U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to SF due to my husband's job transfer... He will be working in downtown SF. We are looking to RENT, not buy as we may only be here for a couple years. Our max budget is $2,500. We need a 4 bedroom 2 bath home. I have researched every single city I can imagine... It seems like the only places we can afford with the space we need for us and our 2 young children is in Pittsburg/Antioch, Mountain House, or Brentwood/Oakley. I have read that is a 2 hour commute to and from work for my husband and we really dont want that long of a drive. I need a good school system with diversity. I do not want to be in Berkeley or Oakland. Is the upscale parts of Vallejo safe and nice? What about Alameda? Any suggestions would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,835,217 times
Safe but diverse neighborhood/good school/easy commute/huge house/ sub $2500? Sorry, what you're looking for doesn't exist.

You're going to have to compromise on at least 2 of those, maybe 3.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,627,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MMom View Post
My family and I are moving to SF due to my husband's job transfer... He will be working in downtown SF. We are looking to RENT, not buy as we may only be here for a couple years. Our max budget is $2,500. We need a 4 bedroom 2 bath home. I have researched every single city I can imagine... It seems like the only places we can afford with the space we need for us and our 2 young children is in Pittsburg/Antioch, Mountain House, or Brentwood/Oakley. I have read that is a 2 hour commute to and from work for my husband and we really dont want that long of a drive. I need a good school system with diversity. I do not want to be in Berkeley or Oakland. Is the upscale parts of Vallejo safe and nice? What about Alameda? Any suggestions would be great!!!
If you drop the need for 4 bedrooms, then you'll probably find a lot more options that are closer.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM

17,321 posts, read 12,243,556 times
Alameda is good but your budget is pretty low. Maybe Castro Valley? But the schools aren't all that diverse there. Sorry, but I agree with the other posters. You need to drop something from your list.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM

180 posts, read 47,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MMom View Post
The number of bedrooms will be difficult to accommodate with that budget. Try looking around Dublin and Pleasanton. Your husband could ride the BART to Downtown San Francisco. Good luck on your search!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,263,834 times
Alameda is nice and safe, but I doubt you'll find something within your budget.

I'm not aware there are "upscale part of Vallejo." I know there are less sketchy part of Vallejo but maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer that one.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Does Castro Valley have a good school system?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM

Dublin/Pleasanton is my ideal location but I will probably have to drop down to 3 bedrooms in order to live in that area... Does anyone know much about the commute from Antioch to SF? I have heard it is 2 to 3 hours both ways but I've also heard its only 1 hour both ways...

Last edited by M&MMom; 02-07-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM

8,962 posts, read 5,978,577 times
It's about an hour one way with no traffic so, yeah, 3 hours roundtrip is probably right. Worst, if there's an accident on the bridge.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks, I think I may try and get in at the Avalon Dublin Station apartment complex in Dublin. It is so close to the Bart and has the extra amenities... Still above my budget but it might be worth it... Any thoughts on this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland