Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL23 View Post
Personally, I'd advise against moving to Oakland. I hate the city I live in and I can not wait until I leave this hell hole. If you decide to move to Oakland anyways, I'd recommend you stay away from East & West Oakland.
It sounds like you picked the wrong neighborhood for your comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM

14 posts, read 16,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It sounds like you picked the wrong neighborhood for your comfort zone.
Can't say that I picked the neighborhood. I'm 19 years old and I was born and raised in Oakland. Unfortunately I come from a struggling family and things have been tough, but things are extremely tough being a youth growing up in such a gang & violence ridden city. People who say that Oakland isn't that bad are lucky they haven't had to experience what I've gone through, or they're just truly not aware of what Oakland really is. I mean statistics speak for themselves. Oakland is one the most dangerous cities in the country. Its hell.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Can't say that I picked the neighborhood. I'm 19 years old and I was born and raised in Oakland. Unfortunately I come from a struggling family and things have been tough, but things are extremely tough being a youth growing up in such a gang & violence ridden city. People who say that Oakland isn't that bad are lucky they haven't had to experience what I've gone through, or they're just truly not aware of what Oakland really is. I mean statistics speak for themselves. Oakland is one the most dangerous cities in the country. Its hell.

Where in Oakland are you from?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM

14 posts, read 16,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Where in Oakland are you from?
Off of Seminary and Bancroft in East Oakland.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Off of Seminary and Bancroft in East Oakland.

You're right by that breakfast joint on the corner I've been to a couple times.

Seminary is arguably the worst hood in Oakland, I know where you're coming from on that. Sem City is not all of Oakland though or all of East Oakland for that matter. I also live in East Oakland albeit a middle class section of it and I've been just about everywhere in the East... The bad is bad and the good is good, that's all there really is to be said. The bad in Oakland is no bull**** though, which is exactly what you described. That can't be understated.

However, the good also can't be understated, and there's a lot of good in Oakland. I hope that one day you're able to experience it because it would be a shame to grow up in a city as dynamic as Oakland and only experience Seminary.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 100,888 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd advise against moving to Oakland. I hate the city I live in and I can not wait until I leave this hell hole. If you decide to move to Oakland anyways, I'd recommend you stay away from East & West Oakland.
I read your other posts and it sounds like you had a tough upbringing in a rough section of Oakland. I understand as my husband's family moved to the now very upscale Park Slope, Brooklyn in 1975 when their block was gang-ridden and they were harassed or threatened on a regular basis. They stuck it out though and BOY did they make the right decision! I have read that West and East Oakland are still developing and will heed this advice. We already have some sections that we've identified as safe and more gentrified. Yes, it seems at this point we will likely be moving to Oakland and are very excited about it. Hopefully Oakland will gain even more momentum and be a desirable place for people in Northern California to live. From what others have written it's well on its way

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 PM

17 posts, read 48,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag122 View Post
I read your other posts and it sounds like you had a tough upbringing in a rough section of Oakland. I understand as my husband's family moved to the now very upscale Park Slope, Brooklyn in 1975 when their block was gang-ridden and they were harassed or threatened on a regular basis. They stuck it out though and BOY did they make the right decision! I have read that West and East Oakland are still developing and will heed this advice. We already have some sections that we've identified as safe and more gentrified. Yes, it seems at this point we will likely be moving to Oakland and are very excited about it. Hopefully Oakland will gain even more momentum and be a desirable place for people in Northern California to live. From what others have written it's well on its way
It is this exact type of mindset that has me disturbed about particular transplants coming to Oakland. No, this is not a backwards desolate city that is 'still developing' - East and West Oakland have been 'developed' for decades (as has the rest of the city). East Oakland in particular is very large and encompasses a large part of Oakland. All of it isn't some dangerous ghetto just because there are poor blacks and Mexicans living there, and some crime. Just because middle class folks are finally taking notice to Oakland (probably due to rising prices elsewhere) and moving in doesn't mean majority of this city (save for some choice neighborhoods you keep hearing about) is suddenly in development.

As for your other comment about Oakland becoming a desirable place to live now - ugh . It has been! At least for people who aren't easily scared away from an entire city just because of rumors. I'm confused as to why you (an outsider) would think you know enough about Oakland to think that it's just now becoming a desirable place to live.

I wish I weren't, but I am offended by your post, and disappointed that people with this way of thinking about our city are suddenly finding your way into Oakland.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
It is this exact type of mindset that has me disturbed about particular transplants coming to Oakland. No, this is not a backwards desolate city that is 'still developing' - East and West Oakland have been 'developed' for decades (as has the rest of the city). East Oakland in particular is very large and encompasses a large part of Oakland. All of it isn't some dangerous ghetto just because there are poor blacks and Mexicans living there, and some crime. Just because middle class folks are finally taking notice to Oakland (probably due to rising prices elsewhere) and moving in doesn't mean majority of this city (save for some choice neighborhoods you keep hearing about) is suddenly in development.

As for your other comment about Oakland becoming a desirable place to live now - ugh . It has been! At least for people who aren't easily scared away from an entire city just because of rumors. I'm confused as to why you (an outsider) would think you know enough about Oakland to think that it's just now becoming a desirable place to live.

I wish I weren't, but I am offended by your post, and disappointed that people with this way of thinking about our city are suddenly finding your way into Oakland.
Hey, I am just taking it all in. If you read my other posts and responses from others you would have a better idea of the flow of this thread.

My husband and I have lived/worked in NYC (not just the nice parts) our entire lives (my parents were born and raised in Queens and his parents moved to Brooklyn in the 70's from the Midwest when their now very nice neighborhood was not good). We have family who have lived in West Oakland for over 30 years too, so we get it. If you want to get into transplants from around the country to NYC we can. At the outset many don't consider Brooklyn or the Bronx or any of the outer boroughs as places to live. You know why? Because there are several sections that are not livable, and many sections that are still developing - this is reality - and I can't take offense to those new to the city, or thinking about relocating, who have reservations about moving to certain neighborhoods. We don't listen to rumors, by the way, but take into consideration places that will be a good fit based on research and constructive, non-defensive feedback from others. Thanks again to all of you who have been so helpful!

It's unfortunate if you can't understand this. I am equally bothered by your presumptuous post - you shouldn't make assumptions about people before knowing their whole story. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about Oakland being a 'backwards desolate city' and never implied being 'scared of an entire city.' This post is out of context and just not accurate.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag122 View Post
Hey, I am just taking it all in. If you read my other posts and responses from others you would have a better idea of the flow of this thread.

My husband and I have lived/worked in NYC (not just the nice parts) our entire lives (my parents were born and raised in Queens and his parents moved to Brooklyn in the 70's from the Midwest when their now very nice neighborhood was not good). We have family who have lived in West Oakland for over 30 years too, so we get it. If you want to get into transplants from around the country to NYC we can. At the outset many don't consider Brooklyn or the Bronx or any of the outer boroughs as places to live. You know why? Because there are several sections that are not livable, and many sections that are still developing - this is reality - and I can't take offense to those new to the city, or thinking about relocating, who have reservations about moving to certain neighborhoods. We don't listen to rumors, by the way, but take into consideration places that will be a good fit based on research and constructive, non-defensive feedback from others. Thanks again to all of you who have been so helpful!

It's unfortunate if you can't understand this. I am equally bothered by your presumptuous post - you shouldn't make assumptions about people before knowing their whole story. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about Oakland being a 'backwards desolate city' and never implied being 'scared of an entire city.' This post is out of context and just not accurate.
as i said both oakland and brooklyn have great neighborhoods that many people are not aware of.

park slope and brooklyn hts are highly desirable areas and when i tell my friends in california i would love a limestone townhouse in park slope they don't understand.
http://www.delsonsherman.com/delson_...rkslope_ls.php

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
as i said both oakland and brooklyn have great neighborhoods that many people are not aware of.

park slope and brooklyn hts are highly desirable areas and when i tell my friends in california i would love a limestone townhouse in park slope they don't understand.
Delson or Sherman Architects pc - Park Slope Limestone
Indeed. These places you mention are just the tip of the iceberg, as both cities have lots to offer and neighborhoods that "outsiders" are not aware of. The adventure is in the discovery of these great places, developed or not - this goes for both Brooklyn and Oakland. I don't let others' negativity get me down. I'm am really excited about the impending move to CA.

BTW, nice Limestone - If you have a couple million to spend this is what you will get in Park Slope. I know the same goes for the Bay Area. I get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland