U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

What's so good about SF again? I've been living in the City for about a year and it sucks! I hate it and want out but I don't know if I can move?

World class prices for a non-World Class city. The people are standoffish, unattractive, sloppy, weird, nerdy or awkward, the homeless, the filth and the delusion that this city is world-class always makes me chuckle. I feel so ripped off when I'm writing my rent check for $3,000 at the first of the month for the privilege of living in this small dump. Whenever I'm in NYC or LA or London I feel so alive. This place seems so cold. Whenever I mention this it's "well the weather is great (looking forward to another AWESOME chilly summer!) and we have great access to hiking." BIG WHOOP. Hiking. Exciting!

But do I even have a choice? Being in the tech industry, it seems that there are less opportunities once you leave this area and there is no way in hell i'm moving down closer to work in suburban office park hell in the Valley. Especially at my young age and with my interests. Oh God, why did I have to be into computers why did I have to be into computers...

The only plus is with the money I make I can afford to high tail it out of here in the next 10 years or so, but 10 years..Ugh.

Last edited by menlo88; 03-13-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,738,423 times
Can somebody call the Waaaambulance.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,456,695 times
So move.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM

622 posts, read 961,824 times
Um, do your research. NYC has one of the most vibrant tech scenes going. There are a lot of start-ups that need help, so move.

I just left NYC a few months ago but fly back every few weeks to check-in with my clients, see my friends and network.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM

46 posts, read 70,162 times
I'm from the East and I feel your pain. But my girlfriend and I are moving back to Brooklyn in May. We only lasted a little over 2 years. Our rent started at 2200 in the Haight area. But rent increases have pushed it up each year. Similar units in our building are now listed for 2895. For that amount of money I can have a sick apartment in Brooklyn. Manhattan not so much but I don't want to live there anyway. Then we will sell our car. You can live here without one but part of the allure of living here is that it is pretty easy to get heck out of town. People on this forum always say the weather is great, the views, the bridge, the food. Those things are not worth a 3,000 dollars a month 1bedroom. The cities you mentioned are alive all hours of the night. LA not so much, but still vibrant. So when you have people walking around all hours of the night it makes for a safer city in certain ways. Some natives think that this is a world class cosmopolitan city with unparalleled cuisine, style, and scenery. I think SF might be overrated. I like live music, lounges with pretty girls, delivery food, and good restaurants. In my 2 years here I never had the inclination to go hiking or to Tahoe. My advice if you can stomach it will be to stay, make your dough and when you are in your early thirties move wherever you want.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM

1,584 posts, read 3,170,029 times
You think SF weather is bad? Have you ever spent a winter or a summer in NYC? Those are two of the most unpleasant season imagineable.

What cities are you comparing SF too? Not just visiting, but actually living in year-round.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,129,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
I'm from the East and I feel your pain. But my girlfriend and I are moving back to Brooklyn in May. We only lasted a little over 2 years. Our rent started at 2200 in the Haight area. But rent increases have pushed it up each year. Similar units in our building are now listed for 2895. For that amount of money I can have a sick apartment in Brooklyn. Manhattan not so much but I don't want to live there anyway. Then we will sell our car. You can live here without one but part of the allure of living here is that it is pretty easy to get heck out of town. People on this forum always say the weather is great, the views, the bridge, the food. Those things are not worth a 3,000 dollars a month 1bedroom. The cities you mentioned are alive all hours of the night. LA not so much, but still vibrant. So when you have people walking around all hours of the night it makes for a safer city in certain ways. Some natives think that this is a world class cosmopolitan city with unparalleled cuisine, style, and scenery. I think SF might be overrated. I like live music, lounges with pretty girls, delivery food, and good restaurants. In my 2 years here I never had the inclination to go hiking or to Tahoe. My advice if you can stomach it will be to stay, make your dough and when you are in your early thirties move wherever you want.
Interesting take.

I would agree that SF's main competition is probably Brooklyn (specifically that Borough).

Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM

622 posts, read 961,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Interesting take.

I would agree that SF's main competition is probably Brooklyn (specifically that Borough).
I'd say so. I'm loving being back in the Bay Area. However, I have moments where I really miss NYC. I have no desire to pay Manhattan rents, but you can find some really nice apartments in Brooklyn and you're close enough.

When I lived in South Williamsburg, I could walk over the bridge and be in the LES pretty fast. If I needed to get there fast, I'd just hop on the train. I'd be in the LES or SoHo in minutes. I can't say the temptation to move back isn't there. However, now my goal is a true bicoastal lifestyle: basically a place to live in both places. Once I can afford it, it's a done deal.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
I hope NYC809 and NYCtoSF are following this thread. I think after they have lived in SF for a year or two, the novelty will have worn off and it will be time to move on . . . or go back to NYC.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,347,387 times
I need some oxygen I've laughed so hard. Out of breath right now. At what point does a highly educated individual step out of the universe and somehow does not do their homework before moving to an area? Now if you moved here while still in High School and had no choice I understand but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Oh and would you really...I mean REALLY prefer a sweltering NY summer complete with it's humidity over a cool SF summer? How about those NY winters where the cold is punctuated by snow storms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland