U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,635 posts, read 30,107,935 times
Reputation: 10374
Default Why are the feds raiding Oaksterdam?

I was driving up B'way this morning and noticed a bunch of DEA people at Oaksterdam. I dont use marijuana, never have, but I fail to understand the logic behind cracking down on medicinal marijuana?

Is this the Obama administration throwing the medical pot industry under the bus because they want to look tough on crime?

Whatever the reason, I can think of a million more pressing things they could be spending their time cracking down on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,868 posts, read 9,498,556 times
Reputation: 5550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was driving up B'way this morning and noticed a bunch of DEA people at Oaksterdam. I dont use marijuana, never have, but I fail to understand the logic behind cracking down on medicinal marijuana?

Is this the Obama administration throwing the medical pot industry under the bus because they want to look tough on crime?

Whatever the reason, I can think of a million more pressing things they could be spending their time cracking down on.
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,548,721 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was driving up B'way this morning and noticed a bunch of DEA people at Oaksterdam. I dont use marijuana, never have, but I fail to understand the logic behind cracking down on medicinal marijuana?

Is this the Obama administration throwing the medical pot industry under the bus because they want to look tough on crime?

Whatever the reason, I can think of a million more pressing things they could be spending their time cracking down on.
Because most "patients" are recreational drug users and the "medicine" is the recreational drug. Its still federally illegal regardless what state law is passed (Federal Supremacy vs. state law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 331,643 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Is this the Obama administration throwing the medical pot industry under the bus because they want to look tough on crime?
Yes - That's my opinion, anyway. This is our "post-partisan" President - a man so interested in maintaining his political power that he's willing to sell-out his base just so he can't be accused of looking soft-on-crime. Nevermind that the policies themselves are illogical, wasteful, and against the will of the majority (and those that elected him).

This is a troubling pattern - I'm convinced the only reason Obama signed the Patriot Act extension or the NDAA was so he couldn't be accused of being soft on terrorism. Who cares if they **** all over your civil rights - hey the GOP can't call Obama soft now! Because politics takes priority over policy, right? What garbage that kind of thinking is.

The other theory is that there are "rogue" federal agents or US Attorneys that are making these moves locally without the consent or instruction of the Obama administration - guys who made their careers on waging this worthless war on drugs, and who feel the need to justify their taxpayer subsidized existence. This seems less likely to me, not because these type of people don't exist in the ranks of the DEA or FBI (they do), but because I refuse to believe that the Presidential Administration doesn't set or can't control these agencies' priorities or agendas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,548,721 times
Reputation: 1488
DEA looks at it from the same perspective as any illegal drug. As long as its in that category on the federal books there will be sweeps and arrests. I don't think agents are "rogue", its just the way it is. I know sometimes its hard for Californians to grasp, but this isn't a separate country or where the state tail wags the federal dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
2,687 posts, read 2,021,278 times
Reputation: 2125
jeffredo needs a bong rip, sounds a little to angry for these boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,548,721 times
Reputation: 1488
I'm fine and mellow enough to begin with (a nice hike is a better stress relief for me). I'm just not in denial as to what all the medical marijuana cards and dispensaries are really for (and apparently neither are the feds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 331,643 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
DEA looks at it from the same perspective as any illegal drug. As long as its in that category on the federal books there will be sweeps and arrests. I don't think agents are "rogue", its just the way it is. I know sometimes its hard for Californians to grasp, but this isn't a separate country or where the state tail wags the federal dog.
The DEA, like any federal agency, has a finite budget and therefore must set priorities as it cannot tackle any and every problem within its sphere of influence. When Obama campaigned, on more than one occasion he specifically stated that federal resources would not be used to combat Medical Marijuana in states that had approved it. So either 1 of 2 things are happening:

1) Obama is a liar and/or a political opportunist that is willing to break his promises for the sake of political power (the first scenario in my last post above), OR

2) Federal agents are specifically ignoring the Obama Administration's internal instructions on not enforcing federal law as it applies to medical marijuana facilities. Hence the word "rogue" - deliberately disobeying your chain of command.

Its not as simple as a black-and-white, "they are just enforcing the law" issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,128,199 times
Reputation: 556
jeffredo is correct

california medical maryjane was passed in 1996

Gonzales v. Raich (previously ******** v. Raich), 545 U.S. 1 (2005), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court ruling that under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution, the United States Congress may criminalize the production and use of home-grown cannabis even where states approve its use for medicinal purposes.


as far as the DEA and FBI are concerned california's medical mj law does not exist and the reality is some procurers are going to be looking at some time in federal prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
 
735 posts, read 672,448 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
The DEA, like any federal agency, has a finite budget and therefore must set priorities as it cannot tackle any and every problem within its sphere of influence. When Obama campaigned, on more than one occasion he specifically stated that federal resources would not be used to combat Medical Marijuana in states that had approved it. So either 1 of 2 things are happening:

1) Obama is a liar and/or a political opportunist that is willing to break his promises for the sake of political power (the first scenario in my last post above), OR

2) Federal agents are specifically ignoring the Obama Administration's internal instructions on not enforcing federal law as it applies to medical marijuana facilities. Hence the word "rogue" - deliberately disobeying your chain of command.

Its not as simple as a black-and-white, "they are just enforcing the law" issue.
Not sure how accurate this article is (Obama Not Implicated In California Medical Marijuana Crackdown, U.S. Attorney Claims), but it says that Obama wasn't involved in the decision-making that's lead to this ramp up in crackdowns. However, I think the actual truth has to be a bit more complicated than that, and I'd be pretty surprised if Obama had no control over or say in implementing these systematic crackdowns.

I personally don't smoke (or care if other people do), but it does seem like a huge waste of time to crackdown on these establishments. At least they're allowing for a more transparent and regulated approach vs. buying it from a drug dealer on the street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top