Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Interesting, like I said, I stopped watching them around 2005-2006 when Baron Davis was ready to pack up and leave.

If they are getting interest and people like them now, why would they leave Oakland then? That seems contrary to your point.
BD was traded to the Warriors in '05 and opted out of his contract after the 07-08 season ... I know it felt like it was such along time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao;24193645[B
]i would be interested in hearing what SF and oakland were like in the early 60s.

I assume that SF has always been snobby to Oakland[/b] but history is interesting to here. What was Oakland like the early 60s? What was by the Coliseum before they build it?
There have been documentaries made about this. One I can always think of was on HBO a while back. It was about baseball and football, teams, fans and the two cities. One thing you quickly got the gist of was SF's superior attitude toward Oakland. The rivalry between the two cities goes much further back than this as well. Even Jack London Square and the port area were designed not to look like SF's.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
The Cow Palace is hidden in a residential neighborhood, far and barely visible from the freeway compared to the Coliseum.

Furthermore, the Warriors are always in the annual top 10 as far as home attendance even though they royally suck year in, year out----and now they show their gratitude by thumbing their noses at the fans who have made them profitable the teams flaws notwithstanding.

Give me a break.

Oracle Arena is a great venue, has undergone numerous renovations and is one of the most easily accessible nba venues in the country, but more importantly, is packed to at or near capacity almost always....even though the team SUCKS.

That cant be overstated enough. We've shown our loyalty, now the team should do the same.

I wont hold my breath.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Oracle is a mediocre venue overall IMO. Good location but narrow hallways and the roof slopes down so you can't even fully see the jumbotron from some angles in the upper decks.

The team's value would instantly jump if they moved to SF though, so that is probably why the owners would want to move them. I'm sure they would love to create a Staples Center north in SF. Probably a lot of the fans that have supported the Dubs through thick and thin would be priced out of a new SF arena, but what else would one expect in the Bay Area?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
It seems like they should be in San Francisco. More well known city, near many tourist destinations, probably would have a nice waterfront stadium. I do not understand.
They were in The City.

Back in the days of cars with big tail fins, Oakland built the current complex and wooed the Warriors away (and gave the As and Raiders new homes as well).

Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,487 times
Clearly GSW ownership is seeking a new arena be it in Oakland or SF. But I'm willing to bet that their first choice would be SF at the embarcedero if they could reach a deal.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Well, I agree with the general sentiment that if they moved to S.F, they would be a lot more profitable. S.F is just a bigger "stage" than Oakland is. Add that to a water front stadium near areas built for tourism, and it could make for a winning formula.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM

197 posts, read 667,495 times
The W's played in the Cow Palace after moving out West. If you've ever been to the Cow Palace, you know why that was only used as a temporary arena. SF does not have an arena that meets NBA standards (the standards of the 60's-70's or now) and have not bothered to build one.

Agree on watching the HBO documentary about Oakland. Oakland was trying to become a higher profile city and courted sports teams in the 60's. The coliseum & arena were built to attract sports teams. Teams were successful on the field/court in the 70's, but that's about it.

A new arena will bring in new revenue and new fans who will pay more for tickets. Also should get another all star game/festivities for the trouble. Odds are the W's will move to SF or SJ eventually but usually these kinds of things don't happen overnight. The SF Giants were looking for a replacement for Candlestick park for more than a decade before moving to ATT Park.

Quote:
It seems like they should be in San Francisco. More well known city, near many tourist destinations, probably would have a nice waterfront stadium. I do not understand.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
Teams were successful on the field/court in the 70's, but that's about
The A's were very successful in the late 80's/ early 90's making it to the World Series three times and winning one against the SF Midgets on the other side of the Bay. The A's have had plenty of good years outside the 70's.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:
A waterfront stadium would be a great addition to our waterfront.
I go to basketball games for the view of the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland