U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM

7,282 posts, read 5,833,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I cant wait to see how yuppy and pretentious this new crowd at the new arena will be, but they got money so here comes Staples Center North minus a good team.
Trade those hot dogs and beers for caviar and chardonnay. After you pay $120 for that nosebleed seat.

(Oh wait are we talking about the new Niners stadium, or the Warriors arena? Oh well, same difference.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

15,810 posts, read 9,830,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
But you've never been to Detroit?

Hmm, interesting. Isn't this the angle that a lot of Oaklanders claim about "outsiders" with regards to Oakland so disdainfully, and why their opinions don't count? Because they don't even live in Oakland. Seems like a double standard, but continue talking and making judgements about a city you've never been to based solely on third party opinion.
I qualified my statement at the beginning. For whatever reason over the past couple years I have met a dozen people from different parts of Detroit, and I quizzed them on it. Oh since Detroit is so "trendy" for the green movement, urban renewal and urban farming, I have seen dozens of articles on what is happening over there, based on those perspectives. And this is how I formed my opinion. If I would have stuck with one of my friends opinions, I would have said it was the worst place on earth, as that was his experience. Luckily I got some broader experiences from other friends and acquaintances.

Feet on the street perspectives are equally valid and relevant to forming an opinion of an area. Many of the commenters on Oakland only use one or 2 sources: the nightly news (obviously biased) and a visit to the airport. Not enough sources in my book. And typical Oakland bashers decide anyones experience that is contrary to their view doesn't count or exist. And they don't qualify their statement before starting to confirm that they have spent little time there.

Detroit, like Oakland gets defined by the bad parts of town. And people don't seem to want to believe the city's identity is more multi-faceted than that. In fact it is a lot like racism in the US. Every person of color is supposed to be representative of everyone from that group. But the average white person is taken as an individual, since there are other types of white people that might be different.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,545,406 times
Oakland Boosters Club: "Don't talk about our cities state topping violent crime rate, and 100+ homicides. You don't even live in Oakland. You have to live here to understand the culture, the intricacy between neighborhoods, and realize that there is a lot of development, especially with our artist community. Don't judge us! You must dislike black people."

Oakland Boosters Club on Detroit: "I've never been to Detroit, but the city is a sh*thole with large parts devoid of investment and resources that leaves you hopeless and forlorn... my friend's third cousin's niece told me so."

Oakland Boosters Club on SF Warriors: "Yuppies and rich people eating caviar and chardonnay while looking over their stock portfolios rather than watching the game."

I love the credibility implications here.

10,129 posts, read 12,788,243 times
Quote:
because the team isn't in Oakland, the "new crowd" is going to be only yuppies and pretentious rich people?

Wow, the Oakland boosters club is out in full force.
Please stop continuing making up things I never said, I get tired of having to correct your lies. I never said it was going to be "only" yuppies and pretentious people. But yes I do believe the characteristics of the crowd will change overall just liked they did when the Giants moved to Pac Bell.

Quote:
because the team isn't in Oakland, the "new crowd" is going to be only yuppies and pretentious rich people?

Wow, the Oakland boosters club is out in full force.
Well, based on current trends, new arenas/stadiums go heavy on the luxury boxes and low on the normal seats. And they up the prices 20%-40%. So it is fair to assume the crowd will change.

It isn't SF bashing or Oakland bashing. But one of the primary reasons sports teams move is because they want to raise prices (not because they want to create a better product).

Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM

10,129 posts, read 12,788,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Trade those hot dogs and beers for caviar and chardonnay. After you pay $120 for that nosebleed seat.

(Oh wait are we talking about the new Niners stadium, or the Warriors arena? Oh well, same difference.)
I've never actually seen a Wine only kiosk at a baseball stadium or any professional sports facility except at Pac Bell. It's hilarious seeing baseball fans sipping on little plastic cups of wine.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Oakland Boosters Club: "Don't talk about our cities state topping violent crime rate, and 100+ homicides. You don't even live in Oakland. You have to live here to understand the culture, the intricacy between neighborhoods, and realize that there is a lot of development, especially with our artist community. Don't judge us! You must dislike black people."

Oakland Boosters Club on Detroit: "I've never been to Detroit, but the city is a sh*thole with large parts devoid of investment and resources that leaves you hopeless and forlorn... my friend's third cousin's niece told me so."

I love the credibility implications here.
I never said Detroit was 100% horrible. You are mistaken. I said the bad parts are worse than Oakland's equivalents (**source, a friend from the hood in Detroit who lived in a crappy Oakland neighborhood). And obviously you didn't keep reading as I also mentioned that Detroit has nice stuff too.....work on your reading comprehension.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM

7,282 posts, read 5,833,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Many of the commenters on Oakland only use one or 2 sources: the nightly news (obviously biased) and a visit to the airport.
Or what they see from the freeway. We seem to get a lot of those in here.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

1,157 posts, read 768,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I qualified my statement at the beginning. For whatever reason over the past couple years I have met a dozen people from different parts of Detroit, and I quizzed them on it. Oh since Detroit is so "trendy" for the green movement, urban renewal and urban farming, I have seen dozens of articles on what is happening over there, based on those perspectives. And this is how I formed my opinion. If I would have stuck with one of my friends opinions, I would have said it was the worst place on earth, as that was his experience. Luckily I got some broader experiences from other friends and acquaintances.

Feet on the street perspectives are equally valid and relevant to forming an opinion of an area. Many of the commenters on Oakland only use one or 2 sources: the nightly news (obviously biased) and a visit to the airport. Not enough sources in my book. And typical Oakland bashers decide anyones experience that is contrary to their view doesn't count or exist. And they don't qualify their statement before starting to confirm that they have spent little time there.

Detroit, like Oakland gets defined by the bad parts of town. And people don't seem to want to believe the city's identity is more multi-faceted than that. In fact it is a lot like racism in the US. Every person of color is supposed to be representative of everyone from that group. But the average white person is taken as an individual, since there are other types of white people that might be different.
That's still a mouthful to say about a place that you have never been to before.

Oh by the way you didn't clarify how some towns are more of a die hard football town while others (bay area) do not take football as seriously. How did you manage to gather all your information for all 32 football towns? Still curious.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,545,406 times
I think any complaint from now on from the Oakland boosters club about how people perceive their city should be redirected to this thread, specifically about Oakland boosters and their opinions on Detroit and the SF sports crowd. It's deliciously ironic, and I love seeing people eating their own foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland