U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,297 times
Default Relocating to Mill Valley, Suggestinos for living and jobs

Hi folks,

My wife and I are relocating to Mill Valley, CA from Manhattan NY.
My wife just got a job and we're excited about the move.

Now I am not sure what companies are there in that area but ill have to look for a job in marketing, project management, product management, etc.. i could even do a teller worst case.. im willing to commute upto 30 45 mins each way drive if need be.

Im a USAF vet and hoping to get some decent job so we could settle down there for a long term .

the other questino I have is rentals.. i couldnt find many rental apartments in that area.. so where do most people live? homes are in the 600 K range no way someone with a 60k salary can afford that.. so just trying to find answers.

I am sure the corporate HR for my wife's company will provide further details in a short time.. but I wanted to find out more..

we're just a young couple in the 30's and hoping for a new start.

Appreciate any help....

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

252 posts, read 316,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn23 View Post
Hi folks,

My wife and I are relocating to Mill Valley, CA from Manhattan NY.
My wife just got a job and we're excited about the move.

Now I am not sure what companies are there in that area but ill have to look for a job in marketing, project management, product management, etc.. i could even do a teller worst case.. im willing to commute upto 30 45 mins each way drive if need be.

Im a USAF vet and hoping to get some decent job so we could settle down there for a long term .

the other questino I have is rentals.. i couldnt find many rental apartments in that area.. so where do most people live? homes are in the 600 K range no way someone with a 60k salary can afford that.. so just trying to find answers.

I am sure the corporate HR for my wife's company will provide further details in a short time.. but I wanted to find out more..

we're just a young couple in the 30's and hoping for a new start.

Appreciate any help....

thanks
First, welcome to California and the Bay Area. Mill Valley is a very charming town, and yes, very expensive. Mill Valley itself doesn't have very many rentals, but there are some in towns close by (still not cheap, but more reasonable). I would recommend looking in Corte Madera, Larkspur, San Rafael and Novato. Craigslist is the best source to find places for rent.

For job searching, you will probably have the best odds of finding something in San Francisco rather then in Marin county, which has very few large companies. For employment listings I've had the best luck with Indeed.com, or Craigslist, or you might want to consider signing up with a recruiter in your field. For tech/social media/gaming, there is a lot of hiring for programmers, but in other fields, not as much. I have a friend who's a product manager and she can't find anything she even wants to apply to. I'm in accounting and have struggled to find work and am close to getting a temp job through a recruiter, otherwise resumes i'm sending out i'm getting no response. Note, if you were to move to Novato, the commute to San Francisco will likely be at least an hour, either by bus or ferry. Unfortunately public transit in the bay area is not as good as NYC, Marin being particularly limited.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM

348 posts, read 291,403 times
I'll echo thecooler's comment about limited transit options in Marin. It's Golden Gate Transit only, and the trip to S.F. gets old fast.

Would you consider moving to a Bay Area home outside of Marin county? I suspect it would be much easier to find a job within reasonable commuting distance of a BART station. (Although you'll be hard pressed to find a town as scenic as Mill Valley.)

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM

622 posts, read 364,969 times
I agree with the previous replies. When you wrote Mill Valley, I assumed your situation was different: you already had the income to move there or your plans were already set with the specifics.

I love Mill Valley but there aren't a lot of rentals. Since you're in Manhattan think Weschester county with no Metro-North railroad, so if you need to get to Pleasantville or Lake Katonah, you've got to drive or take the bus. There is no hoping on the train and having a friend pick you up at the station or calling a taxi service to get you where you're going from the station. That's essentially what it is because Marin blocked BART from coming to that area.

I'm not sure about work in the area. Of course, there are professionals there. I just don't know the market in Marin. You'll both need cars or else you'll be dependent on Golden Gate Transit. In a well off area like Mill Valley people definitely have cars and mass transit probably isn't something that runs frequently. When I used to go to Mill Valley to shop and eat, which I've actually not done since I moved back because I don't have a car, I drove.

I'm not sure where your wife's job will be, Mill Valley? But it might be smarter to get a car for her so she can drive to Mill Valley for work but you live somewhere else like the East Bay. She can get to Mill Valley across the Richmond – San Rafael bridge. If you lived in the city, of course, she'd get in via the Golden Gate. That seems to be more realistic considering that you want to rent and that you're not sure where you'll be working.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes my Wife will be working in Mill Valley just a few miles off of the golden gate bridge.
I am ok with commute .. we both have cars and we can drive anywhere...

we dont mind buying but werent sure until we have spent a few months in that area .. Ive visited CA many times but it's never the same when you move..

going to school for my Masters is an option I have so I might consider that as well if nothing works out.
I did find companies like Glassdoor, Autodesk and Restoration Hardware in that area .. which have decent jobs..and Lucas Arts ofcourse.. however I havent had any luck so far hearing back from any of them.. ( i am assuming because it says NYC on my resume).

im sure driving everywhere will get old soon.. so just making a list of areas that we can stay in .. upto about 30 mins commute into SFO or the other way!..

Also good to know the market for jobs isint the same as NYC.. !!
Again thanks for all the help.. we're definitely excited with the move.. just gotta put all the pieces of the puzzle together.. !

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM

btw I Dont have to live in MIll Valley.. i could live outside of that as well.. ive looked ad sausalito, strawberry, Corte Madera and Larkspur as well.. still rentals dont seem to be 1. less expensive , 2. arent plenty in that area..

if I have to live in SFO and reverse commute it wouldnt make sense.. we want the suburban lifestyle .. kinda tired of 600 sqft holes for 3000 bucks a month!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 PM

622 posts, read 364,969 times
You need to do more research. San Francisco does have a crazy rental market right now. In that way it's similar to NYC, but NYC is its own beast when it comes to what people charge, pay and how it works.

Maybe read other threads, get more suggestions but also get a realistic view of what life is like in Marin vs. the East Bay as that's an option too. Not that you can't live in Marin and be just fine, but you'll both, most likely, will need to drive if you live there.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Thank you! Yes I am.. I wont be out there for 2 more weeks to visit , spend a weekend and drive around to find out whats around.

I guess it comes down to jobs and what we can earn as a couple depends on the affordability of where we can live !

Thanks again for all suggestions.. plenty of work to do on the net before we head out there

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 20,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn23 View Post
we both have cars and we can drive anywhere...
im sure driving everywhere will get old soon.. so just making a list of areas that we can stay in .. upto about 30 mins commute into SFO or the other way!..
Einstein's theories apply here. What takes 30 minutes one time of day, will take 2 or 3 times that during the mass commutes.

Quote:
going to school for my Masters is an option I have so I might consider that as well if nothing works out.
I did find companies like Glassdoor, Autodesk and Restoration Hardware in that area .. which have decent jobs..and Lucas Arts ofcourse.. however I havent had any luck so far hearing back from any of them..

Also good to know the market for jobs isint the same as NYC.. !!
Again thanks for all the help.. we're definitely excited with the move.. just gotta put all the pieces of the puzzle together.. !
Unemployment figures in the Bay Area are touted at 9 to 10% I think. But that is just by using a very poor measure of employment. People are underemployed, and there's more folks who have given-up for the time being who are not counted and who do apply for jobs when they feel they have a chance or fit. It's not uncommon for a company or an agency to get a few thousand applications for one posted opening.

Also, some companies fill a good portion of their needs via contract workers. You might find "work" in chunks of 3 or 4 months, but then be let go and you chase and find another gig. Those companies having contract-work opportunities will use some agency or broker to match the talent to the need, and also you would get paid by agency/broker.

Quote:
( i am assuming because it says NYC on my resume).
Not necessarily. I get a bit of an impression from your first post that you are positioning yourself very generally. And you probably have a good breadth of skills and accomplishments. But it is a sad fact (at least I think other people would agree) that the people and the systems/software that do the hiring like to pigeon-hole candidates. They must see a direct match and a strong impression from the candidate. And their focus is sometimes very very narrow. You would be well-served to pay a professional there or here or both... to work with you to surface your talents and get them down and shaped for a strong/impact resume. Of course, you'll have to talk the talk yourself as well.

Some thoughts:
- M2 in SF is one of the major brokers for contract work.
- Companies large and small may have a 'favored' broker they work with.
- County goverment (Marin, SF, ...) may have openings. But I do not have the experience to say that's a good investment of time -- they are downsizing and laying off still due to budget constraints, and even though the post a job does not mean it isn't already earmarked/matched internally.
- Nelson Staffing in San Rafael may be a way for you to get a foot in the door somewhere. I'd suggest calling them or somehow approaching them as a matter of inquiry. Try to pull something out of them... that you want to know or learn (rather than just tossing a resume in the inbox).

So, what do you mean by 'project management'? Can you readily put that into the context of some industry, especially if you demonstrated accomplishments and results in that area?

ETA: I meant to say above that contract work can be a good way to attract a permanent job offer. They get to try you out before they commit you to benefits and their ranks. But from what I've heard from a friend or two, "the push is on from the start to deliver results".

PM to follow

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,331,387 times
Northern Marin is way cheaper than Southern Marin which is one of the most expensive parts of the US. Novato and San Rafael would likely fit your budget more easily, the rents there are almost comparable with the East Bay from what I've seen, but rents are going up everywhere in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland