U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,753,536 times

Advertisements

Use these, they don't show BART but you can open a BART map in a separate window.

School Rankings for the San Francisco East Bay Area, California

California School Performance Maps

Also if it turns out you can't afford Albany, Alameda is a bit cheaper, still kind of dense and funky (in my opinion it has the coolest architecture overall of any Bay Area city I've seen) and even has a beach, and the schools are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM

55 posts, read 76,550 times
LOVE those maps!!!

How hard is it to get form Alameda to BART? What are those "tubes" (tunnels???)? Can you bike from Alameda to Oakland? (rather to the BART station?)

Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,753,536 times
I know you can bike over the bridge at the south end of Alameda Island, and then you'd be really close to Fruitvale BART, though I think there's a sign saying you have to walk your bike.

Apparently you can't bike or walk a bike through the Webster tube. You can bike through the Posey Tube but it's supposed to really suck and be noisy. There's a new shuttle bus for bikes you can take that drops you off at Lake Merritt BART but it only runs every 30 minutes which is pretty inconvenient:

BikeAlameda Launches Estuary Shuttle

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 9,114 times
It looks like you're thinking more about Alameda now but as someone who's lived in both Oakland and Albany, I thought I should put in my two cents.

Basically, Albany is probably worse, and Oakland is probably better than what you've heard. I grew up in Albany, I attended the public schools K-12, and I've always felt like they were a bit overhyped. What they are is safe (compared to Richmond/El Cerrito, Oakland, and Berkeley). But compared to Piedmont, LaMorinda, and the other high end East Bay districts, I don't think Albany comes close, particularly in things like sports, AP programs, and arts/music.

With Albany you get some of the feel of a small town, but with the accessibility to the big city that you don't get in many places farther north or east. The schools and the streets are safe, but you're well-connected to public transit and not far from Berkeley and Oakland, or even SF. This sounds like what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it comes at a pretty hefty price.

If you're interested in something more "real" and bustling, why not North Oakland? Somewhere in the vicinity of MacArthur BART (preferably east of the freeway) could be you're looking for. I lived for a time on Webster near 41st and it was a 5-minute walk from BART, was cheaper than anything in Albany and almost anything in Berkeley, not far from downtown Oakland, and close to the 51st/Telegraph commercial corridor. And of course Emeryville isn't far either.

I think the Oakland public schools would be fine for elementary, which would then give you a few years to decide what to do next--either go private, try to get on the waiting list for Berkeley or Piedmont (I know Albany lets in a certain number of out of district kids each year, and I imagine other districts are the same), or move somewhere else. Or simply try to get your kids into one of the better Oakland schools.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 AM

14,049 posts, read 25,913,920 times
I've lost several good neighbors over the years due to schools...

They loved the area and the neighborhood... not the public schools.

In the end... they all said it would come down to paying for private school or moving to a better school district.

Head/Royce is expensive... know several with children attending and they live in Orinda and take their kids to Head/Royce in Oakland...

Bishop O'Dowd draws students from far away... a few come from San Francisco, Albany and even Pleasanton... O'Dowd is located off 98th Ave in East Oakland...

A co-worker even went so far as to rent her nice Oakland Hills home and move to a small rental in Piedmont for 4 years just so her only child could attend High School in Piedmont...

Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM

29 posts, read 23,342 times
In Oakland, you'll need to wear a bullet-proof helmet as the gang shootings are out of control and the police dept. has just been dissolved.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM

14,049 posts, read 25,913,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira9 View Post
In Oakland, you'll need to wear a bullet-proof helmet as the gang shootings are out of control and the police dept. has just been dissolved.
Fourth Generation Oakland resident and so far I have not needed one...

You do realize that Oakland has as by some accounts close to 450,000 residents and homes in all price ranges... from sub 100k to millions?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,880 times
Avoid Oakland. I would avoid the whole area over there actually, especially raising children. Not safe. I disagree with the previous post that MOST people think an hour commute is ok. NOT. An hour commute is not only a drain on your wallet for gas and a major pollution generator but also alot of unnecessary time spent away from the family while living in your car. I also think it was beyond rude to suggest that someone just simply UP their budget for a home; ummm.. a budget is a budget for a reason, you can't just dream up more money because you don't like it or live in a place that has an overinflated image of itself and charges way too much money.
Did you say where in the east bay your husband would be working, that would help in deciding where to live and how to get rid of that extra car, which I applaud you for.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM

946 posts, read 1,249,660 times
the crocker highland neighborhood area has largest orthodox community in the east bay
from the beth jacob web site :
What attracted you to Beth Jacob Congregation?
Sheldon & Diane: Our attraction to Beth Jacob started with our connection
to Oakland Hebrew Day School and our move to the Crocker
Highlands area. After discovering the school, we began to look for a[\place to live in Oakland. David Gluck helped us find a place on the outskirt]of the Longridge “shtetl,” and the Dardiks generously allowed usto stay at their place while our stuff was being moved. We have lived inmany different places, always trying to find the optimal community settingThe Beth Jacob community is unique. It feels like an extended family, especially on Shabbat. We love the experienceof a Modern Orthodox neighborhood with doors open, kids running from house to house, and shared meals. When
Diane was recovering from surgery, the community meals were a real blessing. We are honored to be participating in
Rabbi Dardik’s larger vision for this evolving community

Oakland's Crocker Highlands development, meanwhile, is located within walking distance of a kosher bakery, butcher and restaurant, and the city's only Orthodox shul, Beth Jacob Congregation."As the East Bay goes, it is probably the most Jewishly identified neighborhood there is," said Ben Marcus, a Beth Jacob member, who moved into the neighborhood three months ago. He estimates that at least five Jewish families, including his own, reside within a 15-house vicinity of one another on Longridge Road

after living in an area with many orthodox I was surprised the OP wrote about driving to synagogue
the elementrary school is very good but most go private after that which is expensive

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM

946 posts, read 1,249,660 times
crappy public schools are a part of urban living. if you are concerned about schools and want to live in san francisco or oakland you have to accept the possibility of private schools or leaving if your child does not get into a magnet program.

oaklands neighborhood elementry school system results in great elemtary schools in the wealthy or upper middle class areas but after that......

Percentage of students K-12 enrolled in private schools:

Forest Hill:
61.2%
Saint Francis Wood:
68.9%
Presidio Heights:
94.0%
Miraloma Park:
60.8%

Montclair:
47.0%

Upper Rockridge:
55.2%
Crocker Highland:
63.6%
:Rockridge:
54.5%

there are lot of people who like oakland and sf enough to pay $15,000 to $30,000 for
private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland