Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM

57 posts, read 134,055 times

Advertisements

Hi there - In trying to ascertain the areas in which I could potentially afford and want to live in, in the Bay Area, I have come to the decision that I'm ideally looking at something along the 680 between Dublin and Concord.

Now, in looking at Concord, I read a fair bit to suggest that there are some not so nice parts of Concord - ie dangerous (when I say dangerous I mean that I wouldn't like my wife to nip to the shops of an evening on foot).

Can anyone pinpoint for me, someone who doesn't know the area and lives about 5,000 miles away, where I should/shouldn't consider renting? Are the definite boundaries to draw on a (google) map?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM

60 posts, read 58,672 times
There is nowhere in Concord that makes me nervous. If you're scared of Mexicans then the Monument area may make you nervous other than that for a city of its' size concord reminds me of a mini San Jose , very low crime for a city of 120K + people.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Informers View Post
There is nowhere in Concord that makes me nervous. If you're scared of Mexicans then the Monument area may make you nervous other than that for a city of its' size concord reminds me of a mini San Jose , very low crime for a city of 120K + people.
Thanks informers. I'm not scared of any ethnic group, just concerned by crime, and in particular violent crime.

Is monument bad for crime, or just somewhere that's predominantly mexican and therefore somewhere I may be in a minority?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,949,054 times
Very generally speaking---since there isn't one large and clear area of undesirable, avoid north Concord (around hwy 242), stay south of Willow Pass Rd. Also, avoid anything off of Monument Blvd.

So basically, look for anything East or South East Concord. Another suggestion is to look at house prices in Concord on a website like Ziprealty and use the map feature. Any neighborhood where the majority of houses are going for 200k or less are generally in not so nice areas. It kind of gives you visual of areas to avoid.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Thats very helpful, thanks Clongirl. On that basis, would I be right in thinking that anywhere even within 5 minutes(ish) East of the Concord BART station would be OK? But that anything to the West would be undesirable?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,159,892 times
I'm in North Concord. For the most part Holbrook Heights and Sun Terrace (at the top of the hill) are fine. Along Olivera and South of it and West of Port Chicago isn't that nice as well as the areas West of 242. Overall the area is working/middle class but you wouldn't want to rent in any of the apartments in the area. They're all methy.

The area immediately East of Concord BART isn't that great. It gets better toward Cowell.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM

10,280 posts, read 8,435,178 times
I have been shopping for a condo in Concord. I myself have been avoiding the Monument Blvd area. It is largely hispanic there , but it just seems it little bit lower class. But as far as safety there I feel fine except for the Pine street and detroit avenue areas. Otherwise I think it's ok. I have looked at the Northwood Commons area by 242 and it's ok. I will say that the east side towards Clayton seems nicer though.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejones2 View Post
Thats very helpful, thanks Clongirl. On that basis, would I be right in thinking that anywhere even within 5 minutes(ish) East of the Concord BART station would be OK? But that anything to the West would be undesirable?
Unfortunately I can't give you super specifics on pockets of undesirable neighborhoods since I don't actually live in Concord. Concord is mostly working class/middle class and the types of crime you might hear of are less random and more drug/gang related.

Most areas can be perfectly fine but you may see a few dumpy, unkempt homes which may or may not mean anything. Overall, the area you'd want to really avoid is around Monument--I frequent the area in the day and it's fine, but I wouldn't want to live there because there seems to be some gang activity and intimidating folks hanging around the liquor stores when it gets dark. I go for my weekly burritos and Costco and have never run into problems, but I wouldn't walk around at night by myself.

One suggestion that might be a bit wacky but sometimes I'll do the googlemaps "street view" feature and check out specific streets/neighborhoods this way to get a general feel.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Great help guys, thanks! It's tricky this house hunting malarchy isn't it!! I'm wanting to be near the BART (walking distance) but not wanting to walk through sketchy places... which isn't always easy!

I really appreciate the advice here though, thanks. I spent a good couple of hours street-viewing and it was useful. It's definitely a bit nicer to the East but also far less walkable to the BART (ie impossible!!).

Hey ho - these things were meant to try us!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 PM

There's also a bus system that runs through the region (I can't attest to it's efficiency, however) that will take you to all the local BART stations if you want to live a little bit farther than walking distance..

The County Connection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland