U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 5,382,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
No, we just want you to go when the @#$#$^% light turns green
Things to do, places to be!
Did you read my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM

414 posts, read 326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbunting View Post
I agree...I HATE San Francisco. We've been literally stuck here for over a year.
It a plastic city wannabe. The poster child for "political correctness" and tolerance and "helping people" (definitely not). I've been trying to get work since we arrived. I haven't gotten even an acknowledgement for my job applications let alone an interview. (yes my credentials are pretty good) I hate the smelly streets, walking over street critters, the endless concrete, the sterile quality of the whole atmosphere. The painted vision of ....heck I dunno...that they put out there for the unwary visitors....it's all a facade.
I personally can't see why ANYone would ever move here or come here on vacation. I mean, what's here? Cable Cars? Big whoopdefriggindo. Fog. REALLY bad weather. A bridge? That it's CLOSE to someplace really really neat like Tahoe? WTF? Plus you pay through the nose for the privilege.

At least a place that has thunder storms or seasons has character. Mountains! TREES! Just WHAT is so great about fog and pablum weather? ...and endless hills encased in concrete and historic hotels turned into SRO's?

Everything is out of the ballpark as far as expensive. It's a big city. WHY does it cost 25% MORE than even NY (where I've also lived) to buy the same damned things? You can't even entertain the notion of maintaining a vehicle because of parking restrictions and over-zealous tow truck drivers. 400 BUCKS to get your car out of hock when they STEAL IT. Holy C**P!

Before anyone says: well, just move. Well, you wanna give me the money that it will take to get away from this insane place? Like I said, I am unemployed. I've wanted to get away from this overly up itself city and back to a place with yards and trees almost since we moved here.

It's a stagnant city. The downtown area with the opera house and philharmonic is surrounded by the most disgusting and dangerous areas to be in after dusk. The grossest of the gross. Visitors have to take a CAB two blocks from the plaza to their hotel to not get mugged. Yeah, THIS is a city worth the trouble of trying to exist in it. I just don't see it.

You walk one block with human vermin littering the streets, drug dealers, the clouds of pot fills the air..you name it and the next block is total affluence with Macy's and Union Square.

San Francisco doesn't have character at all. It doesn't have class. It doesn't have a heart. It doesn't have focus or anything that would define it as worthy of anything noteworthy other than 1906.

Anyone wanting to defend this 'precious city' .... obviously feel free to do what you want. I really don't give a rat's azzzzzz...
Dude, you posted the exact same thing in August last year. Unemployed in Tenderloin doesn't lead to a very objective evaluation of a city. Also, San Francisco may or may not have a lot of things, one thing it HAS is character. Otherwise, there won't be this many love/hate threads on CD.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 61,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Whoever told you that you have access to hiking in SF didn't know what they're talking about.

L.A. is where you live if you care about hiking. You have Mt. Wilson, San G., San Jacinto, Baden-Powell, Cucamonga Peak and Mt. Baldy within 45 mins. to 90 mins. drive.

There is NOWHERE to hike anywhere near San Francisco, unless you're talking about walking with no elevation gain.
No offense, but as Gentoo said, this makes absolutely no sense. Within 30-45 minutes of San Francisco you have:

- Mt. Tam
- Mt. Diablo
- Skyline/John Muir trail
- a number of hiking/climbing areas just west of Los Altos
- Muir Woods/Point Reyes

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and if you expand to a 1-2 hour drive, there are many more. I invite you to consult a topographical map of Northern California.

Also, NYCtoSF is definitely having fun with everyone on the board with trolling (I've seen pre- and post-edit versions of his posts), but people's responses have cracked me up a couple times so I can't say it bothers me too much

Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM

5,508 posts, read 4,787,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
Also, NYCtoSF is definitely having fun with everyone on the board with trolling (I've seen pre- and post-edit versions of his posts), but people's responses have cracked me up a couple times so I can't say it bothers me too much
Are you sure???

It seems like EVERY post is a bash on SF and how it should be more like NYC.

No, it should NOT. NYC should not be the 'model' for ANY city in this country, because it's very BIASED AND CLASSIST. You can't rent an apartment in Manhattan without providing a guarantor who can provide financial documentation where they will be able to not only pay your rent, but their personal expenses as well.

It doesn't matter if you're making $100,000 a year and can comfortably pay your rent on your own like in other major cities either. In addition, you also have to pay the apartment realtor 12% (I think) of the YEARLY rent as his "fee" for getting you the apartment. The only way out of getting a guarantor is if you can pay the entire lease amount. If so, then you don't need a guarantor.

The apartments are super small for what is being requested, the bedrooms can barely fit a bed and a dresser inside of it, there is no kitchen space and the bathrooms are very small. The outerboroughs have much more space, but transplants don't want to live in them.

But YET, people come in here talking about SF is not NYC. Thank goodness for that or you would not be able to rent or find a place to live.

Mind you, I've never been to SF or the Bay period, but I'm guessing it's the nerdy transplants who are trying to "impress" that have a problem with SF not being 'trendy' enough. You've masked your low self-esteem with fake materialism and want to show the world how much you've 'improved' yourself.

You're still the socially awkward nerd who couldn't get a date in high school you always were. No amount of beautiful clothes, jewelry and money can hide it. You "think" it can, but it doesn't.

Go back to your small town or country where all of that nonsense means something to others of similar backgrounds.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 631,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbunting View Post
I agree...I HATE San Francisco. We've been literally stuck here for over a year.
It a plastic city wannabe. The poster child for "political correctness" and tolerance and "helping people" (definitely not). I've been trying to get work since we arrived. I haven't gotten even an acknowledgement for my job applications let alone an interview. (yes my credentials are pretty good) I hate the smelly streets, walking over street critters, the endless concrete, the sterile quality of the whole atmosphere. The painted vision of ....heck I dunno...that they put out there for the unwary visitors....it's all a facade.
I personally can't see why ANYone would ever move here or come here on vacation. I mean, what's here? Cable Cars? Big whoopdefriggindo. Fog. REALLY bad weather. A bridge? That it's CLOSE to someplace really really neat like Tahoe? WTF? Plus you pay through the nose for the privilege.

At least a place that has thunder storms or seasons has character. Mountains! TREES! Just WHAT is so great about fog and pablum weather? ...and endless hills encased in concrete and historic hotels turned into SRO's?

Everything is out of the ballpark as far as expensive. It's a big city. WHY does it cost 25% MORE than even NY (where I've also lived) to buy the same damned things? You can't even entertain the notion of maintaining a vehicle because of parking restrictions and over-zealous tow truck drivers. 400 BUCKS to get your car out of hock when they STEAL IT. Holy C**P!

Before anyone says: well, just move. Well, you wanna give me the money that it will take to get away from this insane place? Like I said, I am unemployed. I've wanted to get away from this overly up itself city and back to a place with yards and trees almost since we moved here.

It's a stagnant city. The downtown area with the opera house and philharmonic is surrounded by the most disgusting and dangerous areas to be in after dusk. The grossest of the gross. Visitors have to take a CAB two blocks from the plaza to their hotel to not get mugged. Yeah, THIS is a city worth the trouble of trying to exist in it. I just don't see it.

You walk one block with human vermin littering the streets, drug dealers, the clouds of pot fills the air..you name it and the next block is total affluence with Macy's and Union Square.

San Francisco doesn't have character at all. It doesn't have class. It doesn't have a heart. It doesn't have focus or anything that would define it as worthy of anything noteworthy other than 1906.

Anyone wanting to defend this 'precious city' .... obviously feel free to do what you want. I really don't give a rat's azzzzzz...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You nailed it about SF and said it exactly how I feel about this place. I hope you'll find a good job soon and will save up to move to more reasonable, normal place. We all have to experience bad places, only to appreciate other locations more later... I had my share of bad city choices before, take NYC alone.

The unfortunate thing is that at this point, in the US, considering bad economy, invasion of H-1s, and overall situation with US population being sold right and left by the corporate government (this ain't the US of the 90s no more), there're hardly any "good" places left where there're still any JOBS left. This is what's keeping me in the area, even though I could leave any time. This and the proximity of incomparable Sierra Nevada. Being a software engineer, I can only find work in big cities mostly... so which choices are there? Polluted, toxic Texas (conservative as well) or polluted So Cal or Sacramento? Not better than SF, unless one wants to get all kinds of diseases from air pollution. NYC? It's even more of a disgusting, overpriced yuppie playground than SF. Seattle? Very rainy and quite insular. Portland? Yeah, if one wants to do 2 jobs serving coffee just to eat, and it'd take a year to find each. Chicago? Cold and Midwestern... Las Vegas, Reno? If you can generate income by cheating at poker...Phoenix? 120F. Denver? Not too bad.... but there're no trees in the surrounding area, I kind of like trees. DC? To me, it's a hellhole. Georgia, Carolinas? Deep South, no matter how you sugarcoat it. Florida? Crime, pollution, no jobs, have to be bi-lingual in some places, etc. So, SF Bay area isn't the WORST. Yet, Bay area is not livable. The salaries do not correlate with the price of real estate in the area, except for special privileged classes of people (MD, JD, CEOs). Engineering salaries are too small--YET people have to sit quiet and suck it up because they can be replaced by an H-1 since US government doesn't care about own people. There're still nice, livable pockets in Bay area, near Santa Cruz mountains, I think...--where one will never be able to afford to own a paid off property, unless you're born into it, of course, because it's some of the most overpriced real estate in the nation... The only "good, livable city" in the US at this point is where you can generate income by working from home/own business/telecommuting, not being tied to a location... then, there's a multitude of great places.

Last edited by alexxiz; 03-25-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

70 posts, read 61,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you sure???

There are a lot of people who like to mess with other people on message boards, or like to complain and are taking advantage of internet anonymity. 99% of people I meet in real life like San Francisco, especially recent transplants, and I've never heard the NYC comparison being made by anyone other than bored people on the internet.

Anyone who moves to a mid-sized city of 750,000 and expects it to be like Manhattan is not going to have the common sense to listen to a well-reasoned argument, anyway.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM

218 posts, read 243,024 times
Quote:
LMAO!

You ain't right.

But I have "heard" that many of the women are below average in the looks department, but believe they're 9s or 10s. Same with the men.
There's no doubt about this any more. I've met several transplants recently and they all have similar complaints about the city. SF has the worst looking talent of any major city in the U.S.

There aren't any enough cute, preppy, white women around so I'll have to make do with the skanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
SF isn't a 'clubbing' city, other than some crappy hiphoppy places which you obviously found.

Did you do no research at all before you moved here????
I wanted the job, everything else was secondary.

Quote:
No offense, but as Gentoo said, this makes absolutely no sense. Within 30-45 minutes of San Francisco you have:

- Mt. Tam
- Mt. Diablo
- Skyline/John Muir trail
- a number of hiking/climbing areas just west of Los Altos
- Muir Woods/Point Reyes

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and if you expand to a 1-2 hour drive, there are many more. I invite you to consult a topographical map of Northern California.

If you're trying to imply that I don't actually live in SF or something then you're wrong. This board has been like a personal blog for my thoughts on moving here from SF. It's all true.

Quote:
Are you sure???

No, it should NOT. NYC should not be the 'model' for ANY city in this country, because it's very BIASED AND CLASSIST. You can't rent an apartment in Manhattan without providing a guarantor who can provide financial documentation where they will be able to not only pay your rent, but their personal expenses as well.

It doesn't matter if you're making $100,000 a year and can comfortably pay your rent on your own like in other major cities either. In addition, you also have to pay the apartment realtor 12% (I think) of the YEARLY rent as his "fee" for getting you the apartment. The only way out of getting a guarantor is if you can pay the entire lease amount. If so, then you don't need a guarantor.

The apartments are super small for what is being requested, the bedrooms can barely fit a bed and a dresser inside of it, there is no kitchen space and the bathrooms are very small. The outerboroughs have much more space, but transplants don't want to live in them.

But YET, people come in here talking about SF is not NYC. Thank goodness for that or you would not be able to rent or find a place to live.

Mind you, I've never been to SF or the Bay period, but I'm guessing it's the nerdy transplants who are trying to "impress" that have a problem with SF not being 'trendy' enough. You've masked your low self-esteem with fake materialism and want to show the world how much you've 'improved' yourself.

You're still the socially awkward nerd who couldn't get a date in high school you always were. No amount of beautiful clothes, jewelry and money can hide it. You "think" it can, but it doesn't.

Go back to your small town or country where all of that nonsense means something to others of similar backgrounds.
I don't know if that last bit was directed at me, but I don't appreciate the hostility either way.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 631,939 times
Quote:
Are you sure???

No, it should NOT. NYC should not be the 'model' for ANY city in this country, because it's very BIASED AND CLASSIST.
No, it should NOT... every day I'm checking the news and go "whoa, they still haven't blown up NYC?? no terrorists, no own misplaced and outpriced locals, no Occupy?"

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM

218 posts, read 243,024 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people who like to mess with other people on message boards, or like to complain and are taking advantage of internet anonymity. 99% of people I meet in real life like San Francisco, especially recent transplants, and I've never heard the NYC comparison being made by anyone other than bored people on the internet.

Anyone who moves to a mid-sized city of 750,000 and expects it to be like Manhattan is not going to have the common sense to listen to a well-reasoned argument, anyway.
The problem is we're paying Manhattan prices and not even getting a tenth of the services.

You haven't heard this comparison made much before because there haven't been that many transplants from the East Coast moving here until a year or two ago. Trust me, almost every single person outside of work that I've socialized with is a transplant and they all have similar complaints.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM

7,391 posts, read 6,256,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post

I wanted the job, everything else was secondary.
Then, coming in totally green, one ought not be surprised by anything, since there are no expectations to be met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland