Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 34,296 times

Advertisements

I’ve been pouring over this forum for a few weeks and now that things are moving forward at an accelerated pace, I would love any input anyone has regarding my situation.

Employment relocating to Financial District in San Francisco. After doing some searching (love that Padmappper site) realized all the advice is correct, I think I need to focus on the East Bay. It's been suggested to me that Fremont, Hayward, Newark, Union City, Walnut Creek and Concord are good possibilities. Specifics: 50 yo woman with 16yo athletic son, so my 1st priority is a very GOOD high school. 2 bedroom (1300 to 1500 a month), SAFE neighborhood (need somewhere to jog/walk on a regular basis), close to BART and a Pacific Islander presence would be a nice perk (just need a VERY diverse mix as it's what we are used to and most comfortable with). I'm pretty spoiled weather wise as I come from the Carmel area so I'm afraid to go too far inland (I really HATE the heat!). We aren't interested in an urban setting, we are pretty small town so anything with a small town feel would be great (and alot to ask I know). Did I mention safety is a priority?

It was also suggested that Albany & El Cerrito (further north I realize but I'm trying to keep all my options open) may have a better high school environment than the other towns listed. My son's current highschool has 600 students total (yes, I live in a very quiet small town) and he'll be starting his junior year. I'm trying to make this transition as painless as possible (realistically it's going to be a HUGE change for both of us). Thank you all for any suggestions you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
greatschools.org

Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times
I hear Alameda has a good High School.
Apart from proximity to the BART, Alameda would fit all your other criteria.

I spent the day in Alameda with my family at the weekend. Just for general 'family friendliness' and diversity and things to do I don't think you can go wrong with Alameda. It feel very, very safe. Tons of families out this weekend in the parks and on the beach. (IMO the best, most useable beach in the Bay area).

Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadust View Post

Employment relocating to Financial District in San Francisco. After doing some searching (love that Padmappper site) realized all the advice is correct, I think I need to focus on the East Bay. It's been suggested to me that Fremont, Hayward, Newark, Union City, Walnut Creek and Concord are good possibilities. Specifics: 50 yo woman with 16yo athletic son, so my 1st priority is a very GOOD high school. 2 bedroom (1300 to 1500 a month), SAFE neighborhood (need somewhere to jog/walk on a regular basis), close to BART and a Pacific Islander presence would be a nice perk (just need a VERY diverse mix as it's what we are used to and most comfortable with). I'm pretty spoiled weather wise as I come from the Carmel area so I'm afraid to go too far inland (I really HATE the heat!). We aren't interested in an urban setting, we are pretty small town so anything with a small town feel would be great (and alot to ask I know). Did I mention safety is a priority?

Access to Bart + Pacifica Islander presence + decent high school(though not as good as WC) + {Hate the Heat} + small town feel + safety + [nice walking trails near the ocean] = Pacifica

Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Apart from proximity to the BART, Alameda would fit all your other criteria.
There is a free shuttle bus from Alameda to the Lake Merritt BART station. You can also commute from Alameda to SF via ferry.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Acalanes HS in Lafayette. Bart to the City. Orinda also has a good highschool. Both are wonderful, family communities full of professionals. Many work in the City, or teach at Cal Berkeley.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
California School Performance Maps

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think that I've decided on Fremont (economically it's what I can afford and it's not too long a drive back & forth to Monterey for my daughter & grandbaby) and appreciate the links to help me assess the schools in the area. Any local Fremont people with advice on where to stay away from would be appreciated. :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadust View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think that I've decided on Fremont (economically it's what I can afford and it's not too long a drive back & forth to Monterey for my daughter & grandbaby) and appreciate the links to help me assess the schools in the area. Any local Fremont people with advice on where to stay away from would be appreciated. :-)
There aren't really any parts of Fremont to avoid. Most of the city is safe. There are some pockets in the Irvington and Centerville areas that are a bit sketchy, but are still very tame by most peoples' standards. The most upscale part of Fremont is Mission San Jose/Warm Springs which is also very expensive. My personal favorite part of the city is the Niles district which has an old town feel and has a strong sense of community. There are plenty of good parts of town, so feel free to ask any questions about specific neighborhoods for advice.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM

I'm being fickle...sue me...it's a woman's perogative. LOL Anyone with knowledge of Castro Valley area versus Fremont? I'm planning a trip up there with the boy so we can both see what we may be getting into. The high school looks good, just wondering about the quality of life. Thanks in advance for every and all opinions. :- )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland