Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

On the renting out the place suggestion: how nice is your Santa Barbara place? Any chance you could turn it into a vacation rental? That would also involve a management company or person, and wouldn't be guaranteed income like a rental, but given that you're in an upscale vacation destination, you could make enough money to make it worth your while. Rent it out by the week or the month to people looking for something else other than a hotel (on a site like VRBO or the like) and who are in town for the winter, to visit family, do stuff at the university, etc. Might be worth investigating, anyway; seems better to do that (or rent it out long-term) than wreck your credit if you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM

121 posts, read 209,975 times
What would you guys say landlords consider to be good credit vs average credit?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM

140 posts, read 436,383 times
Ok, landlord here. Dealt with many offers of bribes, etc, in last few years offered full years rent in advance in exchange for ignoring former eviction on credit report, lower monthly rent, 180 day non-pmt on car loan, etc. Nope, bribes don't work for me. I would rather rent to someone either with good credit or fresh out of college with good jobs, no credit yet, but cash up front means nothing to me.

But, short sales are a recent explainable phenomenon & communication is key. A short sale is extremely common these days, and if that is the only thing on your credit report, I would say it is a minor blemish and just poor timing for investments made 2004-2006. Write up a note explaining the situation. This is an exception many landlords will understand these days and will not hold against you at all.

Good credit is 725+ with no more than 1 entry of a 30 day late on credit report. Average credit is less than 725. I'm not sure the rating drop for a short sale, but if nothing else on the credit report, I would disregard the blemish for the most part. Our lenders are saying that they are dropping the derogatory on credit reports for short sales after just 2-4 years, so that is much better than the 7 year blemish for a late pmt, or 10 years for a bankruptcy.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I have pretty bad credit.

Cash talks; it really does. Both places I rented in SF told me that my credit wasn't good enough; I had a stable job that paid enough to keep chugging forward, but not enough to keep chugging forward while paying down my debt. They were very understanding after I was willing to throw down an extra deposit.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
bankruptcy comes off in seven years.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 AM

121 posts, read 209,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Cash talks; it really does. Both places I rented in SF told me that my credit wasn't good enough; I had a stable job that paid enough to keep chugging forward, but not enough to keep chugging forward while paying down my debt. They were very understanding after I was willing to throw down an extra deposit.
Just curious, was this recent or a while ago?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I know The Fillmore Center will rent to people with poor credit, for an extra deposit. Don't know how you feel about a huge complex in a somewhat-dodgy area, but it's an option.

(LOL at that website. They don't even know where their own complex is. )
When did they move the Fillmore Center to Cow Hollow?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
Just curious, was this recent or a while ago?
About a year and a half ago.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
When did they move the Fillmore Center to Cow Hollow?
I know! Isn't that ridiculous? You'd think whoever did their website would actually check to see that they got the location right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland