Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
The only thing you really need to worry about is avoiding Oakland. Otherwise you'll be fine.
OP, disregard this idiotic statement. There are plenty of nice parts of Oakland. There are also plenty of parts of SF that are more dangerous than parts of Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
If you're used to NYC your street smarts should be decent enough that you'd be able to survive in SF. There is quite a bit of crime in SF but it's in a few smallish areas like the eastern Mission and the Tenderloin which are usually easy to avoid, but even if you had to go to those areas to do something it would be ok. You always have to have your guard up a bit because of all the crazy bums but I imagine you get that in NYC. Generally you won't have a problem. Yes Oakland has more crime, mainly gangs shooting up one another, but Oakland has a lot of really cool areas which are safer, quieter, cleaner, and way cheaper than SF. Even most people in SF think Oakland is just one big sketchy ghetto.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

I personally think New Yorkers are much friendlier. New Yorkers enjoy talking.

They certainly do enjoy talking, but a lot of it ain't exactly friendly.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
The Bay Area totally kills it for mid-range restaurants. A lot of quality and creativity in the $15-30 entree range.

There are zillions of places to try. Subscribe to Eater SF.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

5) Crime: With Oakland near by and usually top ranked as one of the most crime ridden areas of the U.S., I wonder how San Francisco is effected by this. Also, I hear mixed bags of San Francisco being a city where you have to watch you're back all the time . Don't know how true that is but a lot of people definitely tell me that crime there is sketchy.
If you're worried about crime, then definitely avoid Oakland. Even if you live in the "Hills" you still have to drive through the flats eventually. Since you're mentioning it, you know the cities reputation. It's not made up, the city is the most violent in California statistically. That being said, crime from Oakland doesn't touch S.F, and vice versa.

San Francisco is the largest urban center in the Bay (behind San Jose), and there are some rough neighborhoods (Hunters Point, Tenderloin, parts of the Mission, etc). But you definitely don't have to watch your back all the time. Places like Pac Heights, Russian/Nob Hill are fairly nice, trendy and hip.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 04-05-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If you're worried about crime, then definitely avoid Oakland. Even if you live in the "Hills" you still have to drive through the flats eventually. Since you're mentioning it, you know the cities reputation. It's not made up, the city is the most violent in California statistically.
See, the reason why you're being answered by the Oakland people around here is because you're going around planting this Oakland-hate stuff all over the place, and they're not going to let it sit and fester without a response. You're coming in here with what appears to be a very pointed, dubious, narrow agenda, and beating it to death for no apparent reason.

Which is the hallmark of yet another troll.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
See, the reason why you're being answered by the Oakland people around here is because you're going around planting this Oakland-hate stuff all over the place, and they're not going to let it sit and fester without a response. You're coming in here with what appears to be a very pointed, dubious, narrow agenda, and beating it to death for no apparent reason.

Which is the hallmark of yet another troll.
That's your opinion. I have my opinion. Like I said, I'm not going to go back and forth about Oakland anymore. It's a waste of time, and I'm not changing my opinion, and I'm assuming you won't change yours. The funny thing is, ever since I posted in the "Oakland... violent and dangerous city" thread, I have gotten private messages from Oakland residents who say they agree with me about what was being said in that thread. They also agreed that there are a lot of Oaklanders who have "rosy colored" glasses on, and refuse to acknowledge anything negative about their city (not my words, but a message I received).

If you read the original poster's post, he even acknowledges that Oakland has a reputation of being violent and being full of crime which he/she is worried about. I'm simply confirming it to be true, which is my right, and my opinion. It's not only my opinion, but statistically it's a fact:
Quote:
Oakland Officially Most Dangerous City in California:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_976548.html

With a rate of 15.3 violet crimes per 1,000 people, Oakland is the most dangerous city in California. Crime has historically been a problem for the city, which is on pace this year to have one of its highest homicide rates in over a decade.

Mayor Jean Quan is holding a crime summit next month with both crime experts and Oakland residents to take a long, hard look at how the city tackles the issue.

The Huffington Post is one of the most read e-publications on the internet, are they posting "Oakland-hate stuff" and trolling? No I don't think so, I believe their opinion is very well researched and backed by solid empirical data.

If you want to accuse me of trolling, and make this personal, then I can add you to my ignore list as well, and we both don't have to step on each others toes since I will never see another one of your post again. I have used up any patience I have left to go back and forth with the Oaklanders. Nothing personal, but I'm trying to make my experience here worthwhile, and enjoyable, and hopefully gain good information and give good information when the opportunity presents itself.

I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 04-05-2012 at 01:19 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If you're worried about crime, then definitely avoid Oakland. Even if you live in the "Hills" you still have to drive through the flats eventually. Since you're mentioning it, you know the cities reputation. It's not made up, the city is the most violent in California statistically. That being said, crime from Oakland doesn't touch S.F, and vice versa.

San Francisco is the largest urban center in the Bay (behind San Jose), and there are some rough neighborhoods (Hunters Point, Tenderloin, parts of the Mission, etc). But you definitely don't have to watch your back all the time. Places like Pac Heights, Russian/Nob Hill are fairly nice, trendy and hip.
Based on your logic, you also shouldn't drive through the Tenderloin. But it would be pretty difficult to get to quite a few areas in SF if you avoided driving in the Mission, etc.

Oakland has limited spillover from crime, especially violent spillover. It is pretty concentrated to specific areas. If you don't spend much time in those areas, the likely impact of crime for you personally is minimal.

Unfortunately, people in the media (and these forums) try to use a single brush to paint a picture of Oakland. That Oakland is all crime, all the time. And when other people chime in and talk about their experiences, despite the reputation, they are accused of having rose colored glasses. In reality people are wearing realistic glasses. Your experiences in Oakland can vary greatly depending on where you live and where you go. This is true of every city. People seem to dwell on one part of the city. Sharing positive stories about Oakland, doesn't mean you are oblivious to the challenges.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Based on your logic, you also shouldn't drive through the Tenderloin. But it would be pretty difficult to get to quite a few areas in SF if you avoided driving in the Mission, etc.

Oakland has limited spillover from crime, especially violent spillover. It is pretty concentrated to specific areas. If you don't spend much time in those areas, the likely impact of crime for you personally is minimal.

Unfortunately, people in the media (and these forums) try to use a single brush to paint a picture of Oakland. That Oakland is all crime, all the time. And when other people chime in and talk about their experiences, despite the reputation, they are accused of having rose colored glasses. In reality people are wearing realistic glasses. Your experiences in Oakland can vary greatly depending on where you live and where you go. This is true of every city. People seem to dwell on one part of the city. Sharing positive stories about Oakland, doesn't mean you are oblivious to the challenges.
That's actually a well thought out post, but you should probably be addressing it towards the original poster instead of me.

I would question how you know what is "likely" to happen to someone who travels to Oakland, is this based on statistics? According to the stats you have a 1 in 64 chance of being a victim of violent crime in Oakland (1 in 212 is the average for California).

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM

323 posts, read 697,262 times
I am an ex NYer born and raised and now live in Oakland. I walk around all the time enjoy my early morning early run around Lake Merritt, taking an hour stroll grabbing a bite for lunch and taking my dogs out a night. It is a great city with allot to offer even for tourists.
My sense is that for the most part unless you have a beef with someone over drugs, women or snitching people leave you alone. Yes you can be a victim of a mugging or worse but that can happen in SF and often does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland