Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM

79 posts, read 261,655 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m wondering what the commute (via public transit) would be like from Castro/Market Streets in SF to a job that's near the Lake Merritt BART station? Since it appears to be a reverse commute, would it be faster, or are there just as many people heading towards Oakland in the morning?

Also, could you tell me a little about the area around the Lake Merritt BART station? From what I'm heard it sounds relatively industrial, and I’m wondering what’s around there as far as restaurants, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,543,681 times
You will take MUNI light rail from Castro station to Civic Center, then BART to Lake Merritt. It will not be any faster as a reverse commute because you will be on trains, and they go exactly the same speed in either direction. The advantage will be that you will be able to get a seat. Actually the MUNI ride and the BART ride up until Embarcadero will still be in the peak commute direction, it's only the section from there to Oakland that will be "reverse".

The area around the Lake Merritt station is pretty bleak. There's not much right there other than liquor stores and donuts... starting four blocks west on 8th/9th, once you get past Harrison, is Chinatown so I hope you like Chinese food. There is a wider variety of food along Broadway and on 12th/13th/14th between Harrison and Broadway, but at this point we're taking about 15+ minutes walking distance from the BART station.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
There are lots of govt. offices in the vicinity. Some are occupied, some aren't. It isn't my favorite place at night because there isn't much foot traffic after dark. But it is right by the Oakland Museum, which is great. It is a tiny bit sketchy, but far better than the area around Civic Center BART.

The BART ride is about 20-25 minutes from around Civic Center.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,766,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalOrange View Post
Hi, I’m wondering what the commute (via public transit) would be like from Castro/Market Streets in SF to a job that's near the Lake Merritt BART station? Since it appears to be a reverse commute, would it be faster, or are there just as many people heading towards Oakland in the morning?

Also, could you tell me a little about the area around the Lake Merritt BART station? From what I'm heard it sounds relatively industrial, and I’m wondering what’s around there as far as restaurants, etc. Thanks!
if you walk a few blocks into the jack london apt area the chop bar and encuentro are decent dining choices
Encuentro Café & Wine Bar - Oakland, CA

Chop Bar - Oakland, CA

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,142,547 times
That's a very easy commute. I was just in the Castro last night to see Rachel Maddow speak (it rocked). You'd just take the light rail to BART - Civic Center, transfer to BART and that's it. Flip it for the reverse commute.

However, I have not a clue what's around the Lake Merritt station. You can always head to Google Maps, but in the address and search for specific things: coffee houses, restaurants, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:52 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,509,626 times
Laney College is also next to Lake Merritt BART, so there are quite a few pedestrians during school hours, but on nights and weekends it can be a ghost-town. And yea, not alot of food options unless you hoof it to Chinatown.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM

79 posts, read 261,655 times
Thanks for all the info! One other related question -- would it be reasonable (safety-wise) to take a walk/run on the trails around Lake Merritt after work, say in the summer, when it's still light out?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,509,626 times
Oh yea, hundreds do it every evening.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalOrange View Post
Thanks for all the info! One other related question -- would it be reasonable (safety-wise) to take a walk/run on the trails around Lake Merritt after work, say in the summer, when it's still light out?
When its dark, it can feel really dark around the lake. Lots of trees, paths and such. So I like to go during the day time. Too many dark spots on the Lake at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland