Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 AM

39 posts, read 58,549 times

Advertisements

Like the question says. I know the recent census numbers indicate different but I dont believe that the population actually left. A lot of blacks do not fill out these census reports to begin with it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Go to Hunter's Point and look around...

Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuntin2 View Post
Like the question says. I know the recent census numbers indicate different but I dont believe that the population actually left. A lot of blacks do not fill out these census reports to begin with it.

Did you actually check the census? It says SF has around 50,000 black residents. So no they didn't leave. Many are leaving though, and have been since the 70's. The black population is dropping in most large non-southern cities these days.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
There's still quite a few blacks in SF. However, there are almost no middle and upper class blacks in SF... the vast majority of the black population left in San Francisco lives in public housing and/or the City's poorest neighborhoods. The problematic aspect of this is that San Francisco continues to gentrify at breakneck speed... housing projects tend to be the first to go when the gentrification wrecking ball comes to town. The black population in SF is arguably the most marginalized on the West Coast.

That being said, there are a few neighborhoods (i.e. not public housing) where blacks still make up a very significant percentage... Bayview and Lakeview are the most notable ones. However, for the most part the majority of the City's black (and pacific islander) population can be found in these projects:

Sunnydale
Alemany
Double Rock
Army Street
Holly Courts
Westpoint
Downtown Filmore between Eddy and Grove
Potrero Hill
Towerside/The Bricks
Westside Courts
Valencia Gardens (what's left of it)
Hayes Valley (multiple projects)
Oakdale

Many of the city's projects have been torn down: The Outta Control Projects in Fillmore, most of the Valencia Gardens in the Mission, Hunters View in Hunters Point and the Geneva Towers in Visitación Valley are the most notable. All of those listed above will more than likely be torn down in the next decade though, and that's what will really spell trouble for SF's black population.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
SF is less black every day.

At some point, (somewhat rare) African immigrants and expats will outnumber AA.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,494 times
I was kind of surprised when I went back to Chicago last week, how comparatively white SF is.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM

151 posts, read 366,718 times
Quote:
yeah there are probably several thousand homeless blacks who did not get counted. SF's black population is highest in the Tenderloin. the rest of the old black community is on its way out. Sunnydale is mostly Asian, Hunter's Point will soon have more latinos than blacks, and Filmore doesn't exist anymore.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
yeah there are probably several thousand homeless blacks who did not get counted. SF's black population is highest in the Tenderloin. the rest of the old black community is on its way out. Sunnydale is mostly Asian, Hunter's Point will soon have more latinos than blacks, and Filmore doesn't exist anymore.

On Sunnydale, the neighborhood surrounding the projects has always been mostly Asian... the projects on the other hand are mostly black. "Sunnydale" refers more to the projects anyway. The neighborhood surrounding them is the southern half of Visitación Valley. The black population in the area took a severe hit when the Geneva Towers were knocked down... that's a lot of why the area is overall significantly more asian now. The demographics of the projects have stayed pretty static although there's starting to be a more significant hispanic population these days.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times
The Tenderloin is still majority black and the SOMA and Mid Market have notable populations. Aside from that Fillmore, HP/BV, Sunnydale, Ingleside Heights, Lower Haight, and parts of the Mission have significant black populations.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
The Tenderloin is still majority black and the SOMA and Mid Market have notable populations. Aside from that Fillmore, HP/BV, Sunnydale, Ingleside Heights, Lower Haight, and parts of the Mission have significant black populations.
If by majority you mean about 10%.

You have a weird definition of majority. Still, it's about double San Francisco's overall black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland