U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,926,330 times

Advertisements

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 4,559,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
It's a combination of much better weather and a greater tolerance for them. You do know California went bankrupt recently? Even when I was in law school here, homelessness was an issue, but not fixing the problem or not agreeing on policies to fix the problem is part of it.

In NYC it's f%^king cold. If I'm on the street, I'm much more likely to commit a crime, like shoplifting, to get tossed into jail where it's warm and they'll feed me than I would in San Francisco. It can get cold in San Francisco too, but it's not East Coast freezing.

In SF is ****ing COLD when that sun starts to go down and if the wind is cutting through at the same time....burrrr!

If I were homeless I would live in a much warmer place than SF!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM

6,886 posts, read 17,066,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I would be for this but it would give the city and/or state governments another excuse to increase taxation so as to pay for it, because they're wasting our current tax dollars on everything else.

Even if our current homeless were whisked away, they would either come back or be replaced as CA's weather and tolerant city governments will always attract them. Just witness all the illegal aliens who are deported and then come back.

The state will always be populated by the homeless and illegals so long as our citizenry and politicians sympathize with and accommodate them.
Buying tickets home for the homeless is a much more economical system than keeping them in the overburdened shelter system. It's like spending a nickel to save a dollar, and it really strikes at the root of the issue. Most of the homeless are not from San Francisco and don't have any support here - they moved here, just like the ones who actually succeeded, and their luck failed them. The real problem is that they wind up stuck here by the cost of leaving.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM

218 posts, read 261,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
It's a combination of much better weather and a greater tolerance for them. You do know California went bankrupt recently? Even when I was in law school here, homelessness was an issue, but not fixing the problem or not agreeing on policies to fix the problem is part of it.

In NYC it's f%^king cold. If I'm on the street, I'm much more likely to commit a crime, like shoplifting, to get tossed into jail where it's warm and they'll feed me than I would in San Francisco. It can get cold in San Francisco too, but it's not East Coast freezing.

Also, there are things NYC has done to remove homeless (one way tickets and Giuliani-style crackdowns to get rid of them, which you do realize is actually just moving them to someplace else). Bloomberg is definitely keeping that up and is in no mood to have them come back in.

However, it was a complete dunce move on your part to suggest moving them to Oakland. Why is it so hard to just ask a question without offending the next city over?
Because Oakland isn't really a major city compared to SF. I would say the same thign about homeless in Manhattan i.e. move the homeless to Brooklyn.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM

7,813 posts, read 6,894,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Because Oakland isn't really a major city compared to SF. I would say the same thign about homeless in Manhattan i.e. move the homeless to Brooklyn.
The folks in Brooklyn love you as much as those in Oakland, yes?

Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 PM

920 posts, read 790,603 times
Why? Rich city = easier panhandling = mucho drugs = hella homeless. Some of these folks are professional homeless, meaning they've formed coalitions for the homeless.

If you don't have a job, move. If you spend your money on dope/hooch and you can't pay rent, move. If you have a disability/SS/SDI check coming to you monthly and you can't make ends meet, move. You're homeless, you don't have a place to live in a city which is among the most expensive in the world. That's why god invented Merced, Fresno, Barstow and Susanville. The rents are cheap because not too many want to live in those places. But then again you aint gonna get handouts, you might have to get sobered up and do something with your life other than make the landscape your bathroom. Get on it and get out......

Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,574,375 times
I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure God didn't invent any of those cities

Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,849,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
In SF is ****ing COLD when that sun starts to go down and if the wind is cutting through at the same time....burrrr!

Spoken like a true Texan!

Seriously, it gets CHILLY in SF. In the Northeast, bodies freeze solid overnight.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM

622 posts, read 439,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Dude, whaaaa?

Look I was just in NYC for business for 12 days, and I lived there for a couple of years too. I'm not denying that San Francisco can get chilly, but NYC is COLD during the winter. Like you can die cold. It's also windy and if the rain or snow hits, it's ON. When I was there I was out one rainy and cold night with just a peacoat, gloves and a scarf. Dumb, dumb me had a sore throat and a bad case of the sniffles the next day and I had a warm place to stay.

It gets chilly here, but even with the wind chill, you'll live if you can bundle up and find a place to nestle in a corner. In NYC you.will.die. That's why a lot of homeless there sleep in the stations or on the trains there.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,926,330 times
SF won't seem cold at all if you arrive in January from somewhere like Chicago or NYC but after a few years of living somewhere like SF or Oakland you'll feel cold all the time, all year long, because it's always so windy and drafty, even when it's sunny. It's nice at first but a year of temps between 50 and 65 will wear you down...you just need some seasonal hot weather from time to time. Living somewhere like Chicago is miserable in winter but you feel a real physical joy when it warms up for the first time in spring, and in summer the city has a really palpable buzz because people want to enjoy the warm weather and know how crappy it was 6 months before. You don't get that in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland