U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 53,771 times

Advertisements

i'm gonna be going on vacation to sf soon and won't be bringing or renting a car. is there like...one pass i could use for the different public transit systems there during my stay or something? something i could pay in advance? or will i just have to figure out the bart, caltrain, amtrak, etc while I'm there?

might sound really stupid, but i don't know. this is not my area of expertise at all (barely have ever used public transit here where i live, always a car) so any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,916,153 times
Get one of these:

Muni Visitor Passports and San Francisco CityPASS

Use the maps on the sfmta site to figure out which lines go where. Use 511.org for tips about which lines to use to get from A to B. Use nextbus.com to find when the next Muni bus or light rail train is coming. You can't use those visitor passes on BART (they do work on the cable cars though) but BART only has one line in SF and a ride is only $1.75 so it's not breaking the bank. If you are going outside of SF, BART is the best way to go but its stations are spread all over the place and once you leave SF and get off BART, public transit in the suburban Bay Area is pretty crappy.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

180 posts, read 47,731 times
Stay around Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf and get a Muni Visitor Passport. You can buy them next to the Powell Street Cable Car Station. It's good for all buses, cable cars, trolleys, and light rail. It's very easy, don't worry. Stay IN the city and get a pass.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM

360 posts, read 346,140 times
SFMTA produces an excellent hard copy of the system maps at:

Muni Maps

... but they've done an as-excellent job of making the maps hard to come by. You usually can get a copy at the cable car kiosk at Powell and Market.

It's worth the trouble. The map lists frequency of all lines, and is about all you need to navigate the city by bus or train.

You also can get a system map at Walgreens, but it's not nearly as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland