U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

374 posts, read 1,756,760 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share some of my favorite quotes about the City.

"San Francisco is a city where people are never more abroad than when they are at home" - Benjamin F.Taylor

"One day if I do go to heaven I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco."

"The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I'm here." - Billy Graham

"I love this city. If I'm elected, I will move the White House to San Francisco. I went to Fisherman's Wharf and they even let me into Allioto`s. It may be Baghdad by the Bay to you, but to me it's Resurrection City." - Robert Kennedy

"I'm proud to have been a Yankee. But I have found more happiness and contentment since I came back home to San Francisco than any man has a right to deserve. This is the friendliest city in the world." - Joe DiMaggio, at his fiftieth birthday party.

"You are fortunate to live here. If I were your President, I would levy a tax on you for living in San Francisco!" - Mikhail Gorbachev

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other, incites one to dream. - Georges Pompidou

"East is East, and West is San Francisco." - O. Henry

"San Francisco has only one drawback. ''Tis hard to leave." - Rudyard Kipling

"No city invites the heart to come to life as San Francisco does. Arrival in San Francisco is an experience in living" - William Saroyan

"San Francisco itself is art, above all literary art. Every block is a short story, every hill a novel. Every home a poem, every dweller within immortal. That is the whole truth." - William Saroyan

"What fetched me instantly (and thousands of other newcomers with me) was the subtle but unmistakable sense of escape from the United States."
- H.L. Mencken

"It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco. It must be a delightful city and possess all the attractions of the next world" - Oscar Wilde

"Leaving San Francisco is like saying goodbye to an old sweetheart. You want to linger as long as possible." - Walter Cronkite

"I have always been rather better treated in San Francisco than I actually deserved." - Mark Twain

"It's simply a very romantic place. Just one look at any of those streets, and you couldn't be anywhere else -- it's so beautiful, and there's that location, and the sense of the free spirit. Who couldn't become ravenous in such a place?" - Julia Child

"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing. Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon

"Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live there?" - Herb Caen

“There may not be a Heaven, but there is a San Francisco." - Ashleigh Brilliant

"If you're alive, you can't be bored in San Francisco. If you're not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life.” - William Saroyan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 PM

61 posts, read 186,218 times
"San Francisco...Nine square miles surrounded by reality." - Mayor Gavin Newsome

Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,630,011 times
Love the quotes! Here's another famous one, which was supposedly said by Mark Twain - but according to snopes, that's just a rumor. Oh well, it's a good one (and very true) anyway...
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Love the quotes! Here's another famous one, which was supposedly said by Mark Twain - but according to snopes, that's just a rumor. Oh well, it's a good one (and very true) anyway...
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
I've heard that one, and I actually heard he never really said that. You can see that quote every where on the internet attributed to him. Maybe he did. It's a funny quote. I wonder if he's ever been to Minneapolis in January

Old 09-19-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I've heard that one, and I actually heard he never really said that. You can see that quote every where on the internet attributed to him. Maybe he did. It's a funny quote. I wonder if he's ever been to Minneapolis in January
LOL... yes, Minnesota certainly beats us in the winter. But the real question is, do they have to wear sweaters in July? We do!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... yes, Minnesota certainly beats us in the winter. But the real question is, do they have to wear sweaters in July? We do!
Good one. No, never. I lived in Minneapolis for 7 years. Gosh, in July there were days I would be walking to work at 7AM and it'd be in the 90s. I greatly miss the warm summer nights of the midwest, but summer is unbearably hot and winter is unbearably cold.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 AM

718 posts, read 2,502,164 times
gizmo stole my quote

Old 09-20-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
gizmo stole my quote
Sorry...

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 20,607 times
Actually "San Francisco is 49 square miles surrounded by reality" Paul Kantner, rock band Jefferson Airplane said it

Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 47,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Even if he never said it, I'd believe it! At times this city is the coldest place in the whole nation, especially if you live on the coast. And sometimes I'm steamed by the fact that there is a beach, but swimming in it is like joining the polar bear club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or