Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM

290 posts, read 687,054 times

Advertisements

So without giving a big ol' spiel of my situation, basically I have the possibility to relocate to San Francisco for work. Problem is, I've never even remotely looked into moving into the area like I have other cities, so I have no clue where to even start, but the pay potential is just too much to not give it the consideration..right now they're telling me between $90-$100K (I could buy a mansion here in FL with that!).

I'm 27, but will pretty much be working all the time so not concerned about living directly in a "young, hip vibe" of an area..more so that it's safe and not the slums. I'll work out of SFO, but don't need to live around there necessarily, unless traffic to and from will be horrendous.

SO..any thoughts for an area, or areas, to look into?? Just looking to rent, so apartments or condos will work for me..not buying yet.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
So without giving a big ol' spiel of my situation, basically I have the possibility to relocate to San Francisco for work. Problem is, I've never even remotely looked into moving into the area like I have other cities, so I have no clue where to even start, but the pay potential is just too much to not give it the consideration..right now they're telling me between $90-$100K (I could buy a mansion here in FL with that!).

I'm 27, but will pretty much be working all the time so not concerned about living directly in a "young, hip vibe" of an area..more so that it's safe and not the slums. I'll work out of SFO, but don't need to live around there necessarily, unless traffic to and from will be horrendous.

SO..any thoughts for an area, or areas, to look into?? Just looking to rent, so apartments or condos will work for me..not buying yet.

Thanks.
It depends on what you want...

Do you want to live in the city, where you can walk to restaurants/bars/shops or live more in the suburbs where parking is ample. What's most important besides safety? (weather, amenities etc). Traffic from SF to SFO isn't bad in the morning and SFO to SF in the evening is also not too bad.

ps. I used to live in Orlando and still have a house in Dr. Phillips. I think you'll love this area. The only drawback is when it comes to rent or buying, your dollar doesn't go very far here. However, restaurants etc are pretty cheap and are so much better than in Orlando.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,419 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Hey, im 27 also, i decided to make the move recently for a job out there in SF from Miami. I'll be in SF starting in June. I've been researching what you're asking for a month now.

It really depends on you. For me, i'm outdoorsy, love mountain biking, freediving/spearfishing, surfing, etc. so i want to be near that. I'm not a party boy, but i don't want to be too far away from some nice night life. I lived in a really safe, clean and affluent neighborhood in Miami, and i would like to have the same in SF. Also it depends on where your office is, my office is in downtown SF, so i rather not live out in the suburbs.

For me, based on my research i am interested in Marina/Cow Hollow, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, Lower Pacific Heights, North Beach, Presidio heights, and some parts of Nob Hill. Those are all on the north side of the peninsular, most are near the GG bridge which is my access to Marin headlands for my outdoor activities. And most importantly, these areas are very safe and crime free.

Of course to live in a nice clean safe neighborhood in the city, u will have to pay top dollar. My salary is a bit higher than yours, and I'm looking at rent between $2000-2500, for a studio or small 1br in those areas i listed. Compared to our prices in FL, especially Orlando, for that monthly payment you can own a mansion with tons of land, or in Miami a home on the beach or on the intracoastal.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Do you want to live in the city, where you can walk to restaurants/bars/shops or live more in the suburbs where parking is ample. What's most important besides safety? (weather, amenities etc). Traffic from SF to SFO isn't bad in the morning and SFO to SF in the evening is also not too bad.

ps. I used to live in Orlando and still have a house in Dr. Phillips. I think you'll love this area. The only drawback is when it comes to rent or buying, your dollar doesn't go very far here. However, restaurants etc are pretty cheap and are so much better than in Orlando.
Well, I don't need much to be honest. I pretty much just need a place to rest my head. Like I mentioned before, I'll more than likely constantly be working, or out and about. I am all about the downtown/night scene right now, but that's with my friends here in Orlando..don't know if I'll be so prone to do so in SF not knowing a single person. But being relatively close to those things would be nice I guess..though I know that comes with the high cost. I don't think I want to live in the 'burbs necessarily..you said you know Orlando, so I wouldn't want to be out in something comparable to Altamonte, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Longwood, etc. I enjoy the outdoors, walking around and biking, so being able to do that would be nice too.

When it comes to price, I can see from the day or so that I've been looking, you can find a decent enough 1/1 anywhere from $1750 - $2500 (and I'm sure much higher)..which really I'd want $2200/$2300 to be tops for me. But then you throw in a 2nd bedroom and it jumps to like $3500+! What the hell?! So do you know of any condo, apartment, or townhome complexes in particular that are nice?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

However, restaurants etc are pretty cheap and are so much better than in Orlando.
Ha..and I don't know how the restaurant scene couldn't be better than Orlando's constant Olive Garden, Red Lobster, & Chili's chain bonanza.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't need much to be honest. I pretty much just need a place to rest my head. Like I mentioned before, I'll more than likely constantly be working, or out and about. I am all about the downtown/night scene right now, but that's with my friends here in Orlando..don't know if I'll be so prone to do so in SF not knowing a single person. But being relatively close to those things would be nice I guess..though I know that comes with the high cost. I don't think I want to live in the 'burbs necessarily..you said you know Orlando, so I wouldn't want to be out in something comparable to Altamonte, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Longwood, etc. I enjoy the outdoors, walking around and biking, so being able to do that would be nice too.

When it comes to price, I can see from the day or so that I've been looking, you can find a decent enough 1/1 anywhere from $1750 - $2500 (and I'm sure much higher)..which really I'd want $2200/$2300 to be tops for me. But then you throw in a 2nd bedroom and it jumps to like $3500+! What the hell?! So do you know of any condo, apartment, or townhome complexes in particular that are nice?
You can find a studio in a nice part of the city for 2.3k/month. Some districts to look into in the city... Marina/Cow Hollow, SOMA/South Beach, Inner Richmond, USF/Panhandle, Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Noe Valley, North Beach/Telegraph Hill, and Potrero Hill. It sounds like a lot, but SF is very compact. Once you move to a 1 bedroom,it will be difficult to find many of the areas I mentioned. You'll probably find some in Inner Richmond, USF/Panhandle, Potrero Hill.

I consider San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, Foster City as the "burbs" its really known as the Peninsula, but they are very different from Orlando burbs. They have a lot of good restaurants, some cool bars, nice walkable downtown areas and are only a short drive to the city.

If you don't mind not being in a actual neighborhood, I'd recommend this development. It's still in San Francisco, but not in a walkable district. It's located on the opposite side of Bayview (ghetto). A hill separates the two, so you don't have to worry about crime. The cons, you have to drive to the grocery store, shops etc. You can't just walk out and go to a restaurant/bar/store like in most districts in SF. You have to drive or take public transit (Caltrain, BART via BART Shuttle, MUNI Bus, or Muni Light Rail). However, it's only 5-6 miles from downtown SF, so most of the time it takes me only 10 minutes to get to downtown, which is very short compared to driving around Orlando.

There is a little hiking/picnic area behind the development on the side of the hill. There is also a park in front of the building, but it's in bad shape. I purchased a condo here, I really like it. It's so quiet, yet I'm only a 10 minute drive to downtown SF, 10 minute drive to Daly City, 15 minute drive to Millbrae/Burlingame, and 5-10 minute drive to SFO. Rent is very reasonable too. 1 bedrooms go for around $1.8k/month, 2 bedrooms go for around $2.4k/month. It's very safe and the residents are friendly. It's mostly owner-occupied, but you do find people renting out some units, especially in the original buildings. If this sounds like something you'd want to consider, I can post pictures.

AzariPM; 2 BR/2 BA CONDO IN CANDLESTICK POINT W/FIREPLACE & WALK-IN CLOSET
AzariPM; 2BR/2BA Condo w/Large Living Room and Fireplace - CANDLESTICK POINT

Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
You have some very wide choices. If you're working at SFO, you might consider a neighborhood near a BART station, for an easy commute not only to work, but to downtown nightlife. The Mission District used to be slummy, but it's been gentrifying, and there are 2 BART stations there. Get a BART map, and work from there. There's a station at Montgomery Street, which would be close to the South of Market St. area, which has become a popular neighborhood, and is within walking distance of downtown.

Another option would be to live south of the airport, and drive to work. Like the burbs that bmw mentioned above. See Craiglist for rents. Russian Hill, North Beach, Potrero Hill, they're a long way from the airport and from BART. You can get stuck in gridlock trying to get around the city during commute hours. It depends on what your work hours will be.

Good neighborhoods that aren't landlocked in the middle of the city surrounded by traffic are the Sunset and Richmond Districts. Parts of those are near Golden Gate Park, which is a nice amenity. Some people don't like those areas because they get more fog. It's up to you.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
I'd look at parts of SF and burbs with BART stations. Glen Park and the area west of the 24th Street Station in SF would be great choices.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You can find a studio in a nice part of the city for 2.3k/month. Some districts to look into in the city... Marina/Cow Hollow, SOMA/South Beach, Inner Richmond, USF/Panhandle, Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Noe Valley, North Beach/Telegraph Hill, and Potrero Hill. It sounds like a lot, but SF is very compact. Once you move to a 1 bedroom,it will be difficult to find many of the areas I mentioned. You'll probably find some in Inner Richmond, USF/Panhandle, Potrero Hill.

I consider San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, Foster City as the "burbs" its really known as the Peninsula, but they are very different from Orlando burbs. They have a lot of good restaurants, some cool bars, nice walkable downtown areas and are only a short drive to the city.

If you don't mind not being in a actual neighborhood, I'd recommend this development. It's still in San Francisco, but not in a walkable district. It's located on the opposite side of Bayview (ghetto). A hill separates the two, so you don't have to worry about crime. The cons, you have to drive to the grocery store, shops etc. You can't just walk out and go to a restaurant/bar/store like in most districts in SF. You have to drive or take public transit (Caltrain, BART via BART Shuttle, MUNI Bus, or Muni Light Rail). However, it's only 5-6 miles from downtown SF, so most of the time it takes me only 10 minutes to get to downtown, which is very short compared to driving around Orlando.

There is a little hiking/picnic area behind the development on the side of the hill. There is also a park in front of the building, but it's in bad shape. I purchased a condo here, I really like it. It's so quiet, yet I'm only a 10 minute drive to downtown SF, 10 minute drive to Daly City, 15 minute drive to Millbrae/Burlingame, and 5-10 minute drive to SFO. Rent is very reasonable too. 1 bedrooms go for around $1.8k/month, 2 bedrooms go for around $2.4k/month. It's very safe and the residents are friendly. It's mostly owner-occupied, but you do find people renting out some units, especially in the original buildings. If this sounds like something you'd want to consider, I can post pictures.

AzariPM; 2 BR/2 BA CONDO IN CANDLESTICK POINT W/FIREPLACE & WALK-IN CLOSET
AzariPM; 2BR/2BA Condo w/Large Living Room and Fireplace - CANDLESTICK POINT
Thanks for the tips on the areas! And the place on the links you posted looks like nice and definitely decently priced. Is it as close and accessible to Candlestick Park as it looks on maps?

I went on the Azari property management's website and found a couple other places that looked okay and reasonably priced. Ones a little north of what looks like "Crocker-Amazon"..it's close to the corner of Mission St & Geneva Ave. The other is in "Mt Davidson Manor" off of Ocean Ave, just W of the City College of San Francisco. Either of those okay areas??

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the areas! And the place on the links you posted looks like nice and definitely decently priced. Is it as close and accessible to Candlestick Park as it looks on maps?

I went on the Azari property management's website and found a couple other places that looked okay and reasonably priced. Ones a little north of what looks like "Crocker-Amazon"..it's close to the corner of Mission St & Geneva Ave. The other is in "Mt Davidson Manor" off of Ocean Ave, just W of the City College of San Francisco. Either of those okay areas??
You're welcome. Yes it's literally next door. During games, you can hear the fans cheering. A lot of residents host game parties since it's literally a 2-3 minute walk to the stadium.

I wouldn't recommend Mission/Geneva. There's not much there, it's a little griddy and the weather really sucks. The good thing about Candlestick Point is the weather even during the foggy summers is almost always sunny. Mt. Davidson Manor area is nice and mostly SFRs. The weather sucks, but it has a charming feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland