Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,552,870 times

Advertisements

The problem is the people in Oakland refuse to take responsibility for their own community. Most feel safe because they're not poor, not a minority, not involved with gangs. Its something that happens on the news, not to them personally.You can see it in every thread about Oakland on this forum. Typical excuses include:
The violence is confined to a few areas.
Its all gang related therefore it can't affect me.
I don't live down in the 'flats'
I feel perfectly safe walking around my neighborhood at xyz hour.
I have an education, good income and a house in the 'good' part of town, why should i care?
Bad things happen in San Francisco too, why is all the attention focused on us?
etc etc
The failed political system, police dept and education system in Oakland is a direct result of the actions and attitudes of the people living in that city. As long as the locals refuse to accept responsibility for the things that happen in their community, Oakland will never change.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM

218 posts, read 482,972 times
My guess is it's because of rampant liberalism coupled with violent groups being concentrated there. There's simply no other explanation.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You have zero idea what you're talking about.
Poor sap is confused with LA

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
You're kind of opening up a can of worms here. Lots of sensitive people and a sensitive topic for some who live there. I hope you have your flame suit on.

In general though, I think it's a mix of poverty, and racial tension. The poverty causes some youth to pursue "easier" ways to make money, coupled with racial tension, especially between hispanics and blacks, drives a lot of the gang warfare. You can also add a crumbling infrastructure, and a huge deficit, which all hurt the management of public services like schools, and law enforcement. Somewhat incompetent politicians have not helped either.
! Dude seriously, I think you watched to much gang movies.

Just like Nineties Flava said, you have zero idea what you're talking about.

You =

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

218 posts, read 482,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
The problem is the people in Oakland refuse to take responsibility for their own community. Most feel safe because they're not poor, not a minority, not involved with gangs. Its something that happens on the news, not to them personally.You can see it in every thread about Oakland on this forum. Typical excuses include:
I have an education, good income and a house in the 'good' part of town, why should i care?
etc etc
The failed political system, police dept and education system in Oakland is a direct result of the actions and attitudes of the people living in that city. As long as the locals refuse to accept responsibility for the things that happen in their community, Oakland will never change.
When you allow wimpy liberals to dominate your city what do you expect?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,707,530 times
Quote:
etc etc
Would you care to point to a single other city where the people "take responsibility for their own community"? Clearly it's not NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Houston, DC, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Miami, San Diego, Sacramento, Phoenix, etc... so where does that leave?

Or is Oakland supposed to be held to a different standard? I really don't think that you actually believe in what you're saying... if you do, then you're the biggest hypocrite on the board.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,552,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
When you allow wimpy liberals to dominate your city what do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Would you care to point to a single other city where the people "take responsibility for their own community"? Clearly it's not NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Houston, DC, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Miami, San Diego, Sacramento, Phoenix, etc... so where does that leave?

Or is Oakland supposed to be held to a different standard? I really don't think that you actually believe in what you're saying... if you do, then you're the biggest hypocrite on the board.
See above.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,707,530 times
Quote:

See above.

Oh, so you mean you're the troll. For once I agree with you.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
i think the poorer it gets, the more dangerous/desperate
Among the nation's 50 largest cities, Oakland is actually one of the wealthier and better educated ones on average-even though it has the highest crime rate(after Detroit).

I personally think that there's something to be said about how close to each other rich people and poor people are in Oakland---very close compared to other places.

Earlier this week I went to a community meeting in Montclair where people were furious about the increase in burglaries and home break-ins in our area, crime is up 20% citywide over last year, which is absurd.

We have a relatively small band of very very BAD and feckless individuals who are void of any moral compass and can't see past their greed, who refuse to advance through education, or even through meaningful work at places like the Home Depot or whatever. They want the spoils of the rich but they don't want to actually work for it, and they are indifferent to the life and property of others.

Like I said they are a very small group, hence recent news reports of perps getting caught and then being linked to sometimes DOZENS of robberies, burglaries, thefts.

Dozens.

The rest of us, the vast majority of us, the 99% of the rest of Oakland, we are the ones who get the black eye in the media, we are the ones who lose our property and sometimes loved ones, and the rest of this otherwise incredibly desirable and vibrant city is suffering as a result of this EVIL, violent and lawless 1% that needs to be broken. BROKEN. Into pieces. NOW. RIGHT NOW.

After 4 straight years of noticeable decline in homicides and crimes, 2011 saw an uptick in homicies and this year so far in 2012 we are seeing a rise in most categories.

What do we do Oaklanders? I could personally give a rat's @ss about outsiders talking sh1t because they dont matter and are meaningless trolls, but what should we do? I dont know.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM

180 posts, read 210,777 times
It's a vicious cycle of terrible parents after terrible parents. Oakland's crime isn't going to change anytime soon. Then you add the poor city leadership and it's just more gasoline to the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland