Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM

330 posts, read 748,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I hear the same thing from other similar people (white middle class upbringing). Not sure how these people also came to find this "diversity" important. Haven't had a chance to inquire further. It is really interesting. Generally speaking, for the average white american, living in a diverse place is low on the priority list.
I think this is completely false. If this were true how would you explain the mass migration of white folks back into the downtowns and inner-cities of America, places where diversity is generally the strongest? How would you explain gentrification? Aren't people always complaining that white yuppies are moving into black and latino neighborhoods and changing their character??

Sure, perhaps the older generation of retirees still would rather live in all-white communities, but I've seen absolutely zero indications that Gen X and Y feel that way.

Also, I found it rather ironic that in order to make your thinly veiled accusation of racism, you judged an entire group of people based on the color of their skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
I think this is completely false. If this were true how would you explain the mass migration of white folks back into the downtowns and inner-cities of America, places where diversity is generally the strongest? How would you explain gentrification? Aren't people always complaining that white yuppies are moving into black and latino neighborhoods and changing their character??

Sure, perhaps the older generation of retirees still would rather live in all-white communities, but I've seen absolutely zero indications that Gen X and Y feel that way.

Also, I found it rather ironic that in order to make your thinly veiled accusation of racism, you judged an entire group of people based on the color of their skin.
I should clarify. These people are young to middle aged singles. Judgement? No. I am generalizing but to he honest there are two different things here. 1. People actively choosing to live somewhere diverse vs 2. People choosing to live somewhere with xyz amenities that happen to be more diverse. In my experience white Americans do not purposely choose diverse neighborhoods and put that on their shopping list.

Most of the white people are moving back downtown because they realized it was convenient. Not because they wanted to live in area with a wider range of people and ethnic groups.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM

143 posts, read 295,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I should clarify. These people are young to middle aged singles. Judgement? No. I am generalizing but to he honest there are two different things here. 1. People actively choosing to live somewhere diverse vs 2. People choosing to live somewhere with xyz amenities that happen to be more diverse. In my experience white Americans do not purposely choose diverse neighborhoods and put that on their shopping list.

Most of the white people are moving back downtown because they realized it was convenient. Not because they wanted to live in area with a wider range of people and ethnic groups.
In other words, no white parent has ever said, "I am not sending my kid to this school because there aren't enough black kids in enrolled"! lol

Seriously, I was in a bar in oakland where i got in to a conversation with two ladies originally from Marin. Both said they loved living in Oakland for its vibe, and that Marin was too boring for them.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
Eh. I dunno. jade408 is probably right when describing most of the country

People who live in the Bay Area, especially natives, live in a bubble where outwardly visible racism isn't so common. I think that the East Coast is generally much more racist and open about it and that people moving to downtown Philly or Baltimore are doing it for the convenience/hipster aspect, not because they are trying to have more of a diverse collection of friends. I can't really speak for the Midwest because I've never actually been there, but I can't imagine it being much different.

With that said, one of the reasons why I left the East Coast was because of the pervasive racist/homophobic/religious overtones. I'm also not going to lie and say I moved to West Oakland because of diversity either- I moved here because it's cheap and close to SF and downtown Oakland.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,117 times
Holy God. Isn't the whole hipster thing kind of played out? There are douchebags in every strand of our fine cultural fabric, my friends.

I'm going back to the bay area in the fall, and... **** me, I guess? I'm getting an MFA in music, I'm working but broke, I ride a fixed bike, I wear black, my boyfriend is 70% tattooed. Am I a hipster? I don't care about living somewhere cool or 'edgy'. I don't want to gentrify any poor neighborhoods or alter any cultural landscapes. I just want to live in a place where I feel ok walking/riding around for a few miles, where there's a decent bookstore, and where I'm not paying out the ass for a dingy broom closet *coughSFcough*

Oakland is weird. It's a little like Portland in attitude. 'Quirky.' But some people wear kevlar. And yeah, people are going to make a big deal over the crime because there IS A LOT OF CRIME. SORRY. In the first six months I lived there (on College and Alcatraz, mind you -- arguably the NICEST area of Oakland) I was privy to: three muggings literally right outside my door, crack addict going through my garbage every goddamn night, and two friends being robbed at gunpoint 5 min after leaving my house. Not counting anything I saw or experienced elsewhere in Oakland, particularly Ghosttown where all my DIY ******* friends live and pretend they're revitalizing a particularly fetid circle of hell, and where a group of unsavory people once mobilized in the middle of the street and tried to pull me off my bike in broad daylight. I've lived in the Soviet residue cluster**** Czech Republic, I've lived in different and not-so-shiny areas of Chicago for 6 years, and I never really witnessed a crime till Oakland.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
Cool story bro

Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,707,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztinzki View Post
Holy God. Isn't the whole hipster thing kind of played out? There are douchebags in every strand of our fine cultural fabric, my friends.

I'm going back to the bay area in the fall, and... **** me, I guess? I'm getting an MFA in music, I'm working but broke, I ride a fixed bike, I wear black, my boyfriend is 70% tattooed. Am I a hipster? I don't care about living somewhere cool or 'edgy'. I don't want to gentrify any poor neighborhoods or alter any cultural landscapes. I just want to live in a place where I feel ok walking/riding around for a few miles, where there's a decent bookstore, and where I'm not paying out the ass for a dingy broom closet *coughSFcough*

Oakland is weird. It's a little like Portland in attitude. 'Quirky.' But some people wear kevlar. And yeah, people are going to make a big deal over the crime because there IS A LOT OF CRIME. SORRY. In the first six months I lived there (on College and Alcatraz, mind you -- arguably the NICEST area of Oakland) I was privy to: three muggings literally right outside my door, crack addict going through my garbage every goddamn night, and two friends being robbed at gunpoint 5 min after leaving my house. Not counting anything I saw or experienced elsewhere in Oakland, particularly Ghosttown where all my DIY ******* friends live and pretend they're revitalizing a particularly fetid circle of hell, and where a group of unsavory people once mobilized in the middle of the street and tried to pull me off my bike in broad daylight. I've lived in the Soviet residue cluster**** Czech Republic, I've lived in different and not-so-shiny areas of Chicago for 6 years, and I never really witnessed a crime till Oakland.
While I'm sorry to hear you experienced crime while living in Oakland,

a) College & Alcatraz is far from being Oakland's nicest area, try the hills above it stretching from Panoramic Hill all the way to Chabot Park
b) **** happens.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM

295 posts, read 460,377 times
Ya College & Alcatraz is by far not one of the nicest areas of the city. I would say solidly middle class and not rare for that area to have street crime. It actually falls within the cities first gang injunction area. Oakland has a number of very beautiful and extremely safe areas. that area also dense and urban. LOVE OAKLAND BABY.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
Ya College & Alcatraz is by far not one of the nicest areas of the city. I would say solidly middle class and not rare for that area to have street crime. It actually falls within the cities first gang injunction area. Oakland has a number of very beautiful and extremely safe areas. that area also dense and urban. LOVE OAKLAND BABY.
Totally agree. Heading over a few blocks west on Alcatraz, and you'll see avery different vibe. Rockridge is one of the nicest, denser areas in Oakland wit good access to transit. Which is why it is high on the list of popular areas.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztinzki View Post

And you still want to move back to the Bay Area...why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland