U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 PM

771 posts, read 1,119,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Yay! Glad you enjoyed your visit. I agree with your impressions (also coming from Chicago.)

I know what you mean about the architecture. On our first visit my husband and I wound up staying in a top-floor penthouse hotel room with a fabulous view out huge windows... and it was very interesting, but the tall buildings are mostly kind of boring and ugly, compared to Chicago. Admittedly, Chicago has gorgeous skyscrapers, so that's a tough comparison. But walking around SF neighborhoods at street level, the buildings and views are consistently interesting and pretty.

I didn't realize how much less greenery there was until a month after we moved here. Walking around we happened to pass a house which had a little patch of green lawn in the front. We stopped and stared. Look at that! Lawn! Almost forgot what that looked like.
Also howdo you like living there compared to Chicago? I might get the opportunity to work from there for a year or two, which I am considering. My only concern is COL. From what I saw, I would like to live by the Mission District or by Twin Peaks. It would not be permanent just temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,553,856 times
It is good you like Mission District because it happens to be one of the less expensive areas in the City, although still not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Also howdo you like living there compared to Chicago? I might get the opportunity to work from there for a year or two, which I am considering. My only concern is COL. From what I saw, I would like to live by the Mission District or by Twin Peaks. It would not be permanent just temporary.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM

1,585 posts, read 3,179,461 times
Quote:
Agreed. I think those were the only two cons. I am not lying when I say Chicago is much greener and lusher than SF, but I wasn't aware SF didn't get that much precipitation either. With the excepetion of downtown and the industrial areas Chicago has a lot of trees and actually fairly lush, I mean every city has its cons. Chicago is too flat! Withat being said I think both SF and Chicago are the two most beautiful. In terms of natural beauty meshed with a city, SF is prettier. But as a city itself, as stand alone, Chicago is prettier. IMO they are neck in neck.

Call us in February when there's 18 inches of snow coming down and it's 10 below in Chicago, let us know how you like it then

Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 AM

506 posts, read 999,269 times
Quote:
We love it. The biggest improvement is the weather, of course! But I really like the walkability. The city is very casual and friendly, and there's so many interesting places and neat things happening.

The rent is crazy, but it's really a much better work environment for us, so it's worth it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 11,484,809 times
The vegetation in SF is often completely different from other nearby areas. Oakland is way more like Chicago or other midwestern areas, lots of lush oak trees and maple trees, and in the springtime there's a lot of blooming flowers growing all over the place that you NEVER see in SF--stuff like daffodils, lilacs, poppies, etc. SF gets the same level of precipitation but feels barren by comparison--it just has those ugly short ficus trees on the sidewalks, and sometimes some scraggly cherry trees.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM

771 posts, read 1,119,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Call us in February when there's 18 inches of snow coming down and it's 10 below in Chicago, let us know how you like it then
Haha, well I am Chicago raised so I like the winters here, but If Iwere to leave it would be somewhere warmer. And 18 inches and 10 below is rare . I would love to live in SF for a few years, but definitely come back to Chicago, just love my city too much and all my family and friends are here too.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,792,319 times
I agree with the OP that Chicago has even more architecture -- it's a much bigger city, and the urban design is unparalleled. Plus, you have Lake Michigan right there, which makes it look like a beachy but class Miami in the summer. As someone mentioned, SF does have varied architecture, but it's subtle: Edwardian, Victorian, and many other styles from roughly the same connected eras.

Mmostly, SF has the charm of topography, with all the hills and valleys. As for vegetation, the city didn't have much native vegetation when it was settled, so there's actually a heck of a lot more now than originally. The Presidio and Golden Gate Park were planted en masse with all kinds of trees (mostly cypress and eucalyptus) and provide a surprisingly non-natural forested environment for residents looking to escape the urban jungle. My favorite areas, though, are the hillside gardens you can access via public stairs. You'll find all sorts of exotic things growing on Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, etc., often with spectacular views. Plus, we have parrots! And of course, we have palm trees, which Chicago doesn't have.

I don't really notice Oakland's vegetation that much. I don't consider it super midwestern, maybe also due to the eucalyptus, palms, redwoods, and other typically Californian plants scattered throughout the city, but it does have a lot of regular leafy trees. The California oaks are also very different from the midwestern ones, as many of them are evergreen and have very different branchwork and canopies. I think Oakland could be much more vegetated in its urban areas as well, but there, too, people have planted way more trees than were ever there originally, so it's a true urban forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland