Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 22,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah, but it's Oaklanders in this thread trying to trash Atlanta, when John's Creek gives much better bang for the buck than any place in Oakland. It's funny that Oaklanders are the first to trash a place they've never been before, but also the first to accuse others of not "experiencing the REAL Oakland" when people say negative things about their "fine" city.
You're an obvious troll and nobody should take you serious. Why don't you go create more handles so you can flood the board with your anti Oakland obsession. You have a mental illness and need to seek help. LOL @ johns creek have you even been to the city of Atlanta? What about the "Suburbs" of College Park, Decatur, East Point. Why aren't you talking about those suburbs of Atlanta. Yeah thought so. You're comparing a suburban city to a major city. You are a joke.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Why is it sad? Oakland was actually a desirable city to live in prior to the influx of working class blacks. In the 60's and thereafter, though, those very people made Oakland the depressed, violent place it has been for decades since, as they have Richmond, BV/HP and EPA.

Sorry for being politically incorrect but just calling it as I've read it.

Just think of what Palo Alto would have been like if those evil realtors hadn't segregated it. *shudder* It's reasonably arguable that EPA in all its hopeless violence would've just been... PA. Where would high-tech be now? Would there be a Silicon Valley at all?
Are you for real?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
So Walnut Creek is a suburb of San Francisco, despite being geographically closer to Oakland. Yet Oakland is a city unto itself. Not a suburb of San Francisco. Oakland sits between San Francisco and its subsequent Walnut Creek suburb. Im scratching my head here. so what is a suburb of Oakland? Berkeley? Castro Valley? Or does Oakland have no suburbs? im very confused Doc. I think this argument my be cause to get you a refund on your doctorate from wherever you got it from because clearly logic eludes you good sir.
My "doctorate" has paid for itself 50x fold, so I have no need for a refund, that would be greedy.

I can see this is a serious discussion for you and you've been personally insulted by something on the internet, don't worry, I meant no offense. You can call it a suburb of any city you want. The burning cars though are located in Oakland not in Johns Creek or Atlanta proper, so it's funny to see people from Oakland trash Atlanta as some crime filled city when their city is the one torching cop cars for all to see.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM

295 posts, read 461,243 times
Your doctorate is from where? I am not at all offended nor have I said anything negative about Atlanta in any of my previous posts. Having been there a very large number of times, as i have family there and have been to the University there several times, I have never said Atlanta is a crime ridden city. As far as this discussion goes, Im apparently a much more logical and rational being than yourself and prefer clarification backed by solid fact and real life personal data. both social and statistical. I know the statistical data of Oakland and, as I live here and you do not, find that date to be true for small sections of the city. in other words saying all of Oakland is crime infested is tantamount to saying all white people are communist basing my argument on the fact that communism was born in Europe as the brainchild of a white culture. This of course is not true. So while you state that a burning car in Oakland is reasonable proof that the city is a cesspool yet ignore the testimony from its actual citizenry with real life experience it renders your conclusion purely speculative at best. By this same logic i could render the conclusion that Seattle is a crime infested riot filled hell hole based purely on a few small incidents plucked from the news. A) the DC sniper was from Seattle B) The shooting death of a police officer in his squad car in Seattle C) The events of yesterday where rioters in downtown Seattle destroyed storefronts and lit fires. This same selective logic can be used for any city in the country. I has taught not to use that logic however I am clearly not as well learned as yourself so perhaps this rational form of logic that uses data as well as personal experience to determine truth is no longer a valid form of deductive science.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
Your doctorate is from where? I am not at all offended nor have I said anything negative about Atlanta in any of my previous posts. Having been there a very large number of times, as i have family there and have been to the University there several times, I have never said Atlanta is a crime ridden city. As far as this discussion goes, Im apparently a much more logical and rational being than yourself and prefer clarification backed by solid fact and real life personal data. both social and statistical. I know the statistical data of Oakland and, as I live here and you do not, find that date to be true for small sections of the city. in other words saying all of Oakland is crime infested is tantamount to saying all white people are communist basing my argument on the fact that communism was born in Europe as the brainchild of a white culture. This of course is not true. So while you state that a burning car in Oakland is reasonable proof that the city is a cesspool yet ignore the testimony from its actual citizenry with real life experience it renders your conclusion purely speculative at best. By this same logic i could render the conclusion that Seattle is a crime infested riot filled hell hole based purely on a few small incidents plucked from the news. A) the DC sniper was from Seattle B) The shooting death of a police officer in his squad car in Seattle C) The events of yesterday where rioters in downtown Seattle destroyed storefronts and lit fires. This same selective logic can be used for any city in the country. I has taught not to use that logic however I am clearly not as well learned as yourself so perhaps this rational form of logic that uses data as well as personal experience to determine truth is no longer a valid form of deductive science.
I never said you personally said anything negative about Atlanta, so I'm not sure why you think I'm singling you out specifically.

But I find it funny that people will trash Atlanta, calling it "hot, sketchy, muggy" or "the city that got burned down during the Civil War", and find it funny that black people would move there, especially when Oakland has plenty of negatives in comparison.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Nashville, TN is 28% black, and its one of the whitest cities in the South. Its almost sad how fast the black population has left Oakland.

GENTRIFICATION WOOHOOO
It's going to be another Fillmore.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Fillmore East or Fillmore West? Did the Dead play there?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Speaking of which, I walked up Divisadero from Haight to Post today. Saw less than 10 black people on the whole trip. Lower Haight, on the other hand, almost looked like Fillmore did 15 years ago.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM

7 posts, read 20,230 times
Good info. If Oakland had a mayor, the place could really turn things around-it's really prime real estate. But no, Oakland being Oakland-Jean Dumb is "running" the show.

This reactionary idiot moves all the cops(that are left) down to International & what do you know-the only people with decent money in the hills are getting their front doors kicked in-in broad daylight.

Quan has to be dumber than a GD brick.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Let's not forget that there are numerous pending lawsuits against the Oakland Police for what happened last year during the riots when they shot rubber bullets, and tear gas into a fairly peaceful protest on Jean Quan's orders. An pregnant women literally got thrown onto the ground by these thugs.

Oakland has paid out over $60,000,000 in settlement related expenses the past 10 years because of OPD. How many cops could they have hired with that money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland