U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM

920 posts, read 1,633,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Fairfax is a bit like a Santa Cruz North (or maybe Aptos or Soquel). Very Eco-friendly, cool festivals, great food, 19 Broadway for music, nice little downtown. If you can afford it and dig the vibe, it would be an awfully nice place to live.
I'm from San Geronimo, a few miles north of Fairfax. Fairfax is becoming gentrified and far more expensive and pretentious from the time I was a kid. Most the working class has moved out of the area, though there are some pockets of that sentiment. The rental market, last time I was there (2008) was ridiculous, the onslaught of vibe chasers had made the place way too crowded and far more expensive. On 60K, don't think so. In fact, 60k in the North Bay just aint gonna do it. If anyone insists on getting into The City, such as the OP seems to be bent on doing, the commute is gonna kill yass, North Bay is isolated, and Fairfax is still rural, in the sense that big box stores aren't around, unless you're down by San Rafael...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 22,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Too bad. Where are you living now? Maybe another opportunity will come up.

What's your nationality, btw? Interesting username.
Well as crazy as it sounds the very same job has come open again...what are the odds... so I am considering this move again, if by some chance I happen to be offered the position. I live in Moab Utah, born and raised in Utah, sorry to disappoint you... The username I picked up in my fascination with mountaineering, its a village near Mt Everest.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I'm from San Geronimo, a few miles north of Fairfax. Fairfax is becoming gentrified and far more expensive and pretentious from the time I was a kid. Most the working class has moved out of the area, though there are some pockets of that sentiment. The rental market, last time I was there (2008) was ridiculous, the onslaught of vibe chasers had made the place way too crowded and far more expensive. On 60K, don't think so. In fact, 60k in the North Bay just aint gonna do it. If anyone insists on getting into The City, such as the OP seems to be bent on doing, the commute is gonna kill yass, North Bay is isolated, and Fairfax is still rural, in the sense that big box stores aren't around, unless you're down by San Rafael...
Thanks for the info. Interesing some people think its doable and some such as yourself say no way.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM

88,309 posts, read 82,353,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamdrang View Post
Well as crazy as it sounds the very same job has come open again...what are the odds... so I am considering this move again, if by some chance I happen to be offered the position. I live in Moab Utah, born and raised in Utah, sorry to disappoint you... The username I picked up in my fascination with mountaineering, its a village near Mt Everest.
Thanks. I thought it sounded Tibetan.

If I were living in Moab (I'm not far away, in NM), I'd jump at the chance to work in Sausalito, and would do whatever it takes to make it work. You'll find something, if only a studio. It'll be worth it.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 PM

I wanted to update this thread in case someone finds my experience helpful. I ended up moving to Marin and taking the job. I did not settle in Sausalito but found a place in San Rafael. I lived there pretty much all of 2014 and 2015. I left at the beginning of 2016 and moved to northern CA.

I got a raise to about 71K and still found living there tough. I am single with a dog, I have no debt. I lived in a 300sf studio. Rent was $1300 the first year, $1500 the second, and the lease renewal for 2016 was $1800.

The weather is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, as is the coast. The food is first class. The city is fun and all its cracked up to be. That is about where my pros end. There are just simply too many people for my taste. Masses of people and traffic and congestion. I will admit, not my thing, and you take the pros with the cons.

As for the Bay people in general I didn't care for the rigid liberal politics and unwillingness to hear other points of view. I found the "everyone is welcome" badge that SF purports to be sort of a joke. Tolerated..maybe.. welcome not so much. "Hi, how are you?" does not mean anything of the sort... it means I barely felt obliged to acknowledge your presence but could care less how you are, and not interested in engaging until I figure out what you can do for me or I can get from you, then I will be friendly.

In Marin it was a little more small town feeling... just a little. Other than the homes on the hill the houses are all subdivided and have more people living in them then you can believe, people on top of people. You can see how it was once a very nice un-congested place to live. There was a weird "I live in the Bay" attitude. As soon as I was identified as being new to the area everyone I met started the same canned speech about how great the Bay Area is. It happened so often I think they were trying to convince themselves as much as they were me. Also I have never met so many people in "recovery", it was like a rite of passage to the locals. Just overall a vibe of dysfunction and career/money chasing that I found sterile and fake. The contrast of the cost of living with the number of homeless in San Rafael was hard to ignore. There are some nice working class humble people in San Rafael as well, but as a comparison, in my first day in northern CA (the Bay Area is NOT northern CA) I had more friendly conversations in one day then I did there in 2 years.

My commute was 12 miles up the 101 from the Marin headlands to San Rafael. This took me 25 minutes in the morning and a typical evening was 1 hour, atypical evenings 1.5...sometimes 2.

It was an adventure, i'm glad I did it, but the cost, traffic and the congestion are not for me, I need more space. I wouldn't live there again.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,377 posts, read 3,358,454 times
Quote:
I wanted to update this thread in case someone finds my experience helpful. I ended up moving to Marin and taking the job. I did not settle in Sausalito but found a place in San Rafael. I lived there pretty much all of 2014 and 2015. I left at the beginning of 2016 and moved to northern CA.

I got a raise to about 71K and still found living there tough. I am single with a dog, I have no debt. I lived in a 300sf studio. Rent was $1300 the first year, $1500 the second, and the lease renewal for 2016 was $1800.
If you could not pay that, you should have lived with roommates, that would have lowered your rent.

But at 71k, your weekly pay should be about 1800, making that 1800 rental price to be about 25% of your monthly pay. So you should have been able to afford it.

Salary Paycheck Calculator | Take Home Pay Calculator | Paycheck Calculator

I could not afford 1800 because that's more than I make per month. I can afford about 500 per month, which is what I pay. I share a one bedroom apartment.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:09 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,230,793 times
Really nice to see updates from people over the years. What general part of northern CA are you now and is the job the same kind of job you had in Sausalito and Moab?

Old 08-06-2016, 06:28 PM

5,624 posts, read 7,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
If you could not pay that, you should have lived with roommates, that would have lowered your rent.

But at 71k, your weekly pay should be about 1800, making that 1800 rental price to be about 25% of your monthly pay. So you should have been able to afford it.

Salary Paycheck Calculator | Take Home Pay Calculator | Paycheck Calculator

I could not afford 1800 because that's more than I make per month. I can afford about 500 per month, which is what I pay. I share a one bedroom apartment.
Are you for real? Nobody cares how little you make and how low your rent is. You need to find something better to do with your time than rehash the same tired schtick. The OP doesn't even live here anymore and you're trying to convince him could have lived here more cheaply?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 AM

1,422 posts, read 992,325 times
[quote=Zamdrang;45025039]I lived in a 300sf studio. Rent was $1300 the first year, $1500 the second, and the lease renewal for 2016 was $1800.[quote]

Holy cow.

Quote:
I found the "everyone is welcome" badge that SF purports to be sort of a joke. Tolerated..maybe.. welcome not so much.
I see I haven't been imagining this.

Quote:
Just overall a vibe of dysfunction and career/money chasing that I found sterile and fake.
Interesting to hear this. I mostly think Californians are kidding themselves when they talk about the slower pace of life. Compared to what? I found the East Coast relatively chill except for NYC, DC and Boston. CA isn't cheap unless you're way out in the boonies. The high taxes and outrageous housing prices make every day a hustle out here, imho. Because if you're not hustling to get a raise, make a career jump, or taking a side job, you're going to get pushed out. It's a sad reality I don't think is talked about enough here.

Thankfully there are pockets of the Bay where American normalcy still somewhat exist, albeit at a price.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:19 PM

88,309 posts, read 82,353,691 times
Quote:
It was an adventure, i'm glad I did it, but the cost, traffic and the congestion are not for me, I need more space. I wouldn't live there again.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, OP. As a born-and-raised Bay Area-ite (who has been an "expat" from the Bay for quite awhile, but continues to touch base there annually), I don't experience the weirdness you have. But that's because everyone I know there has grown up there; they're not newcomers who wear their address like a badge, which sounds like what you ran into. I'm including the north Bay when I say that.

But please let us know where in NorCal you finally settled and found to be a good environment for you. This info will be very helpful for others considering NorCal, the north coast, and other NorCal locales. A lot of negativity is tossed around here about north-NorCal on this forum, so it would be great to hear from someone who found a niche there and loves it. I'm glad you found the right place for yourself. Please share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland