Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,582 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to rent my 4BR/4BA house for about 3 months now. I've been slowly dropping the price but have not found a renter yet. The location is near St. Francis Woods so its not in the hot Mission/Noe Valley areas. I've been dying to ask those that I have shown the house what their candid feedback is on the house but I don't think I'd get a honest answer for fear of insulting me

I get plenty of calls, and have shown the house about 20 times. The obvious answer is the price is too high but its priced at the same level as 3BR houses in the neighborhood. The other issue could be the presentation so I hired a leasing agent to show the house.

Is there anything I'm missing? Maybe I should stage the house? thx!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/leej23/miraloma/house.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 AM

677 posts, read 835,448 times
Is this a serious post? If that's really your house, it is obviously beautiful, with awesome views, and looks to be recently renovated. How much are you asking in rent? Maybe it is too high?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
High end properties are very difficult to rent because anyone that can afford to rent something so nice (and large), can normally afford to just buy.

Craigslist may not be your best bet in this case, imo. You might want to contact a real estate agent in an area like Woodside, Palo Alto, Hillborough, etc. so you can appeal more to wealthy people renters that may just be working in the area for short term.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM

109 posts, read 300,059 times
scammer, it seems to me. i bet he wants people to PM him and then he will proceed to scam them with the "great deal", either showing them a house that isnt his to rent, requesting up front payment, etc.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
scammer, it seems to me. i bet he wants people to PM him and then he will proceed to scam them with the "great deal", either showing them a house that isnt his to rent, requesting up front payment, etc.

Looks like it's this one: ♛ Modern 4BR/4BA Views, 30+Windows, Hardwood, Studio Apartment ♛ (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2962766579.html - broken link)

Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM

109 posts, read 300,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Looks like it's this one: ♛ Modern 4BR/4BA Views, 30+Windows, Hardwood, Studio Apartment ♛ (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2962766579.html - broken link)
Oops... you are right... legit post then

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Price fixes everything.

If you're asking for anything north of $10,000 a month, you're going to be waiting a very long time.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,582 times
Definitely not a scammer post, I am the owner of this house and was looking for candid feedback from a renter's perspective. I didn't include any links to the ad because I wasn't looking to rent the home to anyone here, just get their opinions.

I believe it to be priced competitively because it is in the same price range as 3BRs in the same neighborhood, and mine is a 4BR. The price is $4700, not unreasonable when 2BRs in the city go for $3000 or so. I'll consider another price drop, but was just looking to see if anyone saw something obvious that I'm missing.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
I would guess it is primarily due to location, which is inconvenient for getting around the city and suburban in feel. So that would rule out a group of college students who might band together and share a house. And a visiting executive who is moving his family to SF for a year or two is going to want to live in a more interesting part of the city. Also, there's a lot of fog out there. This the type of place someone would buy to raise a family, or rent because it is a really good deal.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Price fixes everything.

If you're asking for anything north of $10,000 a month, you're going to be waiting a very long time.
From the Craigslist ad, it looks like he's asking for $4,700. (<-- edit: confirmed above)

I think clongirl said it best: People that can afford to spend that much in rent probably have enough saved to just buy (especially if they're looking for a house), so I imagine that's one of the main issues. Location could be an issue too, since it's further away from the "happening" areas of the City, but I know it's still a really nice neighborhood. Then again, since it's more suburban, it would probably be attracting well-off families, which (again) probably would be more interested in buying than renting.

That being said, there are definitely people who are looking to live in the Bay Area for a short amount of time (months to a few years), and aren't interested in buying for a variety of reasons. I have a friend who owns a condo in Infinity Towers and he now rents it out since he recently moved to LA for a new job. The person he's renting to is paying ~5,500 a month for the 2Br/2Ba condo...This house is comparatively a steal.

Maybe Craigslist just isn't the best place to move such a high end place like that? My friend with the Infinity Towers condo hired someone to find him a good and qualified tenant, and he did little work himself (not sure how much that cost him, though). The house your advertising looks awesome, but maybe you're just not attracting the attention of the type of people that would be interested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland