U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,639 times
Default The uptown apartments in oakland safe?

I know some parts of Oakland are safe and some are not, I was just wondering if this area (william st) is safe, as I would have to walk to the 19st bart station some nights. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 PM

15,451 posts, read 9,544,309 times
Not bad, use some urban common sense when walking around at night. The streets are pretty busy these days.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM

5,582 posts, read 2,946,927 times
Yea, the neighborhood gets worse on the other side of the freeway, but there's enough happening uptown at night you shouldn't have to worry too much in that area. Like jade said, the same street sense you'd use in any urban downtown across America.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,518,932 times
It's rough.

Check the crime map reports:
Oakland Crimespotting: Map

If you can tolerate it, then by all means, but be educated.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
It's rough.

Check the crime map reports:
Oakland Crimespotting: Map

If you can tolerate it, then by all means, but be educated.
I counted three assaults in three months for the Uptown area on that map, no other crimes (much less robbery or murder). If that's considered "rough", I think you'd want to avoid city life altogether.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I counted three assaults in three months for the Uptown area on that map, no other crimes (much less robbery or murder). If that's considered "rough", I think you'd want to avoid city life altogether.
Exactly, the Uptown area is a very safe downtown neighborhood. Most downtowns are much less safe in most cities.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Within a half mile distance of the apartments there were FOUR assaults, and one armed robbery (which happened at 1:50pm, broad daylight) within the past WEEK. It's not the worst part of Oakland, but it is rough.

Either you're not reading the crime maps correctly, or there is some dishonesty in your methodology for counting violent crimes (like limiting it to only 100 yards from the apartment).

Here's another crime map that should help out:
http://www.spotcrime.com/ca/oakland

Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Within a half mile distance of the apartments there were FOUR assaults, and one armed robbery (which happened at 1:50pm, broad daylight) within the past WEEK. It's not the worst part of Oakland, but it is rough.

Either you're not reading the crime maps correctly, or there is some dishonesty in your methodology for counting violent crimes (like limiting it to only 100 yards from the apartment).

Here's another crime map that should help out:
http://www.spotcrime.com/ca/oakland
If you are looking to live in the center of downtown it would be unrealistic to expect a crime free zone. Considering, the day time population of DTO increases by 40% and it is a transit hub, it is going to have more incidents than upper Rockridge.

This doesn't mean you can't live there and go about your business without incident.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM

I agree. Living downtown is going to be more rough than living in say Rockridge, which is what I've been claiming all along. But it's nice to be truthful and inform the OP of what the area is really like instead of "masking it", with "it's safe for a downtown".

Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Well, like I told the OP, if you stay on the east side of the 580, you should be fine. I only counted the actual Uptown area, near the 19th Street Station, because that's where the OP would be walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland