U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 AM

29 posts, read 23,829 times

Advertisements

Video of thugs smashing the doors of Oakland City Hall and trashing the place:

Video: Occupiers break into City Hall, burn flag
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

6,919 posts, read 6,886,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira9 View Post
Really? You mean you cannot find data by using Google? Wrong.

To OP: Google Oakland News and read up about the elderly man that was murdered in the Oakland Hills (Montclair) 3 days ago and about the school shootings. Google Occupy Oakland. In fact, google Oakland news for the last 12 months. Then read the crime stats for Oakland. Go to Zillow and see how house prices are dropping like crazy. Read the Oakland Tribune and read about the horrible budget problems. Read about Jean Quan, Yosef Bey, Your Black Muslim Bakery, Chauncey Bailey, etc.

Oakland is a beautiful city. But that is not what makes a city. The people make the city. Think about it.

Translation: Crime in Oakland is especially bad because its in Oakland where all the scary black and hispanic people live. Never mind that similar crimes happen across the Bay Bridge all the time or in any major American city for that matter, it's just worse when it happens in Oakland.

I love when trolls use that line of reasoning... they get on Oakland's case for crime but give San Francisco a pass.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Translation: Crime in Oakland is especially bad because its in Oakland where all the scary black and hispanic people live. Never mind that similar crimes happen across the Bay Bridge all the time or in any major American city for that matter, it's just worse when it happens in Oakland.

I love when trolls use that line of reasoning... they get on Oakland's case for crime but give San Francisco a pass.
It would save us a whole lot of time if people just admitted from the get go that they are racist.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM

17,321 posts, read 12,243,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

There is no crime in the rest of the urban US. Oakland has a monopoly on it. I have never heard about incidents were stupid people mess up public property. Or where someone got robbed or shot in any other place.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

415 posts, read 349,070 times
Ira9 - why don't you start your own thread documenting your hatred against Oakland and end this thread jacking?
OP's question about moving to the East Bay that includes many other cities and burbs.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
bhs

22 posts, read 16,193 times
Good suggestion... I've seen posts from him trashing SSF, Oakland, Redwood City, and part of San Rafael.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,571,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Considering much of Oakland is safer than SF, it's a racist perception of crime rates issue.
I was referring to the Hayward/San Leandro/Oakland area. I live and work in many of these places (I travel a bit for work locally) and I know crime is in certain cities more than others. Now as for your speculation regarding Oakland Vs. SF I would say that racism is definitely a possibility.

I just heard that Colma had metal stolen from Cemetery's and the police captain said on TV that he notified peninsula and SF scrap metal places "and of course the east bay", I was like WOW- because the ENTIRE east bay is considered crime ridden? There are white people in the east bay, even in Oakland and Hayward. There are white people who commit crimes, even in Danville.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,571,751 times
Quote:

People from SF also come to Oakland to start trouble thinking it will be tolerated. Let's not confuse the issue of CRIME vs RACE.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

17,321 posts, read 12,243,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

I just heard that Colma had metal stolen from Cemetery's and the police captain said on TV that he notified peninsula and SF scrap metal places "and of course the east bay", I was like WOW- because the ENTIRE east bay is considered crime ridden? There are white people in the east bay, even in Oakland and Hayward. There are white people who commit crimes, even in Danville.
People from the Peninsula seem to think the East Bay is a giant cesspool of crime and "ghetto ethnic people." It is more than a little ridiculous.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 9,329 times
Quote:

Ira9 have you ever spent any time in Oakland?

In my experience, people who are obsessed with how bad Oakland is are either a) from somewhere on the Penninsula, North Bay, or over the hill East Bay, who have grown up being told to never go to Oakland because it's too crime-ridden, or b) they're ignorant racists who only know about Oakland from the TV news.

Oakland has some very upscale, safe neighborhoods, and even the "normal" parts aren't much different from other major urban areas in the US. The statistics for Oakland look bad because the bad parts are some of the worst in the country. But these neighborhoods don't really affect most of the city.

Springfield, IL, New Haven, CN, Cleveland, Anchorage, Philadelphia--these places all are routinely listed as among the most crime-ridden cities in America. And yet, would you really believe that these cities are downright unlivable, because of the crime? No, any halfway intelligent person knows that there must be nice, as well as not so nice, parts of all these cities, Oakland included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland