U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 15,863 times
Default San Leandro - schools and quality of life?

hello everyone!

We should be relocated soon to California, the office of my husband would be in San Leandro.

We have 2 kids of 5 and 6 years old, and I was wondering how is the quality of life there and if there are any good schools for them!

the other option would be consider S. Francisco....

any suggestions, information and tips... Would be very appreciated!!

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,631,800 times
San Leandro is generally not seen as a very nice area in the East Bay. Just looking at the school scores, they aren't exceptional. Have you looked at Dublin? More expensive, but the schools are excellent, and only a hop away on the 580.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM

16,771 posts, read 10,777,805 times
I think San Leandro is sort of meh. There are some cute homes. Schools arent great. The downtown has lots of potential, but it is also meh. It is a more urban suburb. MEaning things are denser, there is more transit and it is a little more walkable than typical burbs. The problem is that it doesn't really have the benefits of an urban area or a suburban area. The mall is crappy. You don't have lots of walkable neighborhoods with interesting restaurants and places to hang out. And it isn't super safe/crime free. Personally, I'd either live in a place with better schools. Or live in a neighborhood I like more in Oakland and work on my neighborhood schools. The pros/cons list doesn't really work out for San Leandro in my book.

Dublin and Castro Valley are better in terms of school quality and safety. The charm decreases as you head east from San Leandro.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 9,831 times
The only place I would consider in San Leandro would be the north eastern part of town. There are a couple neat restaurants, very walkable, and generally low-crime. The schools may not be the top 1% of the Bay Area, but they certainly aren't bad.

If you live in northern San Leandro, the public school progression is Roosevelt or Washington Elementary, Bancroft Middle School, then San Leandro High School. The high school regularly sends students to some of the top colleges: Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Dartmouth, MIT, Cal Poly, etc. off the top of my head. It's really about what the student puts into their education, they can be very successful at the public schools. Personally I think Roosevelt is a fantastic school that is highly recommended: great teachers, very active parent community, and in a walkable location. They just won a Safe Routes to School award for actively encouraging walking and biking to school.

I would take a look at the areas around Broadmoor Blvd, Glen Drive, and Cary Drive. Broadmoor is right near the Oakland border, but has the nicest houses in town: great neighborhood, tree-lined streets, and low-crime. Another neighborhood I would strongly suggest you check out is the Sheffield Village neighborhood of Oakland. It is right on the border of San Leandro, it is tucked up against the hills in the San Leandro school district. Fantastic community, access to open space, three neighborhood parks, and transit access to BART and Transbay bus service to San Francisco.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Interesting... so San Leandro doesn't seem a good option at all for living!

I'm going to check the cities you mentioned then!

Any other places also on the other side like San Mateo for example?

we are "studying" the area in order to choose a location 30-45 minutes car distance from San Leandro with good schools and a good quality of life for all the family, so any suggestions is super welcome!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM

16,771 posts, read 10,777,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scilly View Post
Interesting... so San Leandro doesn't seem a good option at all for living!

I'm going to check the cities you mentioned then!

Any other places also on the other side like San Mateo for example?

we are "studying" the area in order to choose a location 30-45 minutes car distance from San Leandro with good schools and a good quality of life for all the family, so any suggestions is super welcome!
Budget?

San Leandro is well located. There are tons of choices nearby. Start with Castro Valley and Dublin. CV is adjacent and Dublin is about 6 miles away.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

We are negotiating the budget that why I'm collecting information

So far I heard that schools are 20.000$ per kid and renting is no less than 3.000 $ for a double bedroom

Is it accurate?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 39,827 times
South San Francisco is not really viable for a commute to San Leandro when there are better options in the East Bay. And, the schools are not great there.

If your husband's office will be on the east side of San Leandro (by Highway 580), I would consider the Oakland Hills, Piedmont, Castro Valley and Dublin in terms of nice homes and schools for elementary aged children. Those commutes will be really doable.

If the office is on the west side of San Leandro (by Highway 880), I would add Alameda and Fremont.

Best of luck.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM

945 posts, read 1,186,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scilly View Post
We are negotiating the budget that why I'm collecting information

So far I heard that schools are 20.000$ per kid and renting is no less than 3.000 $ for a double bedroom

Is it accurate?
what is your budget for housing ?
do you prefer private or public school?
urban or more suburban area?
Is BART desired?

this info would allow us to supply more detailed advise.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,418,931 times
San Mateo County is super expensive. San Leandro is pretty dumpy but it's close to a lot of East Bay burbs with good schools.

Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Ramon, Fremont, etc. Maybe Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. Start with those burbs.

Use this to check out good school districts:

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland