Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,670 times

Advertisements

Damn it...I just wrote a great response but wasn't registered. Long story short as someone that grew up in the bay and lived there for over 20 years. Use the term if you're from the bay you won't sound like an idiot. It's tourists that use it improperly, not as slang that give it an odd feel. All though I say as I've already written I use 'bay, the city, the bay' more than I use 'Frisco' I still often time through it out with friends from the area...Example of proper use: Yeah man, I'm heading to Frisco for the weekend. Improper use: I just spent a wonderful weekend in Frisco. Remember it's slang so you'll really only hear young people using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,196 times
My Mom, who is a San Fran native, gets seriously ticked off when she hears folks say Frisco. Her explanation is that it's like calling a lady a *****.

Maybe its a generational thing.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
My Mom, who is a San Fran native, gets seriously ticked off when she hears folks say Frisco. Her explanation is that it's like calling a lady a *****.

Maybe its a generational thing.
I agree with your mom, I regard the term with utter disdain, unless of course it is used by a Hells Angel, then I politely agree with him!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 22,670 times
Would definitely agree it's a generational thing. I have people at work that are outraged when I say it and they aren't even from the bay! Tough **** I say!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmddmd View Post
Would definitely agree it's a generational thing. I have people at work that are outraged when I say it and they aren't even from the bay! Tough **** I say!
wow, transplants correcting a native on how to refer to SF, only in CA will you find transplants that full of themselves.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
wow, transplants correcting a native on how to refer to SF, only in CA will you find transplants that full of themselves.
They think that they've "made it" because they can afford the $2000 rent on their 2-bedroom inlaw in Pacific Heights. It's cute.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why do you think they moved there?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
People in the hood always call it 'Frisco'. Hip hop types.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
They think that they've "made it" because they can afford the $2000 rent on their 2-bedroom inlaw in Pacific Heights. It's cute.
Ya know, I'll fess up. I did that when I moved to San Francisco from Oakland back in the late 90s when the dot com money was flowing. I was spending $7500 a month for this very pretentious apartment on Telegraph Hill. Got the little german car and tiny dog and all-I excercised just to be seen and ate those little plates of art. Yes, I was what I thought it meant to be a chic San Franciscan. Now that I think back on that time I cringe in embarrasment and I totally smile when I see all the current wannabes in the Marina and PH.

My parents(immigrants from Tonga)came over and chewed me out when they found out how much I was paying. My dad was like "are you stupid? I didnt put you through college to learn how to waste money"

And then suddenly, I did this. And moved back to The Town(where I was much happier anyway)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ya know, I'll fess up. I did that when I moved to San Francisco from Oakland back in the late 90s when the dot com money was flowing. I was spending $7500 a month for this very pretentious apartment on Telegraph Hill. Got the little german car and tiny dog and all-I excercised just to be seen and ate those little plates of art. Yes, I was what I thought it meant to be a chic San Franciscan. Now that I think back on that time I cringe in embarrasment and I totally smile when I see all the current wannabes in the Marina and PH.

My parents(immigrants from Tonga)came over and chewed me out when they found out how much I was paying. My dad was like "are you stupid?"

And then suddenly, I did this. And moved back to The Town.
LOL. Genuinely. And congrats getting where you are as a second-generation immigrant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland