Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM

63 posts, read 193,988 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'll be moving to the bay area in 14 months from Miami, FL. Relocating with me will be my wife and three small children, we plan on flying instead of driving. I also plan on sending all of my furniture and two vehicles, a Gallant and Explorer. The furniture will be transferred via moving company, I’m looking into the best way to transfer two vehicles, I thought about a trailer, or even a closed in container. Does anyone have any prior experience or better ideas, please share!

I'm originally from the bay area, lived in FL for about 18 years, HATE IT!!! I have tons of family in the bay, a job and housing waiting for me and my family, just need info on moving two vehicles from coast to coast.

Thanks Guys….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
Just call a vehicle shipment broker, there's a constant flow of car-carriers moving between the coasts all the time. I think it was about $700 to move our Acura from Philly to SF.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,096 times
You can also just get someone to drive it for you. That's what a couple did with me. We were moving at the same time roughly: NYC to the Bay Area. I posted something about ride-sharing (thinking more towards renting and just sharing expenses) and they found me. That might be too random for you. However, there are companies that do this. One I found was Autodriveaway.com.

I was looking as a driver, but, of course, the other side are people who want their cars moved from point A to point B.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM

63 posts, read 193,988 times
GoneDownSouth, $700 from PHI to SF for an Acura is great! Do you have the telephone # for the company you used?

RKWalton, I dont really like the idea of someone driving my car(s), beside my Gallant has 123K miles it won’t make the trip lol. My Explorer has 3000 miles; it’s still a baby I don’t want to abuse her! But thanks for the link; I'll contact them on Monday.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saname81 View Post
GoneDownSouth, $700 from PHI to SF for an Acura is great! Do you have the telephone # for the company you used?

RKWalton, I dont really like the idea of someone driving my car(s), beside my Gallant has 123K miles it won’t make the trip lol. My Explorer has 3000 miles; it’s still a baby I don’t want to abuse her! But thanks for the link; I'll contact them on Monday.
I hear you. I just wanted to put those options out there.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saname81 View Post

It was a couple years ago, I don't have the files with my anymore.
Basically, we googled for auto brokers, picked a few based on professionalism of their website and general good vibe on the phone and then went with the best price.

Since they're all brokers who tender the loads out to independent truckers, there's no real difference in the quality of the product offered. What's important is how professional and "non scammy" they come across!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland