U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,196,722 times
Your 94 and 95 figures are wrong.

1994: Giants - 21,045, A's - 21,802
1995: Giants - 15,327, A's - 16,310

Oakland Athletics Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac
San Francisco Giants Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

Typical current day Giants fan, you don't care about your teams history. Gee what great fans! Of course why would you when you don't have much to be proud of like getting dominated and swept by us in 89. That's nice that you started following baseball in 1993 but that doesn't mean you get to decide when the timeline for looking at attendance starts.

FACT: The A's averaged more fans from 1968-1999 than the the Giants! Which truly is pathetic considering they've been in the Bay Area longer, are the team of the Norther CA's premier city, and have had a larger fan base and reach.

Oh yeah Giants fans are so loyal and great which is why there attendance INSTANTLY grew by a million+ per year after Pac Bell. Where the hell were all those fans before? Pre-Pac Bell you have NOTHING to brag about! Not on the field or in the stands.

It's not just the stadium either, it's the ownership and management as well and if you actually followed baseball you should know that. A's fans have been jerked around for years and they hate the owners and get pissed when they always trade away or let our good players go. This has been a dark period for the A's.

Quit pretending it's always been like this because it hasn't. I get so sick of how short people's memories are. Teams go through good and bad periods and the A's have been in a bad one for years with this crappy ownership. Why do think the Giants are scared sh*tless of the A's getting a new ball park in SJ? BEcause they know many of those that fill Pac Bell now will jump ship.

Last edited by sav858; 05-23-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,171,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
you're gona tell me fans aren't showing up to support the A's this season because the stadium sucks? A's are playing great and yet they get no support.
A great many A's fans refuse to support the current ownership, who want nothing to do with Oakland. That doesn't sit well with diehard fans. Raiders lost a lot of Oakland fans for the same reason when they bailed to L.A. (Same with many Earthquakes fans when AEG moved them to Houston).

There has been at least as much uproar from Niners fans about their move out of their city as that from Warriors fans. One just happens to be the explosive reaction of the moment. Have we forgotten about decades-long Niners season ticket holders' reactions to their seats going up to $80,000 in the new Santa Clara stadium? That gripe ain't going away, it's just overshadowed by the present arena proposal backlash.

Fans demand loyalty. In many cases they're not getting it. Their mate appears to be rolling in the hay with another, and they're not happy about it. As paying customers that are pissed, they should say something about it.

Speaking of loyalty, wonder why the Giants are so deathly afraid of their fanbase disappearing if the A's bulid a stadium in SJ?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 PM

2,836 posts, read 2,214,865 times
expect, you can pick up your ball and go home. you're really just embarrassing yourself at this point

Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,576,608 times
i was using sports-reference.com- and 1994 is the only years attendance data is off between the 2 sites. -kanye shrug

secondly, you guys can't be serious and think the giants are cck blocking the a's from SJ because they're gona lose fans.. a big reason is corporate sponsorship, arguably the biggest reason. there are no fans that are going to suddenly say "omg i am now an A's fan!" did a's fan suddenly become giants fans because of a new arena?
did giants fans jump ship when the coliseum was built (coliseum being a newer stadium than candlestick)?
plus what percentage of fans in at&t park are actually commuting an hour + each game from san jose?
even if you get the 94-95 strike year a's attendance as higher, thats still 6/7 years there were more ppl in candlestick than in the coliseum.
i dont care what happened in 1966. i wasnt born yet. like arguing how great the warriors franchise is because they won titles in the 60s and 70s. who cares? unless you're an old man then argue about what happened in 1967 all you want.

and i dont buy that crap about the beef being with management and thats why they dont go to the games. you think warriors fans LOVED chris cohan? chris cohan is the most hated man in the history of bay area sports franchise owners. period. he did absolutely nothing but drive this team into the ground. no owner before or since has done more damage to a franchise than CHRIS COHAN. he was hated and despised by fans and yet they still attended games. and he owned the team for 20 YEARS.
this new ownership has owned the A's for what, 6-7 years? that may explain the last 6/7 seasons of garbage attendance. how do you explain the time from 1993 to 2005?
oakland fans stopped caring when the bash brothers left. they got a lil excited for 2-3 years in the early 2000's and then it was back to not caring.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
expect, you can pick up your ball and go home. you're really just embarrassing yourself at this point
how can i embarrass myself in front of anonymous posters whose opinions about how i 'appear' means nothing to me? i dont care about what people that know me think about me, but i'm supposed to be sitting here thinking "omg the guy that replaces letters with numbers in his online screen name thinks this of me. woe is me!"

lol you're from oakland. you lose by default, princess.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
you think warriors fans LOVED chris cohan? chris cohan is the most hated man in the history of bay area sports franchise owners. period. he did absolutely nothing but drive this team into the ground. no owner before or since has done more damage to a franchise than CHRIS COHAN. he was hated and despised by fans and yet they still attended games. and he owned the team for 20 YEARS.
this new ownership has owned the A's for what, 6-7 years? that may explain the last 6/7 seasons of garbage attendance. how do you explain the time from 1993 to 2005?
oakland fans stopped caring when the bash brothers left. they got a lil excited for 2-3 years in the early 2000's and then it was back to not caring.
That's why Warriors fans are often referred to as among the most fiercely loyal in all of American sports. They hated Cohan, but still went to the games because they loved basketball so much, and it was the only game in town. They play way fewer games per year, in a place that holds way less people than the A's.

Fans of the A's watched as their ownership appeared to sit on their hands while the SF team spent money hand over fist to improve their situation, featuring a record-setting homerun hitter, awesome new stadium, great pitching staff, and a resulting championship. Meanwhile, Lew Wolff wants out of Oakland, and continues getting stymied by the Giants, Bud Selig, and MLB. Ball team in purgatory, fans' patience wearing thin.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM

24,848 posts, read 31,279,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Your 94 and 95 figures are wrong.

1994: Giants - 21,045, A's - 21,802
1995: Giants - 15,327, A's - 16,310

Oakland Athletics Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac
San Francisco Giants Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

Typical current day Giants fan, you don't care about your teams history. Gee what great fans! Of course why would you when you don't have much to be proud of like getting dominated and swept by us in 89. That's nice that you started following baseball in 1993 but that doesn't mean you get to decide when the timeline for looking at attendance starts.

FACT: The A's averaged more fans from 1968-1999 than the the Giants! Which truly is pathetic considering they've been in the Bay Area longer, are the team of the Norther CA's premier city, and have had a larger fan base and reach.

Oh yeah Giants fans are so loyal and great which is why there attendance INSTANTLY grew by a million+ per year after Pac Bell. Where the hell were all those fans before? Pre-Pac Bell you have NOTHING to brag about! Not on the field or in the stands.

It's not just the stadium either, it's the ownership and management as well and if you actually followed baseball you should know that. A's fans have been jerked around for years and they hate the owners and get pissed when they always trade away or let our good players go. This has been a dark period for the A's.

Quit pretending it's always been like this because it hasn't. I get so sick of how short people's memories are. Teams go through good and bad periods and the A's have been in a bad one for years with this crappy ownership. Why do think the Giants are scared sh*tless of the A's getting a new ball park in SJ? BEcause they know many of those that fill Pac Bell now will jump ship.
Yep, Santa Clara County is 40% of the Giants fan base according to Giants CEO Larry Baer, that's a bit higher than SF itself.

Even the wine-sipping, brie munching johnny-come-latelys at Pac Bell are primarily South Bay and Peninsula people and a good number of them would jump ship if SJ had its own team.

Poor Palo Altoans wouldnt know what to do with themselves. lol

Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
i dont care about what people that know me think about me
Unsolicited TMI...gotta love it!
Wonder how this plays out at the dinner table during the holidays?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,196,722 times
Quote:
i was using sports-reference.com- and 1994 is the only years attendance data is off between the 2 sites. -kanye shrug

secondly, you guys can't be serious and think the giants are cck blocking the a's from SJ because they're gona lose fans.. a big reason is corporate sponsorship, arguably the biggest reason. there are no fans that are going to suddenly say "omg i am now an A's fan!" did a's fan suddenly become giants fans because of a new arena?
did giants fans jump ship when the coliseum was built (coliseum being a newer stadium than candlestick)?
plus what percentage of fans in at&t park are actually commuting an hour + each game from san jose?
even if you get the 94-95 strike year a's attendance as higher, thats still 6/7 years there were more ppl in candlestick than in the coliseum.
i dont care what happened in 1966. i wasnt born yet. like arguing how great the warriors franchise is because they won titles in the 60s and 70s. who cares? unless you're an old man then argue about what happened in 1967 all you want.

and i dont buy that crap about the beef being with management and thats why they dont go to the games. you think warriors fans LOVED chris cohan? chris cohan is the most hated man in the history of bay area sports franchise owners. period. he did absolutely nothing but drive this team into the ground. no owner before or since has done more damage to a franchise than CHRIS COHAN. he was hated and despised by fans and yet they still attended games. and he owned the team for 20 YEARS.
YOu seriously have no clue what you are talking about.

Yes many casual A's fans did start going to Giants games, where the hell did you think those extra 1million+ fans came from?????

And YES GIANTS FANS DID JUMP SHIP WHEN THE COLISEUM WAS OPENED! Look at the links I posted. Why do you think all but one of their times they exceeded the NL attendance average before Pac Bell was before the A's arrived in town.

Giants Attendance:
1965: 19,087
1966: 20,459
1967: 15,399
1968: 10,336
1969: 10,785
1970: 9,415
1971: 13,564
1972: 7,997
1973: 10,299
1974: 6,420
and so on....

GIANTS ATTENDANCE DROPED BY HALF AFTER THE A'S CAME TO TOWN!

So apparently no one in SJ goes to baseball games? Oakland and just as far and even more difficult to get to. Caltrain, which goes down to SJ, drops you right off in front of the stadium. You clearly know very little or are in denial about how Bay Area baseball fans operate if you don't think the Giants are scared of what a new ballpark in SJ or anywhere in the bay will do. SJ is the only place they can stop it though.

Now lets think really hard about the difference between the Warriors and baseball. I'll make it simple:

Bay Area = one NBA basketball team
Bay Area = TWO MLB teams

Do I really need to explain the differences now or do you get it yet? Re-read Bigdumbgod's post as he spelled it out well.

Like I said, I don't give a crap about when you decided to start paying attention to baseball, or that you don't care about the history of either club. But I'm not gonna sit here you and let you cherry pick the years the Giants did better at Candlestick.

FACT: A's outdrew the Giants overall from 1968-1999
FACT: Giants attendance dropped by HALF when the A's came to town.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM

wait... you're spending all this time arguing about how 'casual' and flaky Giants fans are, then in the same sentence admit to the A's doing the same thing? how exactly are you making an argument for one fanbase over the other?

and the answer for the warriors is that the warriors are a 'bay area' team- the a's are mainly an oakland team, much like the raiders. and thats exactly who packs oracle on a nightly basis, bay area fans as a whole. the a's are more indicative of oakland fans specifically.

i personally like both a's and the giants. giants are my team but i won't root against the a's on principle like i do with the raiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland