Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
aka Google, Apple, Adobe, Intel, AMD, Symantec, HP, NVidia, Cisco, Applied Materials, Yahoo, Sandisk, NetApp, McAffee, KLA Tencor, Oracle, Salesforce.com, Juniper, Marvell, Intuit, Agilent, Affymetrix, Autodesk, Aruba, Brocade, Amazon, EA, Netflix, Taleo, Xilinx, Synopsis, VMware, Riverbed, eBay...and that's hardly scratching the surface.

Would this city and region really be better off if none of that had ever happened around here?
Was SF that much of a dumpy 3rd rate city in the 50's through 70's before tech ever happened? If there wasn't any tech, rents would probably be a lot lower...SF might be more like Portland OR, or like it was 40 years ago.

Like I said you can't do anything about the tech bubble but I'm not going to celebrate it when all it ever did was drive up my rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Was SF that much of a dumpy 3rd rate city in the 50's through 70's before tech ever happened? If there wasn't any tech, rents would probably be a lot lower...SF might be more like Portland OR, or like it was 40 years ago.

Like I said you can't do anything about the tech bubble but I'm not going to celebrate it when all it ever did was drive up my rent.
San Francisco was already expensive and affluent prior to Silicon Valley taking off. It was and is the Financial Services and Banking center of the entire West.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco was already expensive and affluent prior to Silicon Valley taking off. It was and is the Financial Services and Banking center of the entire West.
Cost of living was way cheaper before both the tech boom of the 1980's and the tech boom of the 90's. When I was A freshman at cal back in '01 you could still find a studio for 750-850 in SF and they were not even in the ghetto or anything.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Any time you talk to anyone who's lived in SF since before the late 80's talks about how cheap it was back in the day.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
Default tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Cost of living was way cheaper before both the tech boom of the 1980's and the tech boom of the 90's. When I was A freshman at cal back in '01 you could still find a studio for 750-850 in SF and they were not even in the ghetto or anything.
Yeah, no question the tech boom changed the city dramatically. I moved to SF after graduating college in 1994. I got a studio at Haight and Laguna for $565/mo. It was a nice studio but the neighborhood was pretty bad back then, the corner of Haight and Octavia was always occupied by prostitutes. I generally felt safe, but found out when i moved that there had been a stabbing in front of my building. The projects at Haight and Fillmore were still there and this was also before the central freeway was downsized, so I hopped on 101S at Oak and Octavia. I used to walk to the Mission from my place and back then you couldn't get a cab in the mission, because most cabs wouldn't go there because of crime. And back then Hayes valley wasn't really a desirable neighborhood.

However salaries were also lower. My first salaried job was at $27K/year (I'm in accounting), and that felt like a decent salary back then. My boyfriend at the time made $45k (he was an engineer) and he once mentioned he didn't know what to do with that much money!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 PM

218 posts, read 483,593 times
The comments in this thread are just unbelievable. People complaining about jobs being added to their city just blows my mind. Even if ALL of these jobs are taken by H-1B workers (which won't happen, 90% will go to Americans), it still benefits the economy overall.

Just take my case, I work in Tech (not an Engineer, American), and I've hundreds of $ on eating out, buying new clothes, furniture etc for my apartment having lived here just two weeks. Once I start partying and dating, I'll spend thousands of $ on eating out, drinking etc. Stuff like that has a multiplier effect.

What is it exactly that you loser, weak-minded liberals want? Do you want the city to be like Detroit with 50% unemployment so you can sit at home, smoke weed all day and blame the white man for your problems???

(And seriously, stop complaining about the rent, I looked at a couple of places for only about $1,200-$1,400 in nice buildings right by the Caltrain, there are bargains to be had everywhere)

Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Yeah, no question the tech boom changed the city dramatically. I moved to SF after graduating college in 1994. I got a studio at Haight and Laguna for $565/mo. It was a nice studio but the neighborhood was pretty bad back then, the corner of Haight and Octavia was always occupied by prostitutes. I generally felt safe, but found out when i moved that there had been a stabbing in front of my building. The projects at Haight and Fillmore were still there and this was also before the central freeway was downsized, so I hopped on 101S at Oak and Octavia. I used to walk to the Mission from my place and back then you couldn't get a cab in the mission, because most cabs wouldn't go there because of crime. And back then Hayes valley wasn't really a desirable neighborhood.

However salaries were also lower. My first salaried job was at $27K/year (I'm in accounting), and that felt like a decent salary back then. My boyfriend at the time made $45k (he was an engineer) and he once mentioned he didn't know what to do with that much money!
I attended University of San Francisco, and I lived right in the area where you lived. My studio was even cheaper than that, very affordable because the area hadn't been gentrified. Hell even Tenderloin is Yuppie/Techie hell. The City has become so out of control expensive that public schools are closing due to the fact families can't survive. If these jobs can't provide a decent wage then I don't see the point.......

Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

Look, you can always keep going down this path until you basically end up castigating anyone who is has ever been financially successful. It's always easy to vilify those who make more than we do. And if you ran them all out of town, then sure, the rents would be much cheaper. But there is also a real tradeoff between the cheap rents and what the local economy would look like if all of those people left and only the bottom stayed. It's a bit like saying, "If those damn financial folks weren't in Manhattan, it would make for excellent cheap real estate." Well, that's true... but if the real estate was so cheap, that would be a reflection of a state of affairs in which the place wouldn't have become the world-class economic hub that is New York City, along with all of the infrastructure, amenities, and surrounding industries and communities. Some people might be cool with that, but there is a cost to it. I hear the rents are really cheap in Detroit right now... where are all the takers for those?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:01 AM

You're a moron if you think the only choices are Detroit or Frisco. There's a ton of cities around the US where a crappy top-loaded industry isn't the only player. Chicago and Portland come to mind.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post

Oh I hear ya, I am in the same line of work. It's crazy now when you hear people talk about how much rent they spend in Oakland now too. That's pretty amazing. But that's the power of spill over from being priced out of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland