U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 27,429 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Fremont, CA in a few months and preparing to collect information/plan the move.

If someone is living there/has lived there/knows someone who lived there we would appreciate your inputs.

As of now we are looking at the schools there and seems like Fremont mission san jose high school/middle school.

1. Both of our kids are in G/T programs from the place we are moving
2. We would like academically challenging programs at elementary/middle/high
3. Our kids are 5,7 respectively

What we are looking for
1. Good elementary school with plan to move to Mission san jose high school ultimately
2. We plan to move to a Apartment for first few years and then probably buy a house. Anybody knows of good apartments with W/D in unit/dishwasher as basic needs/fitness center/ with gated option if possible
3. Best highways to SF - commute options

What we are struggling with
1. With lots of google, reviews, rent.com searches, we are not able to find a good apartment in 94539 or closer zips the school district is not part of mission.
2. Is buying a house the only option and seems like most of the house ranges are 600k+> 1 milll & beyond

If anyone can help us with these with their feedback it will really help.

Thanks a lot !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM

291 posts, read 775,045 times
Have you been to Fremont? Why do you want to live in Fremont and commute to SF? There are many other options in the bay area besides Fremont that are much closer to SF.
To find more info about schools check here:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

But remember that test scores are not everything and a lot of schools teach to the test so they can keep that magical high score number...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Have you been to Fremont? Why do you want to live in Fremont and commute to SF? There are many other options in the bay area besides Fremont that are much closer to SF.
To find more info about schools check here:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

But remember that test scores are not everything and a lot of schools teach to the test so they can keep that magical high score number...
Thanks for the reply.
We have friends in San Ramon. Been there atleast 2-3 times past few years and love the area overall. We were just checking the School performance over newsweek
Mission San Jose High School | Best High Schools | U.S. News

This and the fact it is #10 in science and math is what caught our attention.

We are open to other school districts Or schools or city as well.
If you / others have other opinions please let us know.

We also noticed those kids have constantly entered Science bowl national competition and even won them. If they are pure academics / test scores based , we were thinking how they could have won these competitions and yes we did see those school performances in youtube.

If you know of other schools, please let us know- we were looking into more of science math and academic schools primarily

Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,020,491 times
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I can tell you that unfortunately many people can't afford the steep price of admission to attend Mission San Jose schools. Home prices are very steep in the area, mainly due to the top rated schools. There aren't a whole lot of apartment choices in the area and most of the area is single family homes. Even rentals are grossly overpriced and most of the apartments are older and not very nice.

My wife grew up in Mission SJ and is a Mission SJ High alumni. Keep in mind that the school is very academically focused and many parents of the students are neurotic academic-obsessed "tiger mom" types. There isn't much focus on living a balanced life in my honest opinion. Academics are pretty much the entire focus. If you're ok with that, then great. Personally, I'd like my kids to have a more balanced perspective on the world. My wife turned out pretty normal however, but the school also had more focus on other things like sports and other non-academic activities when she was in attendance. It's always been a great school, but now is a bit too academically "hardcore" and high-pressure in my opinion.

Also consider that the area is not diverse at all. It is predominantly Chinese and Indian and they tend to be somewhat aloof and don't associate with people outside of their own culture unless they have to. My wife has told me many times about how different the area was when she grew up there. All the neighbors interacted and knew each other and they would even have block parties on her street. This has pretty much diminished as many foreign residents have moved into the neighborhood.

If you're ok with the above mentioned issues, then Mission SJ is actually a very nice place to live. From an asthetic standpoint, it's a beautiful area. The backdrop of Mission Peak is awe-inspiring and the overall geographic location of the area feels a lot different than the rest of Fremont. It's a very scenic area for sure. There are some pretty unbelievable mansions in the hills too with awesome views from San Jose all the way to San Francisco.

Keep in mind that no matter where you look, based on what you're looking for as far as schools go, it's going to be very expensive. The most expensive areas throughout the entire region will be where the schools are the highest performing.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM

28,757 posts, read 29,018,258 times
Your kids are only 5 and 7? I'm kind of in awe that you would even be putting this kind of stuff on them already. G/T? Everyone is..but it that's true they will do well anywhere with decent schools so don't worry about scores, who knows what they will be like when your kids are college bound anyway. OR what you kids will be doing (no offence but you won't know until you get there).
I guess if you are an asian tiger mom you might fit in but I wouldn't live in Fremont just for MSJ High.
On the plus side you can BART to SF if the job is near a station.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,464,653 times
What about Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga/Walnut Creek?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM

291 posts, read 775,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
What about Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga/Walnut Creek?
Albany is another good choice.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Your kids are only 5 and 7? I'm kind of in awe that you would even be putting this kind of stuff on them already. G/T? Everyone is..but it that's true they will do well anywhere with decent schools so don't worry about scores, who knows what they will be like when your kids are college bound anyway. OR what you kids will be doing (no offence but you won't know until you get there).
I guess if you are an asian tiger mom you might fit in but I wouldn't live in Fremont just for MSJ High.
On the plus side you can BART to SF if the job is near a station.
It is true - we wont know what the kids want to be. But we want to give them a heads start into science math and engineering as much as we can + music + school group activities along with parents which they are involved with now - the more they know may be the better they can choose from multiple choices...obviously we are only to guide until they know what they want to choose..no offense taken whatsover...just taking it as a good feedback.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I can tell you that unfortunately many people can't afford the steep price of admission to attend Mission San Jose schools. Home prices are very steep in the area, mainly due to the top rated schools. There aren't a whole lot of apartment choices in the area and most of the area is single family homes. Even rentals are grossly overpriced and most of the apartments are older and not very nice.

My wife grew up in Mission SJ and is a Mission SJ High alumni. Keep in mind that the school is very academically focused and many parents of the students are neurotic academic-obsessed "tiger mom" types. There isn't much focus on living a balanced life in my honest opinion. Academics are pretty much the entire focus. If you're ok with that, then great. Personally, I'd like my kids to have a more balanced perspective on the world. My wife turned out pretty normal however, but the school also had more focus on other things like sports and other non-academic activities when she was in attendance. It's always been a great school, but now is a bit too academically "hardcore" and high-pressure in my opinion.

Also consider that the area is not diverse at all. It is predominantly Chinese and Indian and they tend to be somewhat aloof and don't associate with people outside of their own culture unless they have to. My wife has told me many times about how different the area was when she grew up there. All the neighbors interacted and knew each other and they would even have block parties on her street. This has pretty much diminished as many foreign residents have moved into the neighborhood.

If you're ok with the above mentioned issues, then Mission SJ is actually a very nice place to live. From an asthetic standpoint, it's a beautiful area. The backdrop of Mission Peak is awe-inspiring and the overall geographic location of the area feels a lot different than the rest of Fremont. It's a very scenic area for sure. There are some pretty unbelievable mansions in the hills too with awesome views from San Jose all the way to San Francisco.

Keep in mind that no matter where you look, based on what you're looking for as far as schools go, it's going to be very expensive. The most expensive areas throughout the entire region will be where the schools are the highest performing.
We are trying to still find a good apartment block in that area to even move in. Looks like there is nothing much in Mission district except if you want to buy > 600k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland