the Bay Area via rail, but much of it is pretty isolated and multiple hours drive to anything. More unemployment than much of CA, but lower prices too.

Northern Coastal Mountains/North Coast - Not many cities, but a few small towns, most with unemployment problems or lots of marijuana growers. Arcata and Eureka are the largest cities and at the far northern end and feel very isolated, but smaller communities exist closer to the Bay Area.

Wine Country - Just north of the Bay Area, some of the best towns in CA are here but the prices are high until you get pretty far north.

Central Coastal Mountains/Central Coast - Small low-elevation mountains, great weather, some awesome towns like San Luis Obispo but generally more expensive. Not as isolated as some parts of the states, but you can still be several hours drive from an international airport or large city.

Sierra Nevada Mountains - Amazing natural scenery, some very expensive areas like Lake Tahoe, but also home to some more modest communities. Lots of snow in the winter at higher elevations. Many parts are pretty far from major metropolitan areas.

Cascades - Also great natural scenery with fewer people and lower costs than the Sierra Nevadas but much more isolated and mostly tiny communities. Redding and Chico (both in the valley) are the only nearby "cities" and they have less than 100,000 people.

Also, looking into neighboring Oregon is not a bad suggestion, Ashland is definitely very cosmopolitan for its size, but also is a long drive from much of CA.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 PM

5,129 posts, read 3,775,160 times
>I'm a small town girl and love small, mountain towns

Plumas County, Butte County, the rest of the Sierra. Also the far north coast (Mendocino and Humboldt Counties). The first set of areas is dry, the second humid. Both areas are absolutely gorgeous and far away from anything resembling a city.

These are very poor areas where $20,000 will go a long way. I have friends in Butte County who are getting ahead and saving for retirement on $28,000 and they're a couple (although I do think they make a few bucks on the side growing weed).

You will need to drive.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
Look on Craigslist.org. California without a car is pretty difficult. Perhaps you could work with an agency to find a company to relocate you?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 10,959,518 times
The OP has long since moved on to that Great Database in the Cloud, but in case anyone is interested I don't recommend moving to the Central Valley (which is where most of the cheap rentals are) unless you can handle rather extreme heat in the summer ..... which in itself adds the cost of air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland