Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Varies a lot... if it is important... be sure to ask.

Most appliances are considered amenities.

I've found that many recent renters have great appliances because they previously were home owners that got mixed up in the foreclosure mess.

Newer units will often have built-ins at least for the oven and cooktop so you're covered there.

I'd say it is 50/50 regarding freestanding appliances.

When I managed a number of low income bay area units more than 50% of the service calls were appliance related... the Housing Authority allowed $2 per stove and $2 per refrigerator then... it was an easy decision to forgo the $4 a month to not have to deal with the emergencies... $800 worth of refrigerated food or meds spoiled on a holiday weekend or no Thanksgiving Dinner because the oven went out... and often it was tenant caused.

It really was a problem.

I've always been able to come up with something if needed... would make it a gift or knew where one was available.

One of my legacy apartments is on it's 5th refrigerator in 26 years... the original one worked great... it was blue and the tenant hated the color... she had picked out a new one and I paid for it... it wasn't two years before the shelves and racks on the new one were broken... the blue one was perfect... just the wrong color.

Later, a program offered low-income household a free energy efficient models... so they took away refrigerator number 3 because it was not energy efficient and put in 4... which lasted exactly 7 years till the compressor went out... put in number 5 this week...

The ironic part is we have one of those 30 year old turquoise blue refrigerators in the family and it has worked flawlessly and still is...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-17-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland